UNC vs. GT - 12pm Kickoff - ESPN2

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
We are also terrible for the tv networks. Our games don't have as many commercial breaks because we aren't running hunh spreads that have 1:30 drives. They lose commercial revenue on us so of course the networks won't want us in prime time

Actually never thought of this, but it does make a little bit of sense. I don't know though...seems like they could make up for this by just having TV timeouts after every possession. Same amount of commericals, less game

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Actually never thought of this, but it does make a little bit of sense. I don't know though...seems like they could make up for this by just having TV timeouts after every possession. Same amount of commericals, less game
I'm sure they probably extend our breaks but I believe the overall run time for one of our games is noticeably less than the average college game these days. I can't find it right now but I believe the average broadcast length has increased somewhat dramatically over the last 10 years or so with games taking nearly 4 hours on average. I don't think we still come that close to 4 hours

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I understand why some of you don't like noon starts, and they are certainly lower profile. But, for the record, our head coach loves them. He has said he'd play the games at 8 a.m. if they'd let him. Cooler, more time to recover afterwards.

Personally, I like them, too. I don't have to wait around all day. Let's play ball!

Financial cash flow is so critical to this program and we or sorely lacking here. All these early starts is definitely hurting attendance and season ticket purchases. I don't really care if coach likes them or not, they are bad for business and honestly that is one of the aspects of the game so he should also not like noon games because it hurts him directly by not being able to get the extra personal the teams needs because we dont have the cash for it..

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Administrations love the easy explanation that TV determines it, its out of their control. Its a response that easily answers the question and ends the Fan debate...and its partially or largely true.

But its partially not true. What is true, is GT can preference request slots, and for minor opponents like FCS or little 5 conf, often dictate that. The school can also demonstrate a must have kickoff for extenuating circumstances, like the circus is in town and we absolutely need to kick off at 6pm or noon or whatever.

What is also true, and I know this to be fact at one point (assume still today), is because Paul likes noon games we often request noon games. And the numbers show it. Under paul 60% or so of the games have been around the noon timeslot. And last year 8 were.

Now, it could be TV is pushing 60% of the games to noon across the board...and this is just helpful irony. But we do request it.