UNC prepares for Delaware with Georgia Tech looming

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
“(The coaches) make an emphasis on not overlooking the next opponent we have, so we’re very dialed in to Delaware,” said junior cornerback Des Lawrence. “But what they do stress to us is that (Georgia Tech’s) offense is so explosive that you can’t really prepare for it in three days like you can for a regular team.”

To prepare adequately for Georgia Tech, the team has set aside time on every Sunday since the start of training camp to prepare for the Yellow Jackets. The team spends a short 10- to 12-minute session working on techniques needed specifically for that game.

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article...epares-for-delaware-with-georgia-tech-looming

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Every team spends some extra time prepping for GT's spread option, or so they claim.

It will be interesting if teams like Dook and UNCheat will now try to do what ND did by throwing a bunch of formations at our offense. The accompanying questions are:
1) if they do - will their defense be able to cover and execute like ND did regardless of formation?
2) if they do - how will CPJ & JT respond this time around?

Discuss.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Every team spends some extra time prepping for GT's spread option, or so they claim.

It will be interesting if teams like Dook and UNCheat will now try to do what ND did by throwing a bunch of formations at our offense. The accompanying questions are:
1) if they do - will their defense be able to cover and execute like ND did regardless of formation?

Discuss.
Problem for those teams is they don't have a LB like Jaylen Smith that can defend basically the entire field, DL to stone our OL and keep them from getting to the second level, and CBs to smother our WRs 1v1 on the outside. Also, they don't have an extra "consultant" to spend the entire offseason researching schemes to stop our offense. Oh yeah, they're also getting a GT team that was humbled and knows that they can get beat if they don't do what they are supposed to. I don't expect us to get beat like that again.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
First thought is to echo what you said. Every team spends extra time. My questions are as follows:

1.) Are teams actually spending more time now than they did a few years ago?
2.) When "adequate" preparation is made does Tech lose more times than not if the athletes on the other side are better?
3.) We know there is a difference in this offense as the season progresses and players get better at execution. Is there any objective way to measure how a well prepared defense does against an offense in early season form versus mid season form versus late season form, assuming athletes are the same?

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck

Discuss.
Duke nor UNCC have players with the talent level of ND's Jalon Smith or Joe Schmidt who were all over the field...

Dustman

Helluva Engineer

Discuss.
I think Duke did a lot of moving around last year that seemed to confuse us. I tried to flush that one so I could be wrong.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
ND also has to play Navy of course so it is logical they spent a lot of time prepping for the offense.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Discuss.

A lot of teams have tried to defend us by moving around, blitzing, shooting gaps, playing safeties closer to the LOS, man outside/single safety high...all things ND did to us. As others have said, not all teams have the players ND does. Seriously, the sheer size, speed, and athleticism of their back 7 was incredible. When you have first year players at AB trying to block those guys...yeah, not a pretty sight. We would have been fine last year with the guys we had.

I'd LOVE to see Duke try doing what ND did. They don't have the horses.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I choose to look at things this way: Half ND's defense will be in the NFL (this is a sure thing), they did extra to prepare, we played the worst game (execution-wise) since 1985 (according to coach) and we still put up 22 points with two missed FGs and a TD called back that resulted in 0 points that trip to the RZ.

I expect Duke will have a good plan and I expect they will play well. I also expect us to play well. We'll just have to see.

4NatlChmps

Jolly Good Fellow
UNC probably can spend 4 complete days on GT since they don't have to go to class....
Only 4 days? Try 4 fng years - there is no class for athletes in Chp Hell. Those bastards had over 3100 athletes in the no-class major. Can't wait for "SMU Redux"

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Only 4 days? Try 4 fng years - there is no class for athletes in Chp Hell. Those bastards had over 3100 athletes in the no-class major. Can't wait for "SMU Redux"

I have always been a Tech fan and I was fortunate enough to make it out. I am the kind of person that pushes the envelope on things from time to time, that is just my nature. I would still be a Tech fan even if we got caught cheating, but if you are going to cheat you should have more to show for it than UNC. The thing we learned from that whole debacle is that they are even bad at cheating. If you decide to cheat, at least be good at it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I have always been a Tech fan and I was fortunate enough to make it out. I am the kind of person that pushes the envelope on things from time to time, that is just my nature. I would still be a Tech fan even if we got caught cheating, but if you are going to cheat you should have more to show for it than UNC. The thing we learned from that whole debacle is that they are even bad at cheating. If you decide to cheat, at least be good at it.

According to the NCAA, we did cheat in 2009...but at least we got an ACC Championship! That's how "cheating" is done right, folks!

(That was sarcasm for the sarcasm impaired)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
A lot of teams have tried to defend us by moving around, blitzing, shooting gaps, playing safeties closer to the LOS, man outside/single safety high...all things ND did to us. As others have said, not all teams have the players ND does. Seriously, the sheer size, speed, and athleticism of their back 7 was incredible. When you have first year players at AB trying to block those guys...yeah, not a pretty sight. We would have been fine last year with the guys we had.

I'd LOVE to see Duke try doing what ND did. They don't have the horses.
I'd wait till after the game Saturday to downplay their "horses". I hope you're right. CPJ said they don't have the "star power of ND, but they play team defense very well."

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'd wait till after the game Saturday to downplay their "horses". I hope you're right. CPJ said they don't have the "star power of ND, but they play team defense very well."

I get what you're saying...but Duke does not have the athletes to pull off the defensive schemes ND was doing against us. Heck, I think we have better athletes on D than Duke does, and we wouldn't be able to do what ND did.

I would love to see Duke try it, because I think the plays we barely missed against ND due great individual effort + talent would be big gains against Duke. Plus, the only teams that would benefit from ND's "blue print" if they had the horses are teams further down the schedule. Keep in mind, ND has been repping those schemes all offseason and for a portion of practice every week. You're not going to install those schemes in 3 days even if you did have the horses to run them.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I get what you're saying...but Duke does not have the athletes to pull off the defensive schemes ND was doing against us. Heck, I think we have better athletes on D than Duke does, and we wouldn't be able to do what ND did.

I would love to see Duke try it, because I think the plays we barely missed against ND due great individual effort + talent would be big gains against Duke. Plus, the only teams that would benefit from ND's "blue print" if they had the horses are teams further down the schedule. Keep in mind, ND has been repping those schemes all offseason and for a portion of practice every week. You're not going to install those schemes in 3 days even if you did have the horses to run them.

And ND has a scout team specifically built to replicate us and navy