UNC Postgame

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
\
Stream of consciousness with little real insight. Feel free to scroll down to other posts.

A game with a different and strange feel to it. Once again, we were not efficient on offense in spite of over 400 yards rushing. It's funny, but in spite of that at no time did I think we were in danger of losing this game.

Marshall is an outstanding leader as well as being the most "elusive" quarterback we have ever had. He's like that running back Virginia had a few years ago "Smoke" Mizzell (spelling?) His vision at running between defenders and slipping in and out of traffic is extraordinary. When Matthew scored his touchdown, one of the first to congratulate him was TM with a big smile on his face.

This is a team with good vibes to it. The players like each other and seem to pull together. A testament to senior leadership.

A lot of the improvement on defense is probably due to experience. They seem to recognize plays very quickly compared to seasons past. The safety play is outstanding. Both AJ and Corey broke for balls before they were thrown. They KNEW where the ball was going. Gray covered about a third of the field on his first interception.

Pass rush was good to see. Sharrat was never completely comfortable in the pocket

Speaking of UNC they definitely do NOT have a quarterback controversy. That got put to rest today on one play. Sharrat (spelling?) reminds me of Vlad. Similar build and running ability with a nice throwing motion. He has a bright future. UNC reminds me of our 2015 season. Sometimes you are just snake bit.

Teams that like to throw over the middle best beware. Gray and Griffin are experienced and deadly ball hawks.

For the first time, I feel like we have something cooking here. We really need Lee and Marshall (Andrew) to come back strong from injury.

A backs played well I thought but we missed some blocks on the edge.

Jerry and Q ran hard in relief of Kirvonte.

It's funny, this team does not have quite the star power of 2014 or 2008 or 2009 but it MAY prove to be better. The offensive line might be just that much better.

Special teams still needs work and I can understand Paul's frustration. I am sure that he thinks we could be much more efficient on offense and more accomplished on special teams as well.

I do not know if we can beat Miami but if we can through a game without fumbling and execute on special teams we have a chance.

This is not going to be popular in some quarters but I believe we should be running the triple option (and all of its variations like speed option, counter trap etc) more and probably passing a little less. That said, Ricky Jeune is playing the best football of his career.

We will ultimately go as far as the line, Benson, and Marshall take us.
This season can go south in a hurry with Miami, Clemson, Va. and VT looming, and I am not sure where Wake Forest will fit. Then of course there is this other team down the road. Marshall today looked like somebody who has not played much varsity QB but can play some, and maybe that is why the offense was so yo-yoish. I can understand, though, why Johnson has locked up his playbook and is keeping vanilla the flavor of the month. Marshall is a tough runner and quick, but in my opinion so far just kind of an average ball handler who struggles with some things. I think QB in this offense requires far better athletes than any other offense, but maybe I am rationalizing. I don't think we'll see a lot of the other stuff until the season, and Marshall's experience, moves along the track some.

I do gotta love your reference to wanting to pass less. Johnson might want to print it out for his scrapbook as the only such entry.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
This season can go south in a hurry with Miami, Clemson, Va. and VT looming, and I am not sure where Wake Forest will fit. Then of course there is this other team down the road. Marshall today looked like somebody who has not played much varsity QB but can play some, and maybe that is why the offense was so yo-yoish. I can understand, though, why Johnson has locked up his playbook and is keeping vanilla the flavor of the month. Marshall is a tough runner and quick, but in my opinion so far just kind of an average ball handler who struggles with some things. I think QB in this offense requires far better athletes than any other offense, but maybe I am rationalizing. I don't think we'll see a lot of the other stuff until the season, and Marshall's experience, moves along the track some.

I do gotta love your reference to wanting to pass less. Johnson might want to print it out for his scrapbook as the only such entry.

Well, he hasn't played a lot of varsity QB and it shows in little things. The mesh is not as smooth as it could be and he misses reads on the edge sometimes. That said, Marshall is unlike any other quarterback in the Johnson era. Not the passer like Vlad, Not the "smoove" ball handler of JT 5, not the cool decision maker of Tevin, and certainly not the power runner of Nesbitt. He is just different and requires a different kind of play calling. He is most dangerous on the edge when a team is bound and determined to take away the pitch. Back in the day, we would characterize a player with his skills as "swivel hipped" and "quick silver". Trying to corral Marshall is like trying to nail jelly on a wall.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Well, he hasn't played a lot of varsity QB and it shows in little things. The mesh is not as smooth as it could be and he misses reads on the edge sometimes. That said, Marshall is unlike any other quarterback in the Johnson era. Not the passer like Vlad, Not the "smoove" ball handler of JT 5, not the cool decision maker of Tevin, and certainly not the power runner of Nesbitt. He is just different and requires a different kind of play calling. He is most dangerous on the edge when a team is bound and determined to take away the pitch. Back in the day, we would characterize a player with his skills as "swivel hipped" and "quick silver". Trying to corral Marshall is like trying to nail jelly on a wall.
I do want to clarify my reference to this offense and good athletic QBs. I certainly didn't intend to suggest Marshall is not a really good one, because he is. I guess i was backing into the requirements of the job in a QB world that is chuck-and-duck or stand seven yards back and read an end all day before deciding what to do. Marshall has two years to be the best Johnson has had because of his athleticism, but a Johnson QB's life is just very complicated: about the time they figure something out Johnson adds more wrinkles.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Great win. We will not beat Miami unless we eliminate the mistakes and play with better effort on offense. They are much faster than we are and we have to play with more energy and effort to compete with them. We can do it but we can not do it without a lot more fire in the belly.

Go Jackets!

I agree with much of this.

We MUST get better passing out of TM to compete with Miami, VPI&SU, Clemson, and Georgia. That's four games we will lose unless we play better on offense than we did today.

Impressed with the D, but as many have said, we'll get a much sterner test the starting in 2 weeks.

Overall, feel like we could be anywhere from 5-6 (Wake is dangerous) to 10-1, but I am less encouraged than I was a week ago. We are still just making too many mistakes. Those mistakes have cost us one game already against an inferior team , and the schedule the rest of the way has some teams with more talent than us on paper.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Good win. We still have things to improve on, but I am very happy to be sitting at 2-0 in the ACC with wins over the two teams that give us a fit in tie-breakers each year!

Remember, Miami was going to have a bye week against us, now it’s flipped! If FSU can take them the distance, that’s a tough 5 day turn around with us getting a full weeks rest.

Eliminate the fumbles and continue to force the issue in D, we can beat the “u”.

Now PLEASE redshirt Jay Jones so we can have him in 2022 :)

Go Jackets!

Too late. Jones has already used his RS and already played this year..

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40003530-4

Georgia Tech (3-1 overall) is off to a 2-0 start in ACC play after back-to-back wins against Pitt and North Carolina, but the real test is next - and the Yellow Jackets have a bye week to prepare for their Oct. 14 trip to No. 14 Miami. The Canes looked like Coastal contenders on Friday in their win over Duke. Consider this: Georgia Tech as a CFP darkhorse. Look at the rest of its schedule, which includes road trips to Miami and Clemson ... plus a home game against Virginia Tech, and the regular-season finale against SEC East favorite UGA? Whew. That's a resume that would be hard for the selection committee to ignore. Unfortunately for the Jackets, ESPN's FPI only favors them in two of their remaining games (vs. Wake Forest and Virginia).

i
Heather Dinich, ESPN Senior Writer