USF replay analysis

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
4 stops means 4 or 5 scores, which is 20 to 35 points if we really do some long drives and run the clock.

USF will score and I would like to see them below 28.

They averaged 37 points a game last year. The competition was week, but their strength plays into a young secondary.

We never know how it plays out of course but if we are controlling the time of possession with our run game they are limited in possessions. When I say 4 stops I’m saying they only have 6 or 7 possessions. I hope we don’t give up a TD on 3 or 4 of their possessions I’m thinking they get two TDs and one or two FGs.

Tech had the ball for 10 + mins in the 4th quarter against Alcorn St. limiting State to 2 possessions, this is the game I envision, this is the perfect game for this scenario.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Maybe it’s just my gold color glasses, but if we play to our full potential I think we beat them pretty easily. Now of course we need to play to our full potential or it could be a close one.

You don't beat anybody easily on the road in college football. Every away game, you grind out games and minimize big momentum swings (turnovers, big plays). VT did a great job of this tonight.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
You don't beat anybody easily on the road in college football. Every away game, you grind out games and minimize big momentum swings (turnovers, big plays). VT did a great job of this tonight.
Disagree, but that’s why message boards are so nice lol.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Heavy dose of the run game. USF had a poor defense last year and this should continue. GT should be able to run the ball.

My concern is that they have a pretty good offense, particularly the passing game. We’ll see if Woody can dial up some pressure and maybe get some turnovers in the passing game.
How many college games has
their qb played? I heard he has little game experience??

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We do limit possessions, but 8 would be very low. 9 to 12 is normal where others are 12 to 17. USF averages about 14 possessions a game in 2018 with 37 points. The FEI is ranked 40 even though they score a lot due to the low level of competition.

Duke has a similar rank as USF and hung 40 on GT last year. I am interested to see how the new defense handles this game.

I am confident that GT scores >28. But can the young but talented back field deal with the deep pass. There will be a bunch of short passes setting up the deep pass. I know we have good people to get the job done.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
We do limit possessions, but 8 would be very low. 9 to 12 is normal where others are 12 to 17. USF averages about 14 possessions a game in 2018 with 37 points. The FEI is ranked 40 even though they score a lot due to the low level of competition.

Duke has a similar rank as USF and hung 40 on GT last year. I am interested to see how the new defense handles this game.

I am confident that GT scores >28. But can the young but talented back field deal with the deep pass. There will be a bunch of short passes setting up the deep pass. I know we have good people to get the job done.

Definitely agree about the defense. Young athletic players in an aggressive new defense going up against a passing team will be very interesting to watch, I’m hoping our speed is to much to handle for their O line

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I am hoping we dial up some back side pressure to rattle their 5 star qb who has little game experience. Let's keep him guessing with every throw pressured and with every receiver closely shadowed. NO FREE PITCH AND CATCH.

Their dl is smallish and we should have good success as we dive till we rocket or pass.

Iij f bith side of our team play well this could be very very good for the white and gold. Got my fingers crossed.

Deleted member 2897

I am hoping we dial up some back side pressure to rattle their 5 star qb who has little game experience. Let's keep him guessing with every throw pressured and with every receiver closely shadowed. NO FREE PITCH AND CATCH.

Their dl is smallish and we should have good success as we dive till we rocket or pass.

Iij f bith side of our team play well this could be very very good for the white and gold. Got my fingers crossed.

Those bubble options and counter straight handoffs to the BB can be deadly. If they sneak up the Safeties we also have the AB routes with Searcy and Lynch. We just need to show up and play our game and we can be good.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
One thing that worries me about the assumptions that USF can’t stop our run game is that their DC coached at GT for several years, he is well familiar with our offense.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

It's okay to uncross your fingers when typing (y)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
One thing that worries me about the assumptions that USF can’t stop our run game is that their DC coached at GT for several years, he is well familiar with our offense.
Everybody is familiar with our O. It isn't that hard to figure out what plays we are going to run.

Their problem is that their D hasn't played an option team recently. Their players aren't going to be familiar with the speed of the attack. Further, the blocking schemes make the big difference. Each of the 15 or so plays we run can be executed much differently from play to play. This takes game experience to get used to.

I expect a close game. I also think we'll run the ball well and win it.

TheBullsFan

Georgia Tech Fan
Welcome to the board all you USF peeps.

I think the key to this game is if we show up to play or not. What does that mean? We haven’t won a road game since November of 2016. Last year we lead every road game except Clemson by double digits, but we lost all of them. We’ve had a real hard time of playing well on the road lately.

Good luck and health to all!
We have never won on ABC before... it's a curse.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Our record on ABC is 0-4. Thursday night games are also a curse well use to be but still.

No, I'm with you. It's clearly the ABC curse. Any suggestion that the quality of the competition has been different when you've played on ABC would just be crazy talk.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Do you know what is interesting to me? USF seems like an offensively strong team, yet their OFEI is 40 and their DFEI was 30 last year. This takes into account their strength of schedule. Now, I understand they lost their DTs from last year.

Points per game does not match the FEI ratings. They are 9th in points per game but 40th in points against. I think my mind is following this stat over the FEI stats. Its must be all about competition they played and who they scored points on and who they allowed to score points.