@UVA-1/21/17-ACCN/WatchESPN

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
This brutal stretch is half over tomorrow @UVA. The numbers are pretty similar but it's all about pace. Slow and deliberate for them and grind it out. Expect less JMo and more Corey in this one I expect. Perrantes has been on fire lately as well.

Example of how good their D is. Points given up in some games

Cal @home scored 52
Louisvile @home scored 53
Ohio State 61
PC 52
Iowa 41

Haven't seen the line yet but it's gotta be 13 or so as we are still not getting a ton of respect in Vegas.

While I don't expect a win I hope Ben has a good game as I am a bit worried the minutes are starting to get to him.

I think we get taken to the woodshed in this one

UVA 67 GT 48

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
One thing that I think gives us a chance is UVA is not a big team.

They have a 6-9 freshman who gets about 14 minutes a game and looks to be a good shot blocker and a 6-11 soph who gets 18 minutes a game but it appears almost all their production comes from guys 6-7 or smaller. I could see Lammers bouncing back from a couple of down games scoring and take advantage. Stephens could also use his size and length to his advantage and if he continues his hot shooting we might stand a chance.

My worry though is that UVA has such good perimeter players and is so well coached I fear that they'll do better offensively than some of the other team's we have faced so far.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
One thing that I think gives us a chance is UVA is not a big team.

They have a 6-9 freshman who gets about 14 minutes a game and looks to be a good shot blocker and a 6-11 soph who gets 18 minutes a game but it appears almost all their production comes from guys 6-7 or smaller. I could see Lammers bouncing back from a couple of down games scoring and take advantage. Stephens could also use his size and length to his advantage and if he continues his hot shooting we might stand a chance.

My worry though is that UVA has such good perimeter players and is so well coached I fear that they'll do better offensively than some of the other team's we have faced so far.

They play the passing lanes so aggressively that it scares me that sometimes our point guards are pretty nonchalant with the way we swing the ball we make flat passes we don't get the angle. I think that's going to lead to a lot of transition points for Virginia

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I expect them to deny the entry pass to Lammers and force us to beat them with jump shots. UVA is a very disciplined team, so do not expect them to make a ton of mistakes. Also, they are the best 3-point shooting team in the ACC. I am not optimistic. Clearly, if we win (or lose a close game) it will be major news.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Usually to beat a pack line defense you have to shoot well. UVA routinely doubles the post and has multiple players in help position to discourage penetration. Very disciplined at protecting the basket. Conceptually that doesn't bode well for us as we score most of our points on drives/cuts to the basket.

Lammers is going to have to get his points from the high post and Q (and hopefully TJ) are going to have to shoot the ball well. Oh and we will have to match their defensive intensity as well. This will be a grinding game like none we have played so far.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
I expect them to deny the entry pass to Lammers and force us to beat them with jump shots. UVA is a very disciplined team, so do not expect them to make a ton of mistakes. Also, they are the best 3-point shooting team in the ACC. I am not optimistic. Clearly, if we win (or lose a close game) it will be major news.
We've actually done a pretty nice job lately of feeding Lammers over the top when he's being denied in the post. This could lead to some easy buckets and force them to help more weak-side, making Pastner's "ASSA" strategy an effective one.

That said, I think we're going to need a near perfect game to keep this close, and will have a tough time scoring. I'd set our over under point total at 50.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
They are not going to front the post like Virginia Tech did. They will deny play behind the post and double from the other side. The goal is to make you pass out of the post To the Ball side perimeter player.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
That said, I think we're going to need a near perfect game to keep this close, and will have a tough time scoring. I'd set our over under point total at 50.

As long as we score more than 29...

Kidding aside, if we score in the 50's we're in this game. I expect the winner to score ~60.

Their pace of play is very slow (ours is slow), their defense is special (ours is pretty good). Neither team is getting to 70 in this one.

/

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I gotta say I am becoming a Tony Bennett fan. he's done a really really good job at UVA and is building something sustainable, not just when they have a kid like Brogdon or Joe Harris. I don't want them to beat Tech, but I do find myself pulling for them in other games pretty frequently.

That said, I'm not optimistic about our chances tomorrow. The Pack Line is like quick sand. they dare you to penetrate and then suffocate you once you're in the lane. It looks so open and when you get there, it's hard to find a clean passing lane out. Agree with @Peacone36 too, we need our perimeter guys to be crisp and careful with the ball (which has not been our strength) and not try to drive everything to the rim (which has been our strength, esp JO & TJ). This feels like one of our toughest matchups of the year.

scotts

Jolly Good Fellow
Some of you are still non-believers. Our defense will keep this score a lot closer than you think. Ben will come out a lot more aggressive on offense than the last game. JMo will have a much better game.
Just pray that Q can keep on making 3 pointers!

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
JMo will have a much better game.

Of the 7 in our rotation I think JMo is the most likely to struggle here. That's not a knock on Justin. I'm probably the biggest Moore fan on this board but Perrantes is a senior, he's rolling, some might say a "wiley veteran" some of the best have a hard time against him. Justin is just still very young and has probably never seen anything like what's coming tomorrow.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would expect JMo to struggle as well. Pack Line defense does not play to his strengths at all.

Should also be mentioned that UVA is very balanced and very deep. They went almost 10 deep against BC and are playing 9 regularly in ACC play.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Some of you are still non-believers. Our defense will keep this score a lot closer than you think. Ben will come out a lot more aggressive on offense than the last game. JMo will have a much better game.
Just pray that Q can keep on making 3 pointers!
I’m not worried about our defense. I’m worried about our offense giving up a ton of points off turnovers.