@UVA-1/21/17-ACCN/WatchESPN

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Played much better than I thought especially with Lammers having an off day. Couldn't buy a call for a few stretches and refs calling hand checks on us. UVA is a very tough matchup for us. Just hoping we can get back home and steal one vs FSU. Don't want to see Pastner's streak of never losing 3 in a row end. Also, noticed Mathews has not been on the bench the last 2 games. Not sure what is up.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Team didn't quit and played hard.

As I - and others - have said before. I do love seeing the passes to the cutter and back door shots. Just wish we could convert more of them.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Someone said it earlier in the thread that UVA is a good team to watch, and I caught myself thinking the same thing. They are just so efficient with their possessions. They don't make every shot, but they just don't shoot themselves in the foot. No cheap turnovers, they make the extra pass to the right guy, and their players are so fundamentally sound. Each guy plays within his game. I think Corey Heyward kinda showed what you have to do against UVA. Space out the floor. Drive to the basket, let defenders collapse, and find the open man. Whoever's guy leaves him to help on the guy with the ball needs to make himself available for the pass. Lammers took a step back to get the ball and was able to slam it home off the pass. We needed to do more of that. If the UVA collapses, and you can't find the open guy, draw the foul. Didn't see much of that.

I thought we played well for the most part. There were 3 stretches we couldn't hit shots, and we just didn't take care of the ball with stupid passes and give aways. That did us in. We would have a nice stretch of basketball but would follow it up with a stretch of carelessness.

Overall, a better showing than most thought. This game is exactly why the VT game was so important to steal...it gives us a cushion. We're under .500 in the ACC after this loss. Now we have another 2 games against REALLY good teams coming. Hopefully we can take one of those games.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Ben had a rough day - 3 for 12 from the field and 1 for 2 at the FT line :(

GT Box Score

upload_2017-1-21_16-14-28.png

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Another good showing imo. I thought for the most part we got what we wanted on both ends and just couldn't make the shots needed to keep it close. Sometimes that happens.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Ben had a rough day - 3 for 12 from the field and 1 for 2 at the FT line :(

Knew it was going to be a long day when they let UVA's big guy bang and push off without calling any fouls. Nothing Lammers can do against a big guy like that when the refs are not making calls. Ben resorted to shooting nothing but fadeaway after fadeaway.

Still, overall, pleased with the effort. Even in a loss I enjoy watching this team.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Nothing wrong with officiating today. Nothing wrong with our D today.

We have to finish plays around the basket. Also, against a team like UVA that forces a lot of mistakes, we cannot tolerate unforced turnovers.

I hope Reveno teaches Lammers to attack the basket. I hate that damn fade away he seems to love. That said, he was tired in the first half after getting beat up by the physical play. That is just not his style and will keep him out of the NBA if he cannot adjust.

The game was not as bad as I feared, and like already stated, had some truly good basketball played by Tech.

ZacketJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
We only had 2 offensive boards. I didn't know the stat until after the game, but I did notice during the game that we weren't crashing the boards on most possessions. It was almost like we were so scared of having to play in transition that we decided second chance points weren't worth it. That's something I haven't noticed in previous games.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I thought the team fought hard but they looked tired to me. The team stayed in Virginia after the VT game but they definitely didn't have fresh legs today.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Nothing wrong with officiating today. Nothing wrong with our D today.

We have to finish plays around the basket. Also, against a team like UVA that forces a lot of mistakes, we cannot tolerate unforced turnovers.

I hope Reveno teaches Lammers to attack the basket. I hate that damn fade away he seems to love. That said, he was tired in the first half after getting beat up by the physical play. That is just not his style and will keep him out of the NBA if he cannot adjust.

The game was not as bad as I feared, and like already stated, had some truly good basketball played by Tech.

Layups layups layups. Stop looking for the foul and proceed as if you're all alone.

Also. We have to spell Ben more. I don't know how, I don't get paid for that. I'm just a loud mouthed fan. 3 sub par games in a row and early on this one he wasn't rotating over on help side defense like he usually does. Never even got off the floor on a few shots.

This is one of those games you expect to lose and our guys played about as you'd expect and even fought back and grinded the lead down a few times. We just need some more fire power on O.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I thought the team fought hard but they looked tired to me. The team stayed in Virginia after the VT game but they definitely didn't have fresh legs today.
Yea, they looked like they were physically run down early in the first half and UVA's D continued to wear them out. For having limited depth they fought hard. This staff and the kids have went above and beyond were I thought they'd be this year. I was ecspecting this type of season next year. As of now we seem to be ahead of schedule. Hopefully a few days rest and being back home will help vs FSU. They're a good team but I think that matchup is better for us than UVA was.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I hate to say I told you so :cool:

Just a bad matchup on a lot of levels. They played hard and was glad to see them cut into the lead. But Lammers is not strong enough to hurt them on the block (not a knock just a fact right now) and we don't have enough deep shooting to make them pay for playing a pack line D. We stayed closer than I thought we would.

Take it and move on. I do worry about the comments about the team being tired - especially Lammers. But I got no idea what to do about it. The options are limited to put it mildly.

slugboy

Staff member
Late to post on this, but I was out all day yesterday. Compared to last year's blowout loss, this was a major improvement.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Without Ben dominating we have little chance esp on OFF.We got TWO Off rebs only got 12 FTs and only hit 7. Tadric went 1-5 so no firepower off bench.No depth,no legs.Did as well as possible.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don't know how and I don't know why, but ... we're gonna win this game.

Book it.

Well .... to be fair .... I made this prediction thinking the game was in Atlanta so ... there's that.

Still, we performed fairly well considering where we're at as a program. Still not overly impressed by UVA.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Well .... to be fair .... I made this prediction thinking the game was in Atlanta so ... there's that.

Still, we performed fairly well considering where we're at as a program. Still not overly impressed by UVA.

That "@" symbol in front of UVA on the thread subject line can be a bit confusing ;)