UNC @ GT

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's am article about UNC's injuries. The pernicious thing about injuries are they give you an excuse not to do well. http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2015/03/north-carolina-baseball-team-drops-duke

UNC has enough depth to win the series. Their entire team pitching throws a lot of strikes .... 185 SOs to 77 walks as a team. ANd their team batting average at .290 and OBP at .365 is pretty good. http://www.thebaseballcube.com/teams/stats.asp?Y=2015&T=20006

But we aren't bad either. Better OBP, just don't throw as many strikes. 139 SO to 71 walks. http://www.thebaseballcube.com/teams/stats.asp?Y=2015&T=20124

Should be a good series.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Two keys to this series, imho......
(1) can we scratch out a Friday night win. King has developed pretty well as pitcher. He doesn't have the flame throwing arm that some guys do, but he seems smart on the mound. He hides his stuff well. If he can hit his spots, vary his speeds, and have a good outing, we can perhaps take the first game (always so important) in what should be a low scoring tight affair.
(2) Can Pitts make improvement with his control? His "stuff" seems good base don the Opposing Batting Average, but his wildness has (obviously) been killing him. I guess we must remember he is still coming back from Tommy John surgery, and "they say" that control is the last thing you get back after that. If he can make some real progress that would be encouraging.

Given Gold's recent performances, I fully expect Sunday's game to wind up being a 12-10 slugfest (just kidding'). But, as you say, it's baseball, and anything can happen in baseball.

FYI Sunday forecast is for rain, so there may be a chance for 2 on Saturday instead.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Was looking back through the schedules and was surprised to see we haven't dropped a series to UNC since '09. 11-4 over that span (regular season). Hopefully we can keep that magic alive this weekend.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Two keys to this series, imho......
(1) can we scratch out a Friday night win. King has developed pretty well as pitcher. He doesn't have the flame throwing arm that some guys do, but he seems smart on the mound. He hides his stuff well. If he can hit his spots, vary his speeds, and have a good outing, we can perhaps take the first game (always so important) in what should be a low scoring tight affair.
(2) Can Pitts make improvement with his control? His "stuff" seems good base don the Opposing Batting Average, but his wildness has (obviously) been killing him. I guess we must remember he is still coming back from Tommy John surgery, and "they say" that control is the last thing you get back after that. If he can make some real progress that would be encouraging.

Given Gold's recent performances, I fully expect Sunday's game to wind up being a 12-10 slugfest (just kidding'). But, as you say, it's baseball, and anything can happen in baseball.

FYI Sunday forecast is for rain, so there may be a chance for 2 on Saturday instead.

I'm planning to go the Saturday game, so I hope it's a DH. We don't have a good record of sweeping DHs in the recent past, though..

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Pitt hammered their Friday starter (Gallen) last week. 8 ER over 3.2 innings. It would be great to get to him early again. Especially so we can start using up their relievers before a potential doubleheader Saturday.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Oh well, our pitching is deep but not stellar. I don't think a double header will particularly help or hurt us. If either Game 1 starter gets pulled early and has to be relieved multiple times, it'll hurt that team. As likely to be us as UNC though .......

Let's just win tonight and let tomorrow take care of itself!

Wow, I didn't know this: "No. 21 Georgia Tech (15-5, 4-2) is playing the best defense in the ACC, boasting a .977 fielding percentage, having committed only 17 errors through its first 20 games." I know I'm critical but with as poorly as we have fielded some games, this surprises me. Guess the glass is mostly full ...... http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/032015aae.html

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Ok let's see what happens. UNC is in a bit of a funk but wouldn't shock me to lose this series. Need a good start from King tonight.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
King does not look good so far. He's not fooling anyone out there. Keeps missing up and UNC are really squaring up his pitches.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not much for GT in the first 3. Down by 3 and we only had one base runner in 3 innings.

As much as I like Roddy Jones on ESPN3, I had to switch over to WREK and King had his first 1-2-3 inning .........