UNC @ GT

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Well, a bit of a lost weekend. It's a good thing we rallied in the first game, otherwise it would have been a disaster.

There was one very bright spot though. I thought Cole Pitts pitched MUCH better. Only 1 walk and 1 HBP today. Not sure why they pulled him. Is he still on a limited pitch count? It was an encouraging outing by Pitts. Otherwise, this weekend simply showed me how much better UNC recruits pitchers than GT does.

We came back to reality. Our outlook in the post season is not great, and our margin for error is razor thin. We'll do OK in the regular season because some opponents will make mistakes giving us wins. But against reaaly good teams, our pitching is simply over matched.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
It was always going to be tough to sweep the DH today. We did well to win the first game. I thought Gold was unlucky to concede 5 runs.. he pitched well. The bats got hot towards the end of the first inning, which was greatly needed.

It was a great day out for me and the missus enjoyed it as well. I actually caught Smitty's walk off on video and the subsequent team celebration, but it's too big to upload it here... We stayed for about about half of game two before we had to head out for another thing we had planned in the evening.. But, great day overall.. Go Jackets! Onwards and upwards..

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
I like posted last week, we have a though schedule left for this Month. We play Auburn this Tuesday (ESPN3) at home then travel to Louisville, who lead the Alantic Division. To finish the month of March, we go to Athens to play the leg humpers in our first of three games. This should really tell us more about this team.

Any thought's from you guys?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I like posted last week, we have a though schedule left for this Month. We play Auburn this Tuesday (ESPN3) at home then travel to Louisville, who lead the Alantic Division. To finish the month of March, we go to Athens to play the leg humpers in our first of three games. This should really tell us more about this team.

Any thought's from you guys?

We are dangerous for any team we play. But our pitching, fielding and hitting have to all be working since we don't have the superstar pitchers who will end up the season with a <=2 ERA. Friday night and the second game, out fielding was poor and we weren't making plays we usually do earlier in the season.

It'll be an interesting season. After Louisville, I'll see if I change my prediction of 7-10 spot for the ACC tourney.

UNC is a really good team and has had some rough luck. Their pitcher who just came back this weekend (Moss) is really good. No wonder he was drafted last year ......http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=benton-moss . With him as one of weekend pitchers, they should end up in the top 6 of the ACC I'd guess.

GTMom

Ramblin' Wreck
We are dangerous for any team we play. But our pitching, fielding and hitting have to all be working since we don't have the superstar pitchers who will end up the season with a <=2 ERA. Friday night and the second game, out fielding was poor and we weren't making plays we usually do earlier in the season..

Maybe Derrick Moore needs to give them a pep talk like he did for football! After that they were a force to be reckoned with! ... "Time to set the Yellow Jackets loose!!" [emoji106]

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
We are dangerous for any team we play. But our pitching, fielding and hitting have to all be working since we don't have the superstar pitchers who will end up the season with a <=2 ERA. Friday night and the second game, out fielding was poor and we weren't making plays we usually do earlier in the season.

It'll be an interesting season. After Louisville, I'll see if I change my prediction of 7-10 spot for the ACC tourney.

UNC is a really good team and has had some rough luck. Their pitcher who just came back this weekend (Moss) is really good. No wonder he was drafted last year ......http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=benton-moss . With him as one of weekend pitchers, they should end up in the top 6 of the ACC I'd guess.

GTNavyNuke summed it up well. After my initial over the top enthusiasm, I am coming back down to earth (while he was always sticking with his 7-10 projection. Louisville is the ACC leader at 8-1 having just swept Notre Dame in South Bend. That should be a huge challenge for us next weekend. Duke fought tooth and nails to win 2 of 3 at home for Pitt this weekend, and Clemson went extra innings on 2 of the 3 games versus VPI&SU. Point being, this is a GOOD baseball conference with NO gimmes. We simply do NOT have the firebrand arms that UNC, UVa, and Louisville all have. We are really in the huge bunch of second tier teams, which amounts to everyone else beyond the Top 4 teams (add FSU to the three I mentioned a minute ago). We could finish anywhere form #5 to #10 overall. I think we are better than BC, N C State and Wake Forest and I think we are also better than Va Tech and Pitt (but only by slim margins). o, I'll pick us anywhere from 5-9, with my leaning being the lower end of that grouping because we are just so think in pitching.

I do think our defense will be fine, and our hitting is OK-to-good.

So, right now it looks to me like we will make the ACC Tournament and the NCAA Tournament, but not be highly ranked or rated for either post-season event.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me. We signed a ton of pitchers, and now have 19 pitchers on the team. Yet, we have not seen any appearances by the following freshmen:
Ryan Young
Cory Pope
Cody Worthy
Daniel Gooden
or from junior Kyle Leach. We only just saw Trevor Craport for the first time Saturday and he did quit nicely, thank you very much (frankly, much better than Datoc and Shelton, who have been wild and very inconsistent, and who are the only two frosh to get multiple appearances so far). What's up with these other guys? Are they really so bad they are not even worth a look in live action?

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
GTNavyNuke summed it up well. After my initial over the top enthusiasm, I am coming back down to earth (while he was always sticking with his 7-10 projection. Louisville is the ACC leader at 8-1 having just swept Notre Dame in South Bend. That should be a huge challenge for us next weekend. Duke fought tooth and nails to win 2 of 3 at home for Pitt this weekend, and Clemson went extra innings on 2 of the 3 games versus VPI&SU. Point being, this is a GOOD baseball conference with NO gimmes. We simply do NOT have the firebrand arms that UNC, UVa, and Louisville all have. We are really in the huge bunch of second tier teams, which amounts to everyone else beyond the Top 4 teams (add FSU to the three I mentioned a minute ago). We could finish anywhere form #5 to #10 overall. I think we are better than BC, N C State and Wake Forest and I think we are also better than Va Tech and Pitt (but only by slim margins). o, I'll pick us anywhere from 5-9, with my leaning being the lower end of that grouping because we are just so think in pitching.

I do think our defense will be fine, and our hitting is OK-to-good.

So, right now it looks to me like we will make the ACC Tournament and the NCAA Tournament, but not be highly ranked or rated for either post-season event.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me. We signed a ton of pitchers, and now have 19 pitchers on the team. Yet, we have not seen any appearances by the following freshmen:
Ryan Young
Cory Pope
Cody Worthy
Daniel Gooden
or from junior Kyle Leach. We only just saw Trevor Craport for the first time Saturday and he did quit nicely, thank you very much (frankly, much better than Datoc and Shelton, who have been wild and very inconsistent, and who are the only two frosh to get multiple appearances so far). What's up with these other guys? Are they really so bad they are not even worth a look in live action?
Gooden DH'ed one time last weekend

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ryan Young
Cory Pope
Cody Worthy
Daniel Gooden

Good point. We know this:
1) the pitching coaches see these guys everyday and know their capabilities off the field
2) everyone on the staff wants to put the best players in and win
3) our staff does a great job in developing talent; we had four pitchers drafted last year and non were of the Moss level talent but rather developed talent (why did you leave Heddinger?)

We can assume is that these guys aren't ready either mentally or physically. I think the staff does put players in ASAP as we don't red shirt for talent (and God knows we don't have the depth pitching).

So I agree with your implicit point that what we are seeing is the best we have right now.

But before I slit my wrists thinking about Datoc walking his first two on 8 pitches and give up; we are very young and have developed pitching talent to be serviceable / draftable in the past.

At least when we play Auburn this week we won't see their ace. Kids with that type talent can take almost any team look great. Get three of them and you are CWS material. We don't have any.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Good point. We know this:
1) the pitching coaches see these guys everyday and know their capabilities off the field
I agree, that's why we are seeing what we're seeing.
2) everyone on the staff wants to put the best players in and win
Especially in our weekend series. The weekday's are a great way to develop some of our Colts for the weekend and tournament play.
3) our staff does a great job in developing talent; we had four pitchers drafted last year and non were of the Moss level talent but rather developed talent (why did you leave Heddinger?)
I think they do the best they can with the limited time they have to work with them along with the Summer league. In the Minor's on up, they have a lot more time to spend one-on-one time. It's not that easy to reload when you had four pitchers drafted. Especially, when you were counting on some to stay.
We can assume is that these guys aren't ready either mentally or physically. I think the staff does put players in ASAP as we don't red shirt for talent (and God knows we don't have the depth pitching).
Our staff can be quick to make changes if one of our guys are not on their game (it happens to the best). Sometimes you may have to bite the bullet at one point and play them to see how they handle things.
So I agree with your implicit point that what we are seeing is the best we have right now.
You may end up having one that starts to come into he's own halfway into the season. Agree, this is what we have right now.
At least when we play Auburn this week we won't see their ace. Kids with that type talent can take almost any team look great. Get three of them and you are CWS material. We don't have any.
You can do that when the season starts but doing now would have me scratching head. You are so correct about the rest.

You guys know a lot more than I do (bunting, fielding, pitching..etc.). Take my opinion for what it's worth.