UPDATED TO 3.5 M! AD Email - GEORGIA TECH LAUNCHES COMPETITIVE DRIVE INITIATIVE

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I was going to ask if Lady Buzz actually identifies as female...or even as a Yellow Jacket...but I decided not to ask that question.

No, siree...not going there. Not getting banned for that. Nope. Nope. Nope.
+1
Glad you "didn't" before I "didn't" so that I don't have to ☺️

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I'm excited about GT's future with Batt at the helm. Originally I wanted someone from a smaller who had to do "more with less", but with Batt, we're getting the best of both worlds. Someone who had experience raising funds at small schools, but operational insight and hands on executive level experience at what is widely regarded as the most well run and best athletics department in the country.

One thing that stands out to me in that article is Batt's ability to form deep connections with everyone. People are sad to see him leave, but are actively rooting for him to succeed. It means he treats people the right way, and will do the same at GT. It also means he has deep contacts all over the country...which he can leverage when searching for a coach. Yes, we have Parker Executive running point on the HFC search, but at certain levels PES won't get all the information GT might want about candidates. I'm pretty sure if Batt has a connection to a candidate, that connection would not hold back because they want to see him do well.

The HFC football coach will be the biggest decision he'll make to this point in his career, and will dictate the trajectory of our program for possibly the next decade. I feel much better about Batt finding a HFC than I would have with someone else.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'm excited about GT's future with Batt at the helm. Originally I wanted someone from a smaller who had to do "more with less", but with Batt, we're getting the best of both worlds. Someone who had experience raising funds at small schools, but operational insight and hands on executive level experience at what is widely regarded as the most well run and best athletics department in the country.

One thing that stands out to me in that article is Batt's ability to form deep connections with everyone. People are sad to see him leave, but are actively rooting for him to succeed. It means he treats people the right way, and will do the same at GT. It also means he has deep contacts all over the country...which he can leverage when searching for a coach. Yes, we have Parker Executive running point on the HFC search, but at certain levels PES won't get all the information GT might want about candidates. I'm pretty sure if Batt has a connection to a candidate, that connection would not hold back because they want to see him do well.

The HFC football coach will be the biggest decision he'll make to this point in his career, and will dictate the trajectory of our program for possibly the next decade. I feel much better about Batt finding a HFC than I would have with someone else.
You never know how something will turn out in the end. The reaction to the whole Collins fiasco appears to have (hopefully) spurred Tech to find a top-notch AD who will lead us out of the wilderness and on to the land of plenty. Just from what I've read, I have faith in Batt and faith in the process. I thought they were throwing money away on the consulting firm, but so far, so good.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
The one thing I keep hearing about Batt is how involved he is with the daily running of athletic programs unlike most AD’s. I know at Bama he was considered the head of operations over Basketball and Baseball. He’s the main reason why Nate Oats is the coach for basketball at bama, he led the search for a basketball HC. He had a massive part in all of the hirings across all sports during his 5 years while in Tuscaloosa. He basically ran the Basketball and Baseball programs on a day to day basis while there. From everyone I’ve talked to that I know at tech and some other schools, J Batt was truly a homerun hire and brings more to the table then your “typical athletic director”.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The one thing I keep hearing about Batt is how involved he is with the daily running of athletic programs unlike most AD’s. I know at Bama he was considered the head of operations over Basketball and Baseball. He’s the main reason why Nate Oats is the coach for basketball at bama, he led the search for a basketball HC. He had a massive part in all of the hirings across all sports during his 5 years while in Tuscaloosa. He basically ran the Basketball and Baseball programs on a day to day basis while there. From everyone I’ve talked to that I know at tech and some other schools, J Batt was truly a homerun hire and brings more to the table then your “typical athletic director”.
I appreciate your detail info about Batt s hands on supervision style.

slugboy

Staff member
That was an excellent hire and I'm feeling good about Batt. I hope he doesn't go back to Bama though...
One of the main jobs of a good leader is to find or cultivate their replacement. A really good AD retires or moves on and gets replaced by a better one who starts with a healthy AA
I’m not worried about an AD or HC leaving; I’m worried that they will leave before fixing issues and not leaving something better for the next person to start with.

Last edited: