Uniform thread

jackette

Jolly Good Fellow
3604bd567274075d38de6f7c011901f0.jpg
that looks Bad to the Bone wow

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I found a couple articles on the Russell deal. The current 10 year deal was signed in 2008 and thus runs through 2018. Russell is headquartered in Atlanta, and here is a quote from the second article: Russell Athletic Exec VP Gary Barfield said GT "is probably our premier relationship, and being in Atlanta the proximity allows us to develop things using their athletes."
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/genrel/081908aab.html
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...Signs-10-Year-Deal-With-Russell-Athletic.aspx

I also found an article from yellowjackedup that indicates we are not exclusive to Russell (Nike provides our shoes) and a theory that Under Armour might be making a push to replace Russell after 2018.
http://yellowjackedup.com/2014/08/25/armour-making-push-next-georgia-tech-apparel-deal/

didn't that deal in '08 kind of bail out the Atheletic Dept. from a mountain of debt? like a lifeline?

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I'll toast to that!!!

There is soOOOOOOOO much we need to talk about.... I will give us some topics for consideration

1) What exactly IS the right shade of GOLD,

2) What are the contributing factors for our current agreement with Russell. How can we implicate Swafford in that one.

3) How many recruits have we lost due to the fact we are not NIKE or Under ARMOR. I will start with an over under of 5

4) How many more games would we have won wearing Nike.....I will start us off at 2.

5) Is the REAL reason why we don't have NIKE or UA because we run the WISHBONE offense. Nike secrectly doesn't want to associate itself with something so backward

6) I am pretty sure that our current uni's are the reason why maryland got the B1G bid over us. If only we had been wearing UA!!! Because I for one am counting down the days for us to leave the ACC (that is sarcasm by the way)

7) How much we either HATE or LOVE the BLUE uni's

8) How our official UNI should be the throwback ones, somebody quick insert the picture of Calvin Johnson wearing them

9) How our official Uni should be the ones with Tashard Choice (again use the pic for references)

That should atleast take this thread to 20 or so pages...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
There is soOOOOOOOO much we need to talk about.... I will give us some topics for consideration

1) What exactly IS the right shade of GOLD,

2) What are the contributing factors for our current agreement with Russell. How can we implicate Swafford in that one.

3) How many recruits have we lost due to the fact we are not NIKE or Under ARMOR. I will start with an over under of 5

4) How many more games would we have won wearing Nike.....I will start us off at 2.

5) Is the REAL reason why we don't have NIKE or UA because we run the WISHBONE offense. Nike secrectly doesn't want to associate itself with something so backward

6) I am pretty sure that our current uni's are the reason why maryland got the B1G bid over us. If only we had been wearing UA!!! Because I for one am counting down the days for us to leave the ACC (that is sarcasm by the way)

7) How much we either HATE or LOVE the BLUE uni's

8) How our official UNI should be the throwback ones, somebody quick insert the picture of Calvin Johnson wearing them

9) How our official Uni should be the ones with Tashard Choice (again use the pic for references)

That should atleast take this thread to 20 or so pages...

Should GTSwarm.com use Navy Blue instead of Black?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
LOOOONG ago, Russell was run or started or something, by Fob James ( former Governor of Alabama) and his brother Cal James (former GT athlete and letter winner).

Believe their association is long past.

I was once told, about 5/6 years ago, that input on uni designs included input from GTAA / the athletes / and Russell. But the person could/would not say what % of that input was from Russell.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Also, as regards blue vs black, we had traditionally used black.

But back in the 80's a guy named Cremins came in and used a blue road uni - with pretty good success. And this guy named curry was still using black and losing / tying games with furman.

Someone said we need to standardize the 3rd color.

Given, at the time, the above scenarios, which do you think was the obvious choice?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Also, as regards blue vs black, we had traditionally used black.

But back in the 80's a guy named Cremins came in and used a blue road uni - with pretty good success. And this guy named curry was still using black and losing / tying games with furman.

Someone said we need to standardize the 3rd color.

Given, at the time, the above scenarios, which do you think was the obvious choice?
I'll say it again, if blue was good enough for Heisman, Dodd, Ross and Johnson, it is good enough for me.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Dodd used BOTH blue and black at different times in his tenure. Black is as official and blue as an accent color.
I am not sure about that. If we are talking jersey color I have always read that Dodd went with blue. The following is from Wikipedia which summarizes what I have read from multiple Tech archive articles: "The official school colors for Georgia Tech are old gold and white. Navy blue is often used as a secondary color and for alternate jerseys while black has been used on rare occasion." The "rare occasion" refers primarily to the Curry years.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure about that. If we are talking jersey color I have always read that Dodd went with blue. The following is from Wikipedia which summarizes what I have read from multiple Tech archive articles: "The official school colors for Georgia Tech are old gold and white. Navy blue is often used as a secondary color and for alternate jerseys while black has been used on rare occasion." The "rare occasion" refers primarily to the Curry years.

Dodd, very Early On in his tenure used blue at times. But in his "heyday" from early 50's until 66 used black. The above reference is to more modern times after that I believe.

I do not care which it is as long as it is standard for the entire athletic program, but appears that blue is where we are going.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Most important things to look for in a uniform:

1. Is the uniform truly uniform?
Inconsistencies between uniforms worn by various players is intolerable.

2. Is the uniform too revealing?
A few years ago, some NFL white uniform pants would reveal what was underneath once the uniform became saturated with sweat. As you can see in the example below, this is unacceptable.

3. Is the uniform of quality material?
Having uniforms rip during the normal course of practice and games is not good.

4. Are the uniform numbers legible from the upper reaches of the stadium?
I want to know who made play without having to listen for the PA announcer.