UPDATED TO 3.5 M! AD Email - GEORGIA TECH LAUNCHES COMPETITIVE DRIVE INITIATIVE

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Screenshot_20221027-102442_DuckDuckGo.jpg

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Also a fund-raising goal of 2.5 million in in 65 days is pretty aggressive. That's approximately $38,500 per day above previous year's giving quantities.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Why cap the match at $2.5 million? That seems low considering the endowment is over $2 billion. Also, a total of $5 million is only half of the Collins' buyout.
It's $38,500/day above previous year giving. That's a pretty ambitious goal in the middle of inflation/start of a recession + the holiday season. Let's find a way to meet the goal Jackets.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Yeah the "above previous giving" stipulation is a tough one and likely why the cap is there. You don't want to "miss" the target on your first roll out of the gate. I wonder if we have a kicker in line for if/when we beat the number quickly as a reserve option.

I did see corporate matches count, so if you're eligible for 1:1 with your company you get essentially quad points on new gifts.
$1 from you = $1 Original donation + $1 from Company + $2 Match from Donor X = $4 given.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I did see corporate matches count, so if you're eligible for 1:1 with your company you get essentially quad points on new gifts.
$1 from you = $1 Original donation + $1 from Company + $2 Match from Donor X = $4 given.
Yeah...it means that if you can somehow give $7,500 and have matching from your company for that amount, you would be able to give a full scholarship and be in the insider's clubs (meetings with the AD, etc.)
Or if you can give $750 you'll be a "Golden T" member and get the nice little "T" lapel pin and get an invitation to the hospitality suite for a home game.

*Note: Most companies limit the amount that they'll match, so check with your companies policies.

Last edited:

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Sweet! Time to get out the checkbook.

Uh-oh...I just read the fine print. Looks like this is being specifically targeted to draw in new donors:
To be eligible for the dollar-for-dollar match, a donor must make a new gift to the Athletic Scholarship Fund by Dec. 31. For donors that made gifts to the Athletic Scholarship Fund during the 2022 Giving Year (July 1, 2021-June 30, 2022), a new gift is defined as any amount greater than that donated in 2022, and the match will be applied to the amount of the new gift.
That's not a bad thing, per se...but for those of us who already gave in the previous giving year, it will be necessary to "up the ante" in order to earn the match.

Last edited:

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
This is great. But one question/concern. Did I read it right that this initiative only lasts about eight weeks? Is that normal? Just seems like odd timing because the holidays are when people are most strapped for cash. For the less financially stable and/or younger crowd, there’s only four paychecks between the start and end of this initiative, and people are saving up to travel/buy gifts. Just wish they gave folks more time to save up/figure out how to donate - if I was still a young alumni, I’d find it hard to set aside any kind of significant cash over the holidays to donate.