'Unsung Hero of the Game' award...

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
...goes to the SEC refs.

Did anyone notice on (u)GA's final scoring drive in regulation that on the 'incomplete pass' review, the refs set the clock all the way back to 38 seconds—which was what the clock read at the start of that play? They whistled the play dead and called for the review with the clock at 0:22, and the play had not been over for more than 4-5 seconds at that point. A realistic reset would have been to reset the clock to something like 0:28, tops.

The homer refs obviously gave the dwags extra—and undeserved—time to get their needed TD. If they had given a fair clock reset, we would have had less than 10 seconds left in regulation, and even with the pooch-kick, it would have been over for us. Instead, we had just enough time to get off a play to get into field goal range.

Thank you, SEC officials! (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
It was the ONLY thing they did that helped us one iota. Those idiot refs screwed us out of a touchdown and gave it to the dwags, and I fail to see how Tech fans armed with nothing more than a DVR and freeze frame can clearly show that the football crossed the plane, but the refs with their "equipment" can't see that they were dead wrong. And where was the *** **** whistle?!?

slugboy

Staff member
I thought there was a ton of home cooking by the SEC refs. Both fumbles, and I can't even remember all the calls I disagreed with. It was definitely in spite of than because of them

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
The incomplete pass looked just like he spiked it, except outside the tackle box. Both of those plays looked like easy calls, just glad that they didn't determine the outcome. I woulda been pissed

pckl300

Georgia Tech Fan
Why was the JT fumble return play not blown dead? Why was that second fumble of his not an incomplete pass? These are pretty basic calls.
The only thing I can think of on the second one is that he may have actually released the ball backwards due to the way it stuck in his hand, making it a lateral.

On the fumble, it was ruled a 97 yard touchdown. Since JT had the ball over/at/or just about at the goal line, how did UGA pull the ball out 3 yards from the point of forward motion and yet no whistle blown?...........and that was a comment from a Dwag fan sitting in front of me.
What kills me is that they try to do that every year. CPJ needs to coach the boys to get their yards and get down so they can't stand you up and strip it out.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
SEC refs on the field and in the booth.
Not according to what was said during the broadcast and also during the Clemson/USCe game. The mixed officiating would be consistent with what I've heard before too. However, I could be wrong and don't have a strong opinion on the matter. I didn't read the rule; just going by what was reported.

DawgCatcher

Georgia Tech Fan
Here's how one sports commentator put it...

"Thomas was piled up at the goal line and the play kept going and going and going and eventually Georgia’s Damian Swann ripped the ball from his hands and raced 99 yards for a touchdown. Watching the play on replay, Thomas’ forward progress was stopped for more than four seconds – an eternity in that situation – but the officials’ collective whistles were swallowed in their small intestines."

I believe Thomas actually scored on that play, but the SEC refs were being paid under the table.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Here's how one sports commentator put it...

"Thomas was piled up at the goal line and the play kept going and going and going and eventually Georgia’s Damian Swann ripped the ball from his hands and raced 99 yards for a touchdown. Watching the play on replay, Thomas’ forward progress was stopped for more than four seconds – an eternity in that situation – but the officials’ collective whistles were swallowed in their small intestines."

I believe Thomas actually scored on that play, but the SEC refs were being paid under the table.
These refs were clearly trying to fix the game. It was unbelievably shady. Thomas had a touchdown. Then they rewrite the rule book to say he fumbled when his feet had left the ground and he was throwing his arm and ball forward.

There is no rational way to understand what the refs did on those two plays as being mistakes. It was straight up cheating on behalf of UGA/SEC.

DawgCatcher

Georgia Tech Fan
I saw this on a related thread here...

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/mike-pereira-criticizes-sec-officials/

I believe Paul Johnson should make a formal complaint and make a stink in the media about this to Mr. Mike Slive, the SEC Commissioner, and National Officiating Coordinator, Rogers Redding (a former SEC Officials Coordinator). This is right up there with the dirty treatment Georgia Tech gets from the stacked deck of 9 UGA graduates versus 3 Tech graduates on the Georgia Board of Regents.