USF replay analysis

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
Been going back through the USF game replay tonight while taking care of a 10 month old who isn't feeling 100% and having trouble staying asleep. It's hard to judge too much based on 1 game especially a game especially one where they played vanilla offense and defense due to not wanting to put too much on film., but I want to try to give a run down of my observations of every team we play this year.

Note these are my own personal observations and could be way off base and are probably seen through gold tinted glasses looking for weaknesses that fit what we want.

USF Defense

Defensive Line- The DTs here seem to have trouble holding the point of attack and getting into the backfield. One of the few games we'll have a weight advantage (248/284/282/263). DE seem to play ok didn’t really get much push, but I think we we can run the midline well they’ll be in for a long day.

Linebackers - Show blitz a lot, but don't always bring it. Very aggressively flowing around the field. Often got caught up in the middle taking steps inside when the run would bounce outside and get caught out of position. Seem quite athletic, but don't hold their lanes well which opens them up for a counter option feast. Probably not going to be a day for the rocket toss as they flow to the ball quick, but a fake rocket throw to the bback on the wheel might go for a TD.

Corners and Safety - Did well in run support. Jaymon Thomas their senior wide receiver lead the team in tackles a lot of which were solid tackles in run support. Good size height wise across the board.

USF Offense

QB- Barrett has a pretty deep ball. Had 3 big throws in the first half down the sideline. All 3 passes had no safety help so he was able to let them hang and have the receiver run under them. Had a tendency to stare down his first target and didn't really have to work through his progression. Rushed a couple screens but has some zip on the ball which allows the receiver to make an early cut. Not really a running, but can scramble and throw a good ball on the run.

RB - Starting running back was out, but USF didn't have much of a running game and the backups didn't play too well missing blocks and cuts.

WR/TE- This is a talented group. Ability to move in space and make cuts. They have a 240 lb slot receiver in McCants who is going to be a match up nightmare. The TE runs well in space and caught a wide open touchdown over the middle. Glad we have a much taller backfield this year.

Oline- This might be the weakness for the offense. They had issue getting any push in the running game and pass blocking was inconsistent. Though for the most part they don't have to hold their blocks long with a lot of 2 step drop passes.

Overall I think we're going to ride the bback drive, midline, and trap into the ground Saturday. As long as we have clean exchanges I don't think they'll be able to stop it. We should get good enough pressure up the middle that the only reason to throw a pass is because the safetys are committed in the box.

Defensively we'll see the difference between Woody and Roof in this one. Let's hope we can get some pressure without giving up the deep ball.

slugboy

Staff member

Corners and Safety - Did well in run support. Jaymon Thomas their senior wide receiver lead the team in tackles a lot of which were solid tackles in run support.

Wait, a WR leads in tackles?

Even if it’s a safety, you usually don’t want that position leading in tackles, especially a free safety.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Maybe it’s just my gold color glasses, but if we play to our full potential I think we beat them pretty easily. Now of course we need to play to our full potential or it could be a close one.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Heavy dose of the run game. USF had a poor defense last year and this should continue. GT should be able to run the ball.

My concern is that they have a pretty good offense, particularly the passing game. We’ll see if Woody can dial up some pressure and maybe get some turnovers in the passing game.

TheBullsFan

Georgia Tech Fan
Heavy dose of the run game. USF had a poor defense last year and this should continue. GT should be able to run the ball.

My concern is that they have a pretty good offense, particularly the passing game. We’ll see if Woody can dial up some pressure and maybe get some turnovers in the passing game.
Are we really doing our analysis from a tuner game when we don't show our cards? Dangerous bubble screens and fly routes. Sure it's all we have to go off of but let's not get carried away folks.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
Are we really doing our analysis from a tuner game when we don't show our cards? Dangerous bubble screens and fly routes. Sure it's all we have to go off of but let's not get carried away folks.

Indeed I even said it was based off a game where the team played vanilla, but it's all I had to go off with the current team on the field. I plan on doing one of these for every team Tech plays and will be able to provide more info as more gets put on film. A few of my key points still stand with a vanilla gameplan though such as the DT's were getting pushed into the backfield way too easily.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

USF did not have a poor defense last year. They were #30 in Def FEI.

Acknowledging they didn't face a Pwr5 conf schedule, they still were #11 in rushing D, allowing on average 3.33 yds/carry. They were #23 in Passing D, allowing 6.4 yds/pass. They were #41 in scoring D, allowing 23.5 pts/game.

That being said, their two starting tackles are in the NFL now.

So, maybe you meant "last game" vs Elon rather than "last year"?

slugboy

Staff member
USF did not have a poor defense last year. They were #30 in Def FEI.

Acknowledging they didn't face a Pwr5 conf schedule, they still were #11 in rushing D, allowing on average 3.33 yds/carry. They were #23 in Passing D, allowing 6.4 yds/pass. They were #41 in scoring D, allowing 23.5 pts/game.

That being said, their two starting tackles are in the NFL now.

So, maybe you meant "last game" vs Elon rather than "last year"?

If the one USF game you saw last year was USF-UCF, I can understand why someone might think USF had a poor defense. UCF scored a lot, even on great defenses

We’d have gone bowling with USF’s defense last year, probably to a good one.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I saw some of the replay.On short glance it looks like to me--
it will be our run game vs their pass game
I don't think they can consistently stop our running even with little passing but they have big WRs and TE , plus get the top RB back.So we will have a big problem.
We have to prove we can win AWAY. hmmm
Could be 31-28.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
If the one USF game you saw last year was USF-UCF, I can understand why someone might think USF had a poor defense. UCF scored a lot, even on great defenses

We’d have gone bowling with USF’s defense last year, probably to a good one.

Yeah, that’s what I remember. & I stand corrected.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I saw some of the replay.On short glance it looks like to me--
it will be our run game vs their pass game
I don't think they can consistently stop our running even with little passing but they have big WRs and TE , plus get the top RB back.So we will have a big problem.
We have to prove we can win AWAY. hmmm
Could be 31-28.

The GT secondary is pretty big but just inexperienced. Have to get pressure on the qb.

Deleted member 2897

Welcome to the board all you USF peeps.

I think the key to this game is if we show up to play or not. What does that mean? We haven’t won a road game since November of 2016. Last year we lead every road game except Clemson by double digits, but we lost all of them. We’ve had a real hard time of playing well on the road lately.

Good luck and health to all!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Have you seen some of the comment from your fan base lol? We played vanilla on defense and offense just like y’all, but I’ve seen comments saying y’all will hang 40 and that they just don’t see GT being able to hang......

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I watched the USF game so I could live my fantasy role as upcoming opponent scout.

This game should be a win in my view, I agree USF will struggle with our run game. The question will be our defense. In the past several years we would have to score on most possessions. This may be a game which Woodys defense is made for. If we get 4 stops we win. We should negate their pass game with our ball control. If that does occur USF will try to go to the long game often. 3-4 sacks would be nice.

We win 34-17

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
4 stops means 4 or 5 scores, which is 20 to 35 points if we really do some long drives and run the clock.

USF will score and I would like to see them below 28.

They averaged 37 points a game last year. The competition was week, but their strength plays into a young secondary.