Uniform thread

Mitch Matthews

Georgia Tech Fan
I think we should keep them too. Get some uniforms that are synonymous with the CPJ era instead of changing up every year hahaha

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Do you mean a black stripe on the jersey or on the pants? Regular use of a black jersey did not occur until 1984.
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/geot/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/uniforms.pdf

I wonder if part of the confusion over this has to do with black and white photos. A navy blue jersey always looks black in old black and white photos. Same thing happens with old photos of ND or Navy.

As regards Dodd, both jersey and pant stripes had the black. In his day, when Dodd's teams wore a Gold shirt, it was awful. Really awful. Kinda a piss yellow that looked nothing like the Gold hat they wore.

Like I said, I am not sure if, in the 40's Dodd's teams wore blue shirts, or blue trim. But in the 50's / 60's, they wore vary rarely a black shirt, but his unis during that time always had black trim.

Funny, but you can hear a lot of GT folks now screaming about wearing black and references to uga.

I remember in the mid to late 80's when we started using blue my Dad would say, "what are they doing - trying to look like Auburn!?"

Oh well.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
As regards Dodd, both jersey and pant stripes had the black. In his day, when Dodd's teams wore a Gold shirt, it was awful. Really awful. Kinda a piss yellow that looked nothing like the Gold hat they wore.

Like I said, I am not sure if, in the 40's Dodd's teams wore blue shirts, or blue trim. But in the 50's / 60's, they wore vary rarely a black shirt, but his unis during that time always had black trim.

Funny, but you can hear a lot of GT folks now screaming about wearing black and references to uga.

I remember in the mid to late 80's when we started using blue my Dad would say, "what are they doing - trying to look like Auburn!?"

Oh well.
So it sounds like we at least agree that black jerseys were rarely worn until Curry. Which fits everything I have ever read in Ga Tech press guides. Interesting about your father, since blue had been one of the most commonly used color for jerseys until white took over and became the dominant jersey color used.

Nate Anderson

Jolly Good Fellow
Not to stereotype or anything, but... It seems to me that the kids and teenagers love the brighter, crazier, and more fun uniforms. I feel like the older you get, the more you do not care about the jersey and the more simple you want it to be.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Not to stereotype or anything, but... It seems to me that the kids and teenagers love the brighter, crazier, and more fun uniforms. I feel like the older you get, the more you do not care about the jersey and the more simple you want it to be.

Would not disagree at all, but wonder if there is any uni mindset when kids look at Texas, PSU or bama unis?

Tradition trumps unis?

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
t1_wheeler.jpg

Just saw this somewhere. I know some didn't like wearing gold at home, but dang, this looked good. Closest it seems to matching
helmet and jersey colors, too.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 834
Just saw this somewhere. I know some didn't like wearing gold at home, but dang, this looked good. Closest it seems to matching
helmet and jersey colors, too.
I would have to say the years with Wheeler,Calvin, and Choice were the best Unis we've had since I've been watching Tech play. Though I liked this year's unis too. There really is a way to get the best of both worlds. Tradition and Sleek. Leave the overly fancy stuff to the gloves, socks, shoes ETC.