UNC Postgame

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Marshall continues to surprise. The third and long conversion and the 3rd quarter runs were amazing. Marshall varies his speed to fit through cracks.
Benson broke 3 tackles on the TD run. Protect that football with your life, young man.
Two uncharacteristic drops by B Rad and Sticky Ricky. Glad to see then both get involved later on.
I'm beginning to believe in the D. Unc isn't a great team offensively but they were averaging 400+ per game.
Great to get the UNC monkey off our back, and still perfect in the conference before a huge road game at Mijami
I am humiliated by how hard I laughed at "sticky Ricky"

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I was happy to hear CPJ say we have work to do in his walk off interview. Obviously we got a big win, against an ACC opponent who has been giving us trouble for a while but gosh durn it we should have had at least 14 more points. We can’t give away 2 TDs in every game we play, so with back to back games with boneheaded fumbles I’m glad he is showing displeasure.

The team (and coach) always say play the game, watch the tape, take your notes and flush the rest. No doubt we will need to do the same during this next two week stretch. Thankful for the bye to get ready and healthy for da “u”.

We have some real work to do on ball security as well as better reads on the options. TQM did MUCH better this week than last game on his reads but has more to clean up still.

I don’t want to be too down though. We did what we were supposed to / needed to and came away 2-0 in conference play. Also GREAT effort from the D today. Griffin needs to start pulling in some of those potential interceptions but being in the right place for the breakups has helped to this point. AJ Gray is a real baller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Two solid games in a row on D and even with the ups and downs on O 30 plus points in thos same 2 games. Just keep progressing and this will be a very special season!

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Great win. We will not beat Miami unless we eliminate the mistakes and play with better effort on offense. They are much faster than we are and we have to play with more energy and effort to compete with them. We can do it but we can not do it without a lot more fire in the belly.

Go Jackets!

Offense looked ok. Benson fumble was him trying to reach out. Cover up son and drive or go down and run 2nd down. Marshal needs to cover up while running inside as well.
Defense looked great but again not exactly a challenging offense but in comparison to UNC game with Duke, we look much better.

Need to heal up and I think Miami is ours.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Second straight great game by the D and Uncle Teddy. On O its hard to complain, but we still are leaving points on the field. The Benson fumble was an effort play, he won't do it again and Taquan missed on one throw that would have been a TD. That said Taquan is a baller on short yardage and bailed us out on sheer athletic ability several times. This was an ugly 33-7 win, but the season starts in two weeks. And I thought the white out unis were great.

Jmonty71

Banned
To be seen. Is our D that good or was UNC so depleted, they would of lost to most people. After seeing 2 games where we held opponents to under 250 yards. I see promise. The fact we have already matched the number of 3 and outs we forced, last year. I see promise. The fact, Roof is playing more aggressive. I see promise. I think Thug U will be a hard game. Most games, here on out will be tough. We cannot fumble and continue to win. If we would of not fumbled against UT, we would be undefeated and ranked pretty high. I would say 15 or so.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Excellent D today. Very pleasantly surprised so far this season.

The wide receivers are some doing some very good blocking down field.

If and when the starters on the o-line are healthy we will be Kick-*** all game. Good effort by the offense all around.

---

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Everything on offense looked hesitant, off balanced, just a weird look from the O. It happens.

Ricky Jeune may be the best blocking WR we've ever had. He deserves major props just for that. But he's also developed into a bigtime receiving threat. The route on the post corner was great, followed by an even better grab.
Not sure about Jeune, but yes to your first thought. It was just herky jerky and a whole bunch of 360 spins before Marshall took off running and sometimes pitched it; too many pitches were kind of high and away, too many handoiffs right into the chest of a D lineman and poor Benson was four inches shorter by 3 p.m. And in the 10th year we still can't throw a deep ball accurately for some reason. Just very unsettling even with the second half blowout. The D on the other hand I felt badly for when they lost their shutout. I thought they had earned that. We will either beat Miami or get blown out I think. That's how this team is playing.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Unc dl and our ol were in a slugging match. By end of 2nd q unc had to really start substituting. Our guys were short handed and dragging but gutted it out. Ditto 3rd quarter .

Glad they get some rest.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
Good win. We still have things to improve on, but I am very happy to be sitting at 2-0 in the ACC with wins over the two teams that give us a fit in tie-breakers each year!

Remember, Miami was going to have a bye week against us, now it’s flipped! If FSU can take them the distance, that’s a tough 5 day turn around with us getting a full weeks rest.

Eliminate the fumbles and continue to force the issue in D, we can beat the “u”.

Now PLEASE redshirt Jay Jones so we can have him in 2022 :)

Go Jackets!

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Good win. We still have things to improve on, but I am very happy to be sitting at 2-0 in the ACC with wins over the two teams that give us a fit in tie-breakers each year!

Remember, Miami was going to have a bye week against us, now it’s flipped! If FSU can take them the distance, that’s a tough 5 day turn around with us getting a full weeks rest.

Eliminate the fumbles and continue to force the issue in D, we can beat the “u”.

Go Jackets!
if FSU comes out next week like they have this week Miami is going to basically have a bye week too. FSU will get trashed

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!

Jay has already had a Red Shirt year

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
TM saved our bacon getting vital first downs. Really impressed with his ability and effort at key moments. Hope he continue to improve on his reads. As for the defense, I kept waiting for them to let UNC back in the game. They were great. I want to believe we have a great defense but years of experience has me in as much denial as an SEC sportswriter.

To think we could have won with under 20 points goes against years of conditioning. Regardless I am looking forward to working in Raleigh this week and am grateful to the team for the Tarhole stomping.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Game ball: Ted Roof
\
Stream of consciousness with little real insight. Feel free to scroll down to other posts.

A game with a different and strange feel to it. Once again, we were not efficient on offense in spite of over 400 yards rushing. It's funny, but in spite of that at no time did I think we were in danger of losing this game.

Marshall is an outstanding leader as well as being the most "elusive" quarterback we have ever had. He's like that running back Virginia had a few years ago "Smoke" Mizzell (spelling?) His vision at running between defenders and slipping in and out of traffic is extraordinary. When Matthew scored his touchdown, one of the first to congratulate him was TM with a big smile on his face.

This is a team with good vibes to it. The players like each other and seem to pull together. A testament to senior leadership.

A lot of the improvement on defense is probably due to experience. They seem to recognize plays very quickly compared to seasons past. The safety play is outstanding. Both AJ and Corey broke for balls before they were thrown. They KNEW where the ball was going. Gray covered about a third of the field on his first interception.

Pass rush was good to see. Sharrat was never completely comfortable in the pocket

Speaking of UNC they definitely do NOT have a quarterback controversy. That got put to rest today on one play. Sharrat (spelling?) reminds me of Vlad. Similar build and running ability with a nice throwing motion. He has a bright future. UNC reminds me of our 2015 season. Sometimes you are just snake bit.

Teams that like to throw over the middle best beware. Gray and Griffin are experienced and deadly ball hawks.

For the first time, I feel like we have something cooking here. We really need Lee and Marshall (Andrew) to come back strong from injury.

A backs played well I thought but we missed some blocks on the edge.

Jerry and Q ran hard in relief of Kirvonte.

It's funny, this team does not have quite the star power of 2014 or 2008 or 2009 but it MAY prove to be better. The offensive line might be just that much better.

Special teams still needs work and I can understand Paul's frustration. I am sure that he thinks we could be much more efficient on offense and more accomplished on special teams as well.

I do not know if we can beat Miami but if we can through a game without fumbling and execute on special teams we have a chance.

This is not going to be popular in some quarters but I believe we should be running the triple option (and all of its variations like speed option, counter trap etc) more and probably passing a little less. That said, Ricky Jeune is playing the best football of his career.

We will ultimately go as far as the line, Benson, and Marshall take us.