USF Postgame #USFvsGT

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I'm ok with Collins trying to fit the offense to what we have, I mean we aren't running full triple , but close. We just have to face the fact this is part of the rebuilding it maybe another season or two till the offense is bled of run heavy players.

I think everyone blaming the coaching and our qb just needs to chill out..we have a team that was primarily built for the triple. Re learning a throwing based offense isn't going to happen over night .

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am vary happy for the win!

The USF team GT played yesterday was no where close to the one GT played last year... look at their penalties and turnovers from last year to this year. You could say USF lost the game more than GT won the game. Also the ball bounced GTs way with the targeting call and the goal line fumble that was most likely a TD (versus two targeting calls and Will “holding” call. USF turned into a dumpster fire mid year due to team dynamics.

Just like all the naysayers last year, GT basically lost that game other than the score... ; )

I like what I see from the defense. I am looking forward to see how they play the ACC.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I’ve always heard a team shows it’s greatest improvement between the 1st and 2nd games. I hope we are the exception to the rule. It seems like we have gone from a great rushing game/non-existent passing game under Johnson to a poor rushing game/poor passing game under Collins. The offense needs to step it up quickly or this is going to be a long season.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
The money down thing has got to go. It's going to be embarrassing as the season goes on and Tech will be the butt of a lot of jokes.

I don’t like it, either. And certainly I’d rather see it go away. But I think you think people care about what GT does more than they actually do. Other schools/teams have rally signs and stuff and sure, occasionally they get made into memes (which are usually pretty funny). And nobody really cares and it doesn’t hurt anything other than the feelings of the people who feel insulted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
We knew coming in ( or at least some of us did ) that this was going to be a transition year. The team has bought in , they are giving it all they can. I don't necessarily agree with the QB shuffle , but at this point I am willing to trust CGC on this.
I thought before the game , and made my prediction , that this would be a low scoring UGLY win. I saw a desperate USF playing an evolving Tech team that is still a work in progress.
What we need this year IMO is what we have needed for many years, a downfield passing threat that will turn the safeties and CBs around to chase our WRs. At this point the opposing defenses are able to keep everything in front of them and count on our O misfiring. That strategy has been effective against us.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Look at who USF beat last year during their amazing 7 game win streak:

FCS Elon by 20
7-6 GT by 11
4-8 Illinois by 6
3-9 ECU by 7
4-8 UMASS by 16
3-9 Tulsa by 1
1-11 UCONN by 8

Then their 6 game losing streak
8-5 Huoston lose by 21
7-6 Tulane lose by 26
11-2 Cincy lose by 12
8-5 Temple lose by 10
12-1 UCF by 28
9-4 Marshall by 18

They were crap last year and we lost to them. They are crap this year and we beat them. End of story. Quit crapping on a win because Collins could do twice what your boy couldn't once.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm with InsideLB and Yaller Jacket on QB situation. I hated playing 3 against clemson and was not happy to see it again against USF, but watching the game, it is clear that TO can't hit the throws ( I love him), Lucas is a danger to make a turnover and Graham (I love him too) looks young and not ready. I say, keep playing all of them (I presume coaches know best anyway) until someone separates themselves. Regardless, TO will be in for short yardage and maybe some gadget plays. It is not ideal, if you have 3 qbs, you dont have any.

BTW, my 6 year old daughter LOVED "Money Down!"

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
We knew coming in ( or at least some of us did ) that this was going to be a transition year. The team has bought in , they are giving it all they can. I don't necessarily agree with the QB shuffle , but at this point I am willing to trust CGC on this.
I thought before the game , and made my prediction , that this would be a low scoring UGLY win. I saw a desperate USF playing an evolving Tech team that is still a work in progress.
What we need this year IMO is what we have needed for many years, a downfield passing threat that will turn the safeties and CBs around to chase our WRs. At this point the opposing defenses are able to keep everything in front of them and count on our O misfiring. That strategy has been effective against us.

My issue so far is that winning is better than scheme. "We will run a pro style spread, but we are going to run what gives us the best chance to win" and the actions on the field are not congruent to this. IMO we should have had the same gameplan for this game as we had for clemson. Lots of zone read with TO, and we definitely need to have that gameplan for the next game or citadel will embarrass us. Lucas has a live arm but we also knwo given the limited stuff we saw of him in CPJ's offense he can run. However right new he looks like he is second guessing everything, he's not reading on his throws, he's ancy in the pocket but he's also unwilling to commit for the scramble.

Graham looks confident (even if he maybe shouldn't be) but so far he's not be able to decipher fronts (he's young). TO gives us the best chance for immediate results. Winning is more important than appearances. You get us to 6 wins and a bowl game you get extra practices to help hone everything for next year. That extra time is what we need to be playing for.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is a good bit overstated. The 2008 defense was 49th in DFEI. It was better than the defenses we had the rest of the way, but it was nowhere close to elite.

Elite was probably excessive but that defense carried our team. With a typical Johnson era defense that team would've probably lost at least two more (and one of those would've been G-W). The offense finally clicked in November (just in time to beat Miami and the mutts).

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Elite was probably excessive but that defense carried our team. With a typical Johnson era defense that team would've probably lost at least two more (and one of those would've been G-W). The offense finally clicked in November (just in time to beat Miami and the mutts).

The upside of a struggling johnson offense is you are still draining the clock and reducing the drive count. Means as long as your defense is forcing field goals you got a good shot of not failing hard and wining close games.

This one like all passing oriented offenses has the potential for 30 second three and outs which can lead to blowouts quick (see clemson first quarter) where mistakes get amplified even more and you give potentially explosive offenses the ball back quick.

I mean how many times did we in teh last 11 years also benefit from this. where we woudl death march and score, the opponent would go three and out in 45 seconds and their defense is back on the field to get DM'd again.

Now this can be done with a zone run scheme too its not unique to johnson's offense. but the uptempo spread always runs the risk of turning a manageble game into a runaway blowout if your offense isn't clicking.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
If players are listening to PA announcements to get fired up.....we have even bigger problems.

This is something I will never understand. Any time someone points out something that the players like, such as music, gimmicky stuff, or uniforms the response from folks who don’t like it is something such as “well if that fires up the players then we have bigger problems.” Why do you care so much WHAT fires up the players? And why is it so important to you that we should squash anything that they do like? Kids are different than they were 10, 20, 30 years ago. Different things make them happy. Whatever fires them up is fine with me. If a PA announcement fires them up then great. Make the PA announcement and that doesn’t even indicate a small problem about them.

What I care about is the team winning and if things that are silly to me make those kids happy then yeah, I’ll jump up and down and scream at Money Down even if I think it is ridiculous (which I do). And I’ll put up with music I don’t particularly like because it makes them happy and when they are happy they play better. And I care more about them playing better than I do about my feelings about the music or the money down thing.

I feel like the uniforms are a bit different than those because the uniforms do represent our school and so I prefer that if we give the players choices of what uniform makes them happy that those choices are our primary colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Really just 2 bad plays on D. The blown coverage and the Barnett run where we couldn't tackle. It's nice overall to see us actually be able to tackle.

I think the offense can be decent if we at least just drop down to 2 QB's. I'm a fan of the 2 QB system but 3 is ridiculous. TO is too talented to not see the field and I think Graham is probably the better passer between him and LJ. Need to design more routes to get the ball in Brown's hands as well.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We were very fortunate to get that fumble on the goal line. We aren't built for comebacks with what we have now. Was Camp hurt. I don't recall hearing his name called. The fumble on the TE was as much on the QB. They did make a good hit on a vulnerable receiver. They made too many mistakes and we didn’t .