#UNCvsGT Postgame

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I have been going to BDS since 1981 and point blank I HATE playing at MBS
But do you only hate MBS because you prefer the tradition/sentimental value of BDS? In my OP I wondered how anybody could actually enjoy the gameday experience at BDS more than MBS. I would be interested to hear why you view it that way.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
What I like about MBS vs BDS:

1. Better concessions with shorter lines
2. Better bathrooms with shorter lines
3. TVs everywhere including the restroom so I can keep up with the action when away from my seat
4. Complimentary Wifi (and it works) in the stadium so I can easily keep up with other scores
5. Better sound system
6. Better video board
7. Easier to exit stadium
8. Easier to exit parking lots/less congestion
9. Escalators to upper level seats

What I like about BDS vs MDS:

1. Tradition
2. I can actually hear the band play.
3. Better pregame tailgating opportunities

Now, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to play more than 1 game a year at MBS, but there is a LOT that I like about it when we do.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
But do you only hate MBS because you prefer the tradition/sentimental value of BDS? In my OP I wondered how anybody could actually enjoy the gameday experience at BDS more than MBS. I would be interested to hear why you view it that way.
I think a college should be on college campus if it's not a bowl game. Tradition is what college football is about. Maybe it's cause after 40 years I know where to go what to do or see the things I want to do at Tech. To me and only me MBS has no tradition for football . Here are a few teams that do play their games on campus Connecticut. Miami (FL), South Florida. Temple, Pittsburgh, Memphis are they places you would like to go see a game?

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Go rewatch the first quarter, he was involved on a lot of plays
I think Tre is playing better than people give him credit for. When you don't hear his name, that is a good thing. He draws the opposing team top wide receiver usually. I knew putting him at nickel to start the season was a mistake, He is not a great tackler, not horrible, but not great. Getting him back to corner was the right move and where he should be. His skill set is matching up one-on-one. He did get beat deep one time and Howell overthrew but every corner is going to get beat in one-on-one against great receivers - and he was not that far beat which makes it tough on the QB. I really didn't think Walton had that bad of coverage when he got beat deep - it was a great pass. Tre is valuable.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I think a college should be on college campus if it's not a bowl game. Tradition is what college football is about. Maybe it's cause after 40 years I know where to go what to do or see the things I want to do at Tech. To me and only me MBS has no tradition for football . Here are a few teams that do play their games on campus Connecticut. Miami (FL), South Florida. Temple, Pittsburgh, Memphis are they places you would like to go see a game?
That’s a fair POV. But in my opinion the pros of the MBS experience far outweigh the value of tradition that BDS offers. MBS is also within walking distance of campus, it’s less than 1.5 miles from BDS. Here are some other schools that play their home games “off campus”: UCLA, Oregon, NC State, Baylor, and South Carolina. Did you know that USCe’s and NCSU’s stadiums were further away from their campus than MBS is from BDS? Even still, almost all of those stadiums are much more modern than BDS, with a better total package for fan experience. I also said in my OP that I wouldn’t want every home game moved to MBS permanently, but I’d be perfectly fine with playing a season or 2 there will BDS is completely renovated.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Was finally able to watch the game last night.

-best performance of Collin's tenure, so far. we put one foot forward last week, and we took another step this week. Let's hope we can keep the trend going and pick up some momentum for the rest of the acc slate.

-defense punch unc in the mouth early and often. Jaylon King's big hit early set the tone - this was going to be a physical game. DL was very effective, never got pushed back off the ball. C. Thomas and Quez were machines. Good to hear Josh Robinson's name get called. I noted too at one point we had 81 yards of offense and 13 points, which is almost all the defense's doing by putting the offense in a position to score easily. even when being blatantly held, the dl was still fighting through. djimon brooks had a good tfl like that. Love Thacker when he's pumped, very Brent Venables-esque.

-reffing was abysmal. targeting rule needs to be reviewed in the offseason, waaaay too much grey area as it stands. Quez's hit was closer to targeting than Riq's hit last week, though I don't think either was worth the call. The non targeting call on UNC against mcgowan was crap though, a defenseless player and he clearly launched himself at him. unc got away with a lot of crap all night on both sides of the ball. dontae smith may have been given the crappiest call by a collegiate official all season, zero chance that wouldn't have been a touchdown.

-We were explosive on offense in this game moreso than we've been in any other games this season, and I think that's a product of Sims being out there. Yates was playing fairly well, but he's much more methodical working the team down the field. Yates reminds me a bit of Tevin mixed with JT - not the most naturally gifted player, but excellent decision making, and a gamer.

-offenseive play calling at the beginning of the game seemed meh, improved when sims went in. blocking was definitely worse early on for yates and improved over the course of the game. 2 back set was great, want to see more of that. we ran well and passed well. mcgowan plowed over a defender at one point like "i'm better than you and I'm going to make sure you know it". great play by Carter for the td. I like the tempo changes, we caught unc unprepared several times.

- we got lucky a few times with unc screwing up unassisted (missed fg, dropped TD pass), but even if they hadn't screwed those up we would have still won.

-problems getting the defense set on UNCs first td, same problem we've had in the past. this was the only time it waa obvious this game

-a couple times howell faked out our guys pretending to throw the ball and they turned away instead of sacking him, gotta keep our eyes open and focused. makius did it once and so did ivey.

-in the first half, there was a play where gibbs was tripped up in the backfield by an untouched defender. upon review, the whole play went left, except 77 (cochran?) who pulled and went right like he was going to lead block or something. the guy who was lined up on him is who made the play, so what the heck was he supposed to be doing? seemed like he was confused on what the play call was.

-we still arent good at punt returns. way too many unc players flying untouched towards the returner and hardly any Tech players in the area.

-unc seemed to run the ball fairly well, but didn't do it enough. I think they got scared from the few times we stopped them with 1 to go. would have done better to run more and stop leaving howell to get sacked. he and downs will play on Sundays.

- our secondary started to get soft the last 6 minutes or so of the 3rd quarter. lot's of confusion, juanyeh obviously frustrated several times

- clock mgmt issues were significantly less this week. I have no issue with Sims calling that TO in the 4th, whether the play worked or not.

- i assume white is still out, and saw someone say clayton was sidelined as well. Where is Kevin Harris at? It looks like he has 2 tackles so far this season. Not what I would have expected given the preseason hype that he was ruining drills because he was so dominant against the o line.

-anybody know who the guy in the neon pink gt shirt was?

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

-best performance of Collin's tenure, so far. we put one foot forward last week, and we took another step this week. Let's hope we can keep the trend going and pick up some momentum for the rest of the acc slate.

-defense punch unc in the mouth early and often. Jaylon King's big hit early set the tone - this was going to be a physical game. DL was very effective, never got pushed back off the ball. C. Thomas and Quez were machines. Good to hear Josh Robinson's name get called. I noted too at one point we had 81 yards of offense and 13 points, which is almost all the defense's doing by putting the offense in a position to score easily. even when being blatantly held, the dl was still fighting through. djimon brooks had a good tfl like that. Love Thacker when he's pumped, very Brent Venables-esque.

-reffing was abysmal. targeting rule needs to be reviewed in the offseason, waaaay too much grey area as it stands. Quez's hit was closer to targeting than Riq's hit last week, though I don't think either was worth the call. The non targeting call on UNC against mcgowan was crap though, a defenseless player and he clearly launched himself at him. unc got away with a lot of crap all night on both sides of the ball. dontae smith may have been given the crappiest call by a collegiate official all season, zero chance that wouldn't have been a touchdown.

-We were explosive on offense in this game moreso than we've been in any other games this season, and I think that's a product of Sims being out there. Yates was playing fairly well, but he's much more methodical working the team down the field. Yates reminds me a bit of Tevin mixed with JT - not the most naturally gifted player, but excellent decision making, and a gamer.

-offenseive play calling at the beginning of the game seemed meh, improved when sims went in. blocking was definitely worse early on for yates and improved over the course of the game. 2 back set was great, want to see more of that. we ran well and passed well. mcgowan plowed over a defender at one point like "i'm better than you and I'm going to make sure you know it". great play by Carter for the td. I like the tempo changes, we caught unc unprepared several times.

- we got lucky a few times with unc screwing up unassisted (missed fg, dropped TD pass), but even if they hadn't screwed those up we would have still won.

-problems getting the defense set on UNCs first td, same problem we've had in the past. this was the only time it waa obvious this game

-a couple times howell faked out our guys pretending to throw the ball and they turned away instead of sacking him, gotta keep our eyes open and focused. makius did it once and so did ivey.

-in the first half, there was a play where gibbs was tripped up in the backfield by an untouched defender. upon review, the whole play went left, except 77 (cochran?) who pulled and went right like he was going to lead block or something. the guy who was lined up on him is who made the play, so what the heck was he supposed to be doing? seemed like he was confused on what the play call was.

-we still arent good at punt returns. way too many unc players flying untouched towards the returner and hardly any Tech players in the area.

-unc seemed to run the ball fairly well, but didn't do it enough. I think they got scared from the few times we stopped them with 1 to go. would have done better to run more and stop leaving howell to get sacked. he and downs will play on Sundays.

- our secondary started to get soft the last 6 minutes or so of the 3rd quarter. lot's of confusion, juanyeh obviously frustrated several times

- clock mgmt issues were significantly less this week. I have no issue with Sims calling that TO in the 4th, whether the play worked or not.

- i assume white is still out, and saw someone say clayton was sidelined as well. Where is Kevin Harris at? It looks like he has 2 tackles so far this season. Not what I would have expected given the preseason hype that he was ruining drills because he was so dominant against the o line.

Harris actually had a good game IMO. He was bull rushing, the first to push the pocket several times driving Howell to the other side where others got the sack. I was impressed several times with how far he pushed his blocker back.

slugboy

Staff member

If you mean the QB signaling in the plays, it was Trad Beatty.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I’m response to Yeti-the call when Dontae was going down kept him from getting drilled by a guy. The UNC player let up when he heard the whistle.

And “play calling was meh when Yates was in”-sometimes if you have a playmaker(Sims) in there to execute, it makes the playcalling look a lot better…

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Harris actually had a good game IMO. He was bull rushing, the first to push the pocket several times driving Howell to the other side where others got the sack. I was impressed several times with how far he pushed his blocker back.
I'll have to look for him more then, I thought he may be getting double teamed or something so we just weren't hearing his name called.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
If you mean the QB signaling in the plays, it was Trad Beatty.
No this was a guy in a polo, definitely not a college student. Not sure if he was a staff member or part of the crew or something. I noticed him in the 4th quarter, was just curious.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

Good summary. I thought exactly the same thing on the bolded observation - hoping that coach Key noticed it as well.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I’m response to Yeti-the call when Dontae was going down kept him from getting drilled by a guy. The UNC player let up when he heard the whistle.

And “play calling was meh when Yates was in”-sometimes if you have a playmaker(Sims) in there to execute, it makes the playcalling look a lot better…
In the red zone I am puzzled about the multiple fad routes (when Yates is in last two games) to the corner of the end zone to a short receiver. None successful.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Well for one, the seats aren't red.
Yea I wonder if there’s a way next year to get covers on the lower level seats as well.

Or maybe one of our brilliant students can figure out a way to make it where they at least look gold on tv.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
In the red zone I am puzzled about the multiple fad routes (when Yates is in last two games) to the corner of the end zone to a short receiver. None successful.
I was talking to my brother about the same thing during the game.

Asking why Norris and not Carter. I feel like Carter is the only guy we have active that’s a threat on that fade route right now.

We did throw up to him later, but it was from much further out too.