UNC Postgame

We aren't getting another dc. The ad won't allow it. Cpj has two years left. He may be gone after this year. He had a great run here at tech, but despite the great years he'll forever be known as a coach who couldn't find the right dc. What a shame.

A former player and booster mentioned during the past homecoming game that the new ad want a new guy in...
IF CPJ goes after this year, then Roof will go too, because a new HC will hire his own staff, and the AD won't prevent that. I don't, however, believe that CPJ will go. I am hoping Roof does, and I doubt very serious that the AD will say anything at all about it, even though he IS a friend of Roof. A good AD wants what's best, and it doesn't take much to see that Roof isn't the best, or even good.

If you look at the O stats, you'd think this was a really good performance. A combo of turnovers - two is enough to loose any game - and untimely penalties put the entire effort at risk. Still, we had to play perfectly to win and we didn't.

As for the D … well, what can you say? We had a hard time - again - with the short passing game and didn't do as well against the run as we have. For the first time, I think Coach Roof's job is in jeopardy. It was a string of games like this that got Groh fired. Oth, Roof is probably too valuable as a recruiter to let go during the school year. We simply have to perform better on D soon, however. That'll be hard; our DL problems are making everything more difficult.

There were some highlights. Jordan looked exactly like I thought he would at QB. I hope JT isn't too badly hurt, but I was encouraged, especially for next year. Mills showed exactly the kind of sustained effort that I've expected to see. I wouldn't be surprised to see him finish the next three games with 100 yards each. Perry played quite well in relief of Burden, but I hope Freddie is able to come back next week. We need him. One question persists: why no Cottrell? I was expecting him to be in the rotation at AB today and he wasn't. Wish I knew why.
Didn't really need Cottrell at AB, but good to see him on the KO return team.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
IF CPJ goes after this year, then Roof will go too, because a new HC will hire his own staff, and the AD won't prevent that. I don't, however, believe that CPJ will go. I am hoping Roof does, and I doubt very serious that the AD will say anything at all about it, even though he IS a friend of Roof. A good AD wants what's best, and it doesn't take much to see that Roof isn't the best, or even good.

Sorry I meant he doesn't think cpj is the right fit. If he's thinking cpj may be leaving, Hes not going to take a hit firing and hiring a new dc and staff that will get blown away anyway next year.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I agree, terrible all around. I'd like to see one of our stats guys, possibly AE, give us the numbers that UNC has put up this year vs their other opponents. I know they're a good offense, but damn, that was serious.

Before today, they averaged 2,37 ppd vs pwr5 competition. Today, they scored 5.33 ppd. By comparison, LOLvl scored 4ppd vs FSU in that blowout.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Sorry I meant he doesn't think cpj is the right fit. If he's thinking cpj may be leaving, Hes not going to take a hit firing and hiring a new dc and staff that will get blown away anyway next year.

I think we would be stupid to get rid of CPJ. I think GT needs to pony up the $$ to compete in this league.

Right now GT has pound cake dreams and a moon pie budget.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
To anyone saying CPJ isn't good is simply wrong. Facts don't lie and our HC has done a great job and our Offensive Coordinator is one of the best in the game. If we had a top 50 defense we would be in the acc hunt every year

I guess having a good defense isn't part of the head coach's responsibility. C'mon man, let's be realistic...he's got to take ownership of the defense.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
To anyone saying CPJ isn't good is simply wrong. Facts don't lie and our HC has done a great job and our Offensive Coordinator is one of the best in the game. If we had a top 50 defense we would be in the acc hunt every year

As people who have read my posts for the last several years know, I am a huge CPJ fan. The data on his offense, adjustments, and play calling are clear. We should not cut off our nose to spite our face. Finding a DC has to be easier than a whole staff.

That being said, he's made no changes on D staff since hiring Roof. Our D is his. His O with a semi decent D would be great, but it's harder to defend him with no changes on D.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I guess having a good defense isn't part of the head coach's responsibility. C'mon man, let's be realistic...he's got to take ownership of the defense.

I agree he has to take responsibility for it. This is his biggest flaw as HC in my opinion. But the problem with our team is on the DC first and if they don't can him by year end CPJ should be terminated.

Jmonty71

Banned
I imagine, we'll look just as clueless on defense for the VT game. I have 0 faith in Roof's ability to prepare the team.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
IMO, it's an all of the above problem, but the jimmiejoes at LB look outmatched. On two of the long TD runs, MLB went unblocked and ran right out of the play. We need to scheme to compensate for this, like on offense, or we will get smoked by poorly coached teams with faster, bigger players (UGA).

"Simplifying" and playing straight up with obvious tendencies forces one-on-ones that we lose (see 3rd down %).