@UNC Baseball

How many games will GT win versus UNC? (Assume 3 played)

Votes: 1 2.6%

Votes: 18 47.4%

Votes: 16 42.1%

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Actually this is about what I was hoping we would be after our first 2 conference series, though I got caught up in the way we played against NC State. I see hope in our pitching to continue its progression and we becoming a tough out for any team later in the season.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm quite sure Batt is very well aware of our baseball program's condition. I'm sure football, then basketball is what has delayed baseball. Unfortunately, those two come first with football way ahead of basketball in terms of priorities. Baseball is way behind basketball. Our AD and President plus their families are at games regularly so I'm sure they care, they seem committed to every program we have unlike the previous regime. I have no way of knowing, but I'm confident something will be done.

🙏

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
For some reason, I’m not as distraught as I have been in years past about this kind of performance. I’m not sure if I’ve just conditioned myself against any sort of positive expectations or if somewhere deep inside I feel like this team is different than ones in the past. I do have a little hope based on the young pitchers and the way they approach the game, and who can’t be excited about Burress and Kerce. As long as they don’t seek the portal, we have a lot to feel good about there.
We’ve got two winnable series coming up, so I’ll try and keep a positive outlook on it, tempered by previous soul crushing disappointments.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm quite sure Batt is very well aware of our baseball program's condition. I'm sure football, then basketball is what has delayed baseball. Unfortunately, those two come first with football way ahead of basketball in terms of priorities. Baseball is way behind basketball. Our AD and President plus their families are at games regularly so I'm sure they care, they seem committed to every program we have unlike the previous regime. I have no way of knowing, but I'm confident something will be done.
Gt33:

I agree as I see J Batt and his family often at games. I've spoken to him in the new GT clubhouse.

I've observed him standing above overlooking the crowd moreso than just watching the game and it's result so I tend to agree.

You can't help but notice fan apathy at MacNease/Rusty C (whatever you want to name it-Always the Rusty C to me).

I think this sweep isn't a huge deal but its just another year of potential not being reached. Its been a long time since we were relevant on the big stage.

2019 was there for the taking and unfortunately none of the pitching injuries were coach hall's fault as we lost Brant Hurter and Xavion Curry and still almost pulled off the regional with Connor Thomas. It's still Hall's fault NOT to go to Tristen English to close out the 1st Awbarn game......Ok ..breathe alex :)

KSU will be a tough game but I actually thinks this team beats them on Tuesday and takes the series against BC but will that matter....We shall see

When is the last time tech finished the regular season above .500 in the last ten years....I believe it is just once in 2019 with an amazing team btw.

Also, how does the best offense at Tech in almost 20 years not even win a regional...No Omaha for K. Parada.

I hope J Batt sees the apathy and the lack of post season success and how it impacts the program financially.

Uga and Fsu both had solid coaches that had mediocre seasons and they moved on. Both programs are in better position and likely to make the tournament this year with Wes Johnson and Link Jarrett.

Clemson as well.

I like coach hall and all that he has done for tech. My son went to his camp. He's super cool with the kids. Parents love him. Ultimately though, if you didn't perform on your job for 18 years (lets be honest- postseason success is how we judge, no?), would you still be working there....

Yes we have a great looking future if the freshmen stay but guys like Tate, Drew and Carson will be well compensated and sought after in the portal if they don't feel like they win big here as those guys could help lead a team to omaha.

Last edited:

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
After a very good first 15 years, CDH has been very mediocre the past 15 years. However, considering how things have gone for GT over the past 15 years, we might should celebrate mediocre.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, CDH has full support of Mark Teixeira and the program is well funded, so there is no reason to make a change other than the fact that the program us a shadow of what it used to be. Don't expect Batt to save us. He will CDH retire on his own terms.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
It’s one of those situations where we are almost always very competitive and right on the cusp. We cannot get over the hump though. So it can certainly be much worse, but it could also be better. That decision will carry a lot of risk.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, CDH has full support of Mark Teixeira and the program is well funded, so there is no reason to make a change other than the fact that the program us a shadow of what it used to be. Don't expect Batt to save us. He will CDH retire on his own terms.
That could be as well. Wish I had the money to influence this, but Teixeira got drafted ahead of me and I never got a chance.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
As good as we have been in recruiting position players and acquiring portal position players we have absolutely failed to recruit and develop pitchers anywhere near the level of the position players. Point the finger at whoever you want but that is the problem with the program. I do not believe that this team is as talented as of the 19-23 teams were. Some nice pieces but look at the amount of pro jackets from 19-23. With that being said, let’s go win the week and it’s a winnable week.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Actually this is about what I was hoping we would be after our first 2 conference series, though I got caught up in the way we played against NC State. I see hope in our pitching to continue its progression and we becoming a tough out for any team later in the season.
Looking at the bright side, you get to come home now without feeling guilty!

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
It was a frustrating weekend but I think Tech played well on Friday and Saturday and just lost to a better team on the road with a young team that hasn't played together long.

Sunday just looked like they wanted to get home though. That's what was really frustrating is how the series ended.

I saw a lot of positives from the weekend. Lots of areas for improvement.

In the end, it's just one series but because of our rpi and the weakness of our schedule, we have little room for margin so we'll likely need to win a tough acc road series imo to get above .500 in the acc and i felt this series was there for us.

I'll be heading to Kennesaw for the matchup on Tuesday while also being at the Friday and Saturday games as my son has game 2 in his 14u season on Thursday.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
GA Tech has had exactly 2 pitchers drafted in the first 5 rounds since 2014, for 10 years running now: Sam Clay (4) in 2014 and Connor Thomas (5) in 2019. Tristan English was drafted in 2019 as well, but as a 1B. We either aren't getting the talent at the position that we need to compete at the top of the conference, or we aren't developing it, but something is wrong.

ETA Source: https://www.baseball-almanac.com/draft/baseball-draft.php?yr=2014

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One of these years, we'll be relevant again. D1 Ouch List. Made the news the wrong way. I think they mean we hadn't played a true road series all year, not game. Regardless.
1711552195501.png

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
GA Tech has had exactly 2 pitchers drafted in the first 5 rounds since 2014, for 10 years running now: Sam Clay (4) in 2014 and Connor Thomas (5) in 2019. Tristan English was drafted in 2019 as well, but as a 1B. We either aren't getting the talent at the position that we need to compete at the top of the conference, or we aren't developing it, but something is wrong.

ETA Source: https://www.baseball-almanac.com/draft/baseball-draft.php?yr=2014
Would like to mention a pitcher named Jonathan Hughes, out of Flowery Branch High School in Gainesville, Georgia.

Hughes was drafted in the second round by the Baltimore Orioles in 2015, but he turned down the Orioles’ offer and elected to go to Georgia Tech instead.

If my memory is not mistaken, I believe Hughes injured his arm during his first season as a true freshman with the Jackets in 2016. He underwent arm surgery then (Tommy John? I can’t quite remember exactly what it was), rehabbed, and started pitching again as a redshirt freshman in 2017.

He pitched for GT for 3 additional years and then, after his redshirt senior season, he was signed by the Philadelphia Phillies as an undrafted free agent in 2020.

The Atlanta Braves got him in a trade with the Phillies last year (2023). In a recent spring training game vs the Minnesota Twins just a few days ago (which I watched on TV), Hughes pitched one inning in relief and struck out two while giving up one hit, no walks, and no runs. He looked good!

The Braves have now assigned Hughes as a relief pitcher to its High-A farm club,
the Rome Emperors (formerly the Rome Braves) to start the new 2024 season.

I’m pulling for this guy! The Atlanta Braves apparently see something in him. Former Georgia Tech pitcher Jonathan Hughes has demonstrated an outstanding attitude and an intense determination to succeed ever since his arm injury in 2016.

If he continues to pitch well, we all might be able to watch him perform in a MLB Braves uniform at Truist Park later this season.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Would like to mention a pitcher named Jonathan Hughes, out of Flowery Branch High School in Gainesville, Georgia.

Hughes was drafted in the second round by the Baltimore Orioles in 2015, but he turned down the Orioles’ offer and elected to go to Georgia Tech instead.

If my memory is not mistaken, I believe Hughes injured his arm during his first season as a true freshman with the Jackets in 2016. He underwent arm surgery then (Tommy John? I can’t quite remember exactly what it was), rehabbed, and started pitching again as a redshirt freshman in 2017.

He pitched for GT for 3 additional years and then, after his redshirt senior season, he was signed by the Philadelphia Phillies as an undrafted free agent in 2020.

The Atlanta Braves got him in a trade with the Phillies last year (2023). In a recent spring training game vs the Minnesota Twins just a few days ago (which I watched on TV), Hughes pitched one inning in relief and struck out two while giving up one hit, no walks, and no runs. He looked good!

The Braves have now assigned Hughes as a relief pitcher to its High-A farm club,
the Rome Emperors (formerly the Rome Braves) to start the new 2024 season.

I’m pulling for this guy! The Atlanta Braves apparently see something in him. Former Georgia Tech pitcher Jonathan Hughes has demonstrated an outstanding attitude and an intense determination to succeed ever since his arm injury in 2016.

If he continues to pitch well, we all might be able to watch him perform in a MLB Braves uniform at Truist Park later this season.
There have been a couple of UFAs and lower draft choices, IIRC.