@UNC Baseball

How many games will GT win versus UNC? (Assume 3 played)

Votes: 1 2.6%

Votes: 18 47.4%

Votes: 16 42.1%

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yes the game is in Chapel Hill. Games 6PM, 2PM, & 1PM but weather may move Friday game earlier or to Saturday.

UNC has a good team as usual, ranked #20. Swept Pitt in 3 close games and lost series last weekend @Miami. For all games, compared to us, they have a better ERA (.411 v .468) and slightly worse BA (.319 v .321). Our OBP is better (.458 v .435) as is slugging (.590 v .502). So on paper and since they have played better teams, it's close with advantage going to home team.

In the spirit of not being manic-depressive, I took us winning 1. Hopefully we take the series and knock them out of top 20!

1710938849048.png

1710938924250.png

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
So I'm leaning more optimistic Charlie Brown after our last 4 games as we lose a couple of those in past years. If the starting pitcher matchups stay the same for both teams,
(F) Patel vs. Boaz. Boaz got rocked by Mia for 8 runs in 3.2 last outing. We have a chance in this one.
(Sa) Finateri vs. DeCaro. DeCaro shut down Mia for 1 run in 6.1. 2 good starts in a row in the ACC. This one will be tough.
(Su) McGuire vs. Sprague. Sprague hit by Mia for 4 runs in 3.1. We have a chance in this one.
It's going to be interesting. Since this is baseball, we probably go 1-2 and win the 2nd game. Go Jackets!

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I voted one last week and was delightfully wrong. Going to continue that trend.

On the defensive side, we just have to find a way to limit the big innings.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
They have a pretty high RPI (#7), and a #20 SOS.

It feels pretty meaningless, honestly. Their opponent's record is padded by playing ECU, where they lost the series, and a midweek game against Campbell.

In ACC play, they beat a pretty bad Pitt team, and lost the series to Miami.

You could have said the same about us a week ago, but they haven't done anything noteworthy.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I too am following voting the same as last week (one) as well as wearing the same socks and eating the same meals! GO JACKETS

I am looking forward to this weekend to reveal a bit more of who this team really will be this year. So far, I don’t recognize them to fit a “typical” GT baseball mold and having a hard time getting a fix on them.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I’m going with 1. It is at Chapel Hole, the Tar Holes are pretty good, and we’re due to hit the underperformance trap. I’m hoping for 2-3, but expecting 1.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Weather is going to mess with the weekend plan. How much? Hard to say. The odds of playing 1 each (Fri/Sat/Sun) seem pretty long. A DH either Sat or Sun seems like only chance to get all 3 in.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I went 3 last week, partly because of hope but also skepticism about ncst. We’re on the road so I spotted unc a win. Feel bad about it because we should win 3, just think we’ll eventually have an off day here or there.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I went 1 last week because I didn't think our pitching was yet up to ACC speed. This week I went with 2 since I feel much better about our pitching and this team seems to play up to our competition, with UGA being an outlier due to conditions.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I went 1 last week because I didn't think our pitching was yet up to ACC speed. This week I went with 2 since I feel much better about our pitching and this team seems to play up to our competition, with UGA being an outlier due to conditions.

The Friday night uGa game was lousy conditions. Saturday and Sunday weren't. Looking back with gold colored glasses, we only lost each game by 2 runs. One was 1-3 in a pitchers duel. The other was 9-11. Most people who aren't ardent fans would never notice the lead we blew. But others blow leads against us. It's baseball. So we didn't get run ruled like others :cool:

One point I didn't make in the intro that I should have made. UNC is 16-0 at home. No objective observer could predict we'll win two or more with the stats to date. But then I look at the D1 picks and some have us:

1711062193592.png

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The Friday night uGa game was lousy conditions. Saturday and Sunday weren't. Looking back with gold colored glasses, we only lost each game by 2 runs. One was 1-3 in a pitchers duel. The other was 9-11. Most people who aren't ardent fans would never notice the lead we blew. But others blow leads against us. It's baseball. So we didn't get run ruled like others :cool:

One point I didn't make in the intro that I should have made. UNC is 16-0 at home. No objective observer could predict we'll win two or more with the stats to date. But then I look at the D1 picks and some have us:

View attachment 15925
When I looked at our opening ACC slate AND after the UGA/NE debacle (or anomaly? 😎)... I felt like we HAD to come out of NCST & UNC 3-3 if we had any hope of making postseason. Now that is the worst case scenario.

....but Let's focus on best case. 👌

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Objectively... acknowledging those of us who want to take in the game... 1130am is pretty inconvenient & perhaps cuts some out.

....but a Fri night ACC game on the road?

a nooner is better than Friday Night Lights.
1130 will effectively eliminate the home field advantage. This series is winnable, and Friday's first pitch time is to out advantage, not theirs.