UNC

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm so fatigued by this. Can anyone confirm/deny that their men's basketball program is involved in this and will be facing sanctions?

Every time I've read anything on it, they seem to be skating around the bball program and sacrificing football, olympic sports and women's bball. I guess they expect us to believe aaaall the athletes except bball players benefited here.

Am I wrong?

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
I'm so fatigued by this. Can anyone confirm/deny that their men's basketball program is involved in this and will be facing sanctions?

Every time I've read anything on it, they seem to be skating around the bball program and sacrificing football, olympic sports and women's bball. I guess they expect us to believe aaaall the athletes except bball players benefited here.

Am I wrong?

All I'm hearing is that Roy's name was only mention once in all this stuff.

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
All I'm hearing is that Roy's name was only mention once in all this stuff.

That's what I'm hearing as well. IOW, the situation is being set up to scar all their programs except men's bball which is quite convenient for the NCAA. Color me skeptical I guess.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I'm shocked, just shocked by all of this. NOT!!! Watch them lose like 3 recruiting days and "time served".

Should be 5-10% scholarships lost for 3 - 5 years for each program they have that had any " participants in any of the shenanigans. That might put some fear into other programs.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
That's what I'm hearing as well. IOW, the situation is being set up to scar all their programs except men's bball which is quite convenient for the NCAA. Color me skeptical I guess.

I tend to agree with ya. Football may pay the bills for most school's but UNC basketball brings in their share than most programs.

I've talked with some of their fans to hear some of them say that Syracuse did worst.:cry::bigtears: Maybe, but they didn't do this kinda stuff for eighteen years.. :whistle: They think they're the exception to the rule because of basketball. Sad thing, they're not alone in this thinking:wacky:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Looks like punishment for the UNC baseball team coming? Here's the full document if anyone wants to read it. To me it's irrelevant, the NCAA ranks up there with FIFA in corruption. They will do and say what ever they have to do to maximize the money coming in and protecting the cash cows.

http://3qh929iorux3fdpl532k03kg.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/NCAA-NOA.pdf

Also the article on baseball:
http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com...CollegeBaseballDaily+(College+Baseball+Daily)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I tend to agree with ya. Football may pay the bills for most school's but UNC basketball brings in their share than most programs.

I've talked with some of their fans to hear some of them say that Syracuse did worst.:cry::bigtears: Maybe, but they didn't do this kinda stuff for eighteen years.. :whistle: They think they're the exception to the rule because of basketball. Sad thing, they're not alone in this thinking:wacky:

We all have to remember that the NCAA's (not just UNC's) cash cow is the NCAA tournament so they'll go out of their way to protect the blue bloods.

If that program gets off unscathed (and it appears that's now this is being positioned) it's just more fuel to the 'NCAA is a joke' fire.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
NCAA finds lack of institutional control at UNC

North Carolina releases its Notice of Allegations from NCAA: …http://3qh929iorux3fdpl532k03kg.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/NCAA-NOA.pdf …
The saddest thing about this is not the damage done to the basketball or football programs -- big time programs can get the death penalty and be up and running a week after it ends -- or even to the reputation of such an esteemed coach as Dean Smith, but alumni who always had such pride and regard for their education and the diplomas they left with. In my experience with them they were at least as prideful as GT grads of theirs. They still love the university, but not enough to speak pridefully of their having graduated, and those that I know or meet almost never volunteer their degree, instead referring to graduate degrees obtained elsewhere. And while we revel in UNC's discomfort, make no mistake this is bad for the ACC and its academic reputation. For heaven's sake, Louisville now is officially a cleaner program than UNC. How it will recover I don't know, but it can make a start by deep sixing the basketball coach and let him be on his way to the hall of fame with a stop at another school. Butch Davis, though he lost his job at UNC, hardly paused on his way to more money. Meanwhile one of our local sports columnists who two years ago said "we" -- I guess all of us -- should "just move on," that nothing more would come out, today wrote that geez, he is not at all surprised at the NCAA report. He joins the Boston Herald Staff in its mewling in defense of Tom Brady -- sue, Tom, sue -- as guys who need to stop showering with the home team.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Another thing to consider is, per UNC's AD, the NCAA will supposedly not use the new, tougher penalty guidelines here. They'll be using the old guidelines. I'm sure there are legit 'reasons' for not using the new penalties. Just still looks iffy to my biased eye.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Obviously I have my biases... so rather that state how I really feel I'll just ask... how is this comparison even remotely possible? Can someone here please provide me the case for Syracuse's violations being worse than UNC?

This is the first time I've heard the idea suggested and my brain is not yet capable of understanding how this is possible. If the argument is cooperation with the investigation I may lose it.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Obviously I have my biases... so rather that state how I really feel I'll just ask... how is this comparison even remotely possible? Can someone here please provide me the case for Syracuse's violations being worse than UNC?

This is the first time I've heard the idea suggested and my brain is not yet capable of understanding how this is possible. If the argument is cooperation with the investigation I may lose it.
There is no argument so you are safe. It was and is indefensible. Besides which, what the hell should UNC care about what Syracuse did or didn't do?

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer

I'm on your side believe it or not. UNCheat fan's are a bunch of cry babies that should worry about their own school instead of others.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Of course, they didn't have a player sell $41 of used shoes to a cousin. All they did was expose themselves and the NCAA as a hypocritical sham of academic excellence.
Keep in mind this is a punishment, more or less -- academics say it is serious -- of probation from the accrediting agency, not the NCAA. It won't look good to prospective students, who kind of want to make sure that degree they earn is going to be academically recognized. I can say with some assurance there are teachers and staff members who work really hard to get through the accrediting process regularly, and it can be nerve wracking, and they are some kind of peeved at the university and the respective athletic programs. The NCAA still has to mete out what it considers punishment, and that may be a year as UNC has not responded to the five allegations. Athletics being what they are, this is considered on that side as the more damning. Apparently being on probation academically means little to them.