@UVA-1/21/17-ACCN/WatchESPN

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We keep tomorrow's game within 10/12 points and I will be jubilant about the future of our basketball program.

It is just a bad, bad match-up for us, probably as bad as any that we will have this year. Hope Q can stay HOT!!

(y)(y)(y)(y)

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
We keep tomorrow's game within 10/12 points and I will be jubilant about the future of our basketball program.

It is just a bad, bad match-up for us, probably as bad as any that we will have this year. Hope Q can stay HOT!!

(y)(y)(y)(y)
Duke is a way worse matchup. Pretty much any team loaded with 3 point shooters.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Virginia is like every other team in the ACC, they can be beat. If we look at stats all the time, we should just wave the white flag and not play the game. I'm with kg01, I think we can win this game.

The one thing you can say about Virginia is they do lack the"star". Perrantes has been red hot lately but still only averages about 12 a game. That said their offense doesn't win them games. They shut people down.

Can we win the game? Absolutely. Ben has to dominate the glass and protect the rim, our guards need to remain focused at all times, Q has to hit 3s and Jax and The OK Kid (not my best) need to get us easy buckets in transition.

If all that happens and we can get 65 points we win this game. I just think Josh Justin and Corey are going to be very hard pressed to be effective tomorrow.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If UVA wants to slow things down, it may work to our advantage in one way: Less exertion for our front line starters, especially Lammers. Let's face it, our starters are getting stretched right now because there's no one behind them.

We're going to need a good shooting night from two of the three Okogie/Q/Tadric, and a good offensive output from Lammers. HAVE to shoot well this game because I think UVA is going to protect the basket. Transition points will be a premium, and we need to capitalize. Can't blow those easy layups like we did against VT. I think our guys can hang with UVA on the defensive end.

For some reason I like us to match up better against UVA than we did against Louisville and Duke. I don't think we get blown out, but I do think a win will be hard fought to get and even then we may come up short.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
If you had to ask me who the worst team in the ACC we could face, I would say UNC averaging 89 points per game. I think if that game was played 100 more times we might not win a single time. Somehow we got the W so I won't put anything past this team. Of course we could also have a Duke performance and with UVA being the best 3 point shooting team in the ACC it could certainly get ugly. The biggest thing we need to do is be sure to get the rebounds on missed shots and hope they shoot below 40% from 3. If we can do that then this team can do what it does best and grind. We're not scared of anyone.

Side note, after years of never reading AJC comments I decided today was the day. The basketball team is performing way above expectations, there seems to be a reason to get excited about the future of the program etc. Big mistake - full of trolls or unreasonable fans. Friends don't let friends read AJC comments

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If UVA wants to slow things down, it may work to our advantage in one way: Less exertion for our front line starters, especially Lammers. Let's face it, our starters are getting stretched right now because there's no one behind them.

We're going to need a good shooting night from two of the three Okogie/Q/Tadric, and a good offensive output from Lammers. HAVE to shoot well this game because I think UVA is going to protect the basket. Transition points will be a premium, and we need to capitalize. Can't blow those easy layups like we did against VT. I think our guys can hang with UVA on the defensive end.

For some reason I like us to match up better against UVA than we did against Louisville and Duke. I don't think we get blown out, but I do think a win will be hard fought to get and even then we may come up short.

I wouldn't count on the slow tempo to necessarily mean less exertion for the starters. One of the things UVA is good at is making you play a solid 30 seconds of hard defense every time down court. Most players I know would much rather run up and down the court with a UNC type team than have to stay in a stance and slog through 30 seconds of playing defense - sliding and bumping and grinding. It really does take it out of you and is a big reason games against UVA are considered a grind - and why you hear commentators talk about how UVA grinds out games.

FWIW our offense has a little of this aspect as well. While not as slow as UVA, we will make you defend the perimeter and high post for a period of time before hitting you with a strong back cut or other movement. Defending solid offensive movement for that long is really hard. Harder than you may think.

Personal opinion is we lose in a 15 point game that is really never that close. Unless we are out of our mind with 3 point shooting, I don't see our primary offense having much success around the basket. But we will get open 3's if we move the ball quickly.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I'd be tempted to take Tech and the points. Don't know what the O/U is, but I think the under would be the play

Thank God my old bookie, Phil, has departed the mortal coil

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I haven't been keeping track, but I'm pretty sure GT has been good against the spread so far this season. We may not win, but I'd be nervous betting on that -17 spread.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
My heart tells me we can stay within 17

My head tells me we are a foul problem with Lammers away from a lot more than that

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
My heart tells me we can stay within 17

My head tells me we are a foul problem with Lammers away from a lot more than that

Buzz William obsevered, iirc, that Lammers is a top shot blocker while averaging less than two fouls a game. He rarely gets into foul trouble.