UVA Postgame

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I hate to say it, but after watching all 3 phases for 9 games now, it is becoming obvious that our coaches, starting with CPJ, got themselves a little more money and security and used that as an excuse to work not quite as hard in the offseason. This includes recruiting, as well. Just heard the announcers in the Duke/Miami game saying Cutcliffe tells his kicker to kick it high deliberately to try to get kickoffs stopped deep. That is evidence of emphasizing small things. Let's face it. We lucked into Harrison Butker, but otherwise we haven't had decent ST since CPJ got here.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Hunt being suspended for violating team rules did not help either.

In the post game presser CPJ said he has done a bad job teaching the team how to win.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I hate to say it, but after watching all 3 phases for 9 games now, it is becoming obvious that our coaches, starting with CPJ, got themselves a little more money and security and used that as an excuse to work not quite as hard in the offseason. This includes recruiting, as well. Just heard the announcers in the Duke/Miami game saying Cutcliffe tells his kicker to kick it high deliberately to try to get kickoffs stopped deep. That is evidence of emphasizing small things. Let's face it. We lucked into Harrison Butker, but otherwise we haven't had decent ST since CPJ got here.
I completely disagree about this and there are 1-2 coaches I'm not a big fan of right now. I don't think they got "fat and happy" off of last season.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
It's hard to hold a team from scoring when our D has to stay on the feild a majority of the time, and keep having short fields to work with.
I agree with your post to some extent. The D has to help themselves out and get off the field. We had chances to make them go 3 and out, but instead stayed on the field for 5 minute drives.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The D gave up 400 yards, including 250 yards rushing at 5.5 yards a carry. When are we gonna start holding the D to the same standard as the O?

And yes, I do realize the O sucked also today.
I agree with this statement , but the offense affects the play of the D. They get so gassed from being out there a lot. Cpj said that we haven't created all the turnovers like last year, because we can't take a chance doing some of those things we did last year when the offense isn't scoring. I do think our D needs to get better though, mainly at the Los.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
The defense played like crap and was coached poorly against UNC and Pitt. But today's game isn't on the D. One TD was a result of personnel due to Marcordes having his helmet pop off after a great tackle for loss on the previous play. UVA OC went right after it, to his credit. Offense turned it over and left the D in such crappy field position and backbreaking situations. Not to mention losing Gotsis. To hell with the stats. I think the defense saved us from getting embarrassed. The o-line is just shameful, and this falls flat at the feet of Sewak. This guy apparently doesn't get serious about coaching unless his job is in jeopardy (last year). Yeah, I know Shaq Mason is great, but an OL is 5 players. We didn't go from sugar to s*** because of one guy. JT is playing poorly right now, but in fairness, he probably has PTSD at this point.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I will say one thing about the game.

The guys never quit.
That says and hurts a lot.

While it requires reflection, it will not stop us from driving up to the VT game.
Now for a strong drink.
You might want to reconsider. Did you see VPISU today? They looked great. We'll get annihilated.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The D gave up 400 yards, including 250 yards rushing at 5.5 yards a carry. When are we gonna start holding the D to the same standard as the O?

And yes, I do realize the O sucked also today.

Offense put up 1.75 points per drive including one set up by a turnover on the UVA side of the field. The defense gave up 2.45 points per drive including the 10 given up off of turnovers deep in our territory. Without those two drives we gave up 1.89 ppd. The defense played significantly better than the offense today just like most of the year. And just like most of the year the defense gave the offense multiple chances to take control/win the game. The D is being held to the same standard as the O. The D is just doing much better than the O this year.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Why on 3rd and 15, with a minute left in the game, are we going play action with a reverse drop? When the whole world knows we are going to throw, why do we not put our qb is the best position to complete a pass?

With a short qb and a terrible offensive line, would it not make sense to have a shotgun package for these types of situations. This would allow Justin to see the routes develope much better and might even allow him to go through his progression instead of locking in on one receiver. At the same time, would it not make sense to put our lineman in a two point stance instead of having their hand in the ground like they are about to fire off the LOS? Would this not give them a better chance to succeed?

I'm not asking to implement the pistol or anything crazy. These are just small, simple adjustments in our "everybody knows we're passing it" situations.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
1. One good season in the last 4
2. Defense full of returning starters stinks
3. A completely anemic passing attack

This sounds awfully familiar. AWFULLY.
Cancel the post season.