@UNC Baseball

How many games will GT win versus UNC? (Assume 3 played)

Votes: 1 2.6%

Votes: 18 47.4%

Votes: 16 42.1%

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

THWG

Helluva Engineer
One of the downsides of a good, clean series... is you see how you measure up. (No fluky stuff to 'explain' away outcomes) So far... it looks like the better team is beating the lessor team. Two good teams... that's the good news. But one appears to be better.

I expect Ga Tech to win tomorrow.
It looks like home field advantage is very important this year. NC State took the first 2 from Duke at home, Clemson beat FSU at home in the first 2 games, Georgia took the first 2 from Alabama after getting swept on the road last week.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree, to an extent, that home field does matter but certainly not as much as it does in college football & basketball though. The crowd at Uncheat wasn't all that impressive imo.

I'm not the sky is falling kind of guy but losing two straight winnable games is very frustrating especially holding a lead in the 6th yesterday along with having the bases loaded in the 9th twice on Friday.

If our inability to produce runs with runners in scoring position continues, it could potentially cost us a tournament bid. Of our games lost this year (6), four of them were very winnable including both uga and uncheat games. In the uga series, we went 0-12 with risp and finally broke through with a hit with runners on in the 3rd inning of the Sunday game.

Pitching was average at best yesterday. I actually believe that Tate had the best stuff but really was very unlucky as uncheat just got bloop hit after bloop hit.

Two pitchers just seem like those recruits that just doesn't seem to live up to the recruiting hype.

If the expectation is to have a winning % of .600, we are meeting those and probably will exceed those expectations; however, i think this team needs to win at a .650 clip with some big road series wins to get a bid imo. I think the uncheat series is the least intimidating series of the following road series; UVA, FSU, & Clemson.

Getting swept isn't the end of the world but it almost puts you in position where you have to win and possibly sweep BC and win the series on the road at Pitt.

Pitt is a series i believe we MUST win.

I won't call today a must win but it's pretty big imo to get one and not get swept. I would also point out that Kennesaw State is up next on Tuesday and mark my words, that will not be an easy game. KSU is very talented and they whipped Clemson on the road 18-1 so we could be facing a potential 4 game losing streak.

I knew this team would have ups and downs this year but a win today could go a LONG way in producing a bid imo.

Why does coach have a love for having Mike in the cleanup spot. I love his defense and he's a solid hitter but not a cleanup hitter. Put Green, Ellis, or Cam in that spot. Too valuable spot in the lineup with risp to not produce.

Ball is in your hands Logan.

Go get em boys.

Win one today and you're 4-2 in the conference with a 17-6 overall record and in a good position. We have BC coming in and I believe we should take that series.

Go Jackets!

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One of the downsides of a good, clean series... is you see how you measure up. (No fluky stuff to 'explain' away outcomes) So far... it looks like the better team is beating the lessor team. Two good teams... that's the good news. But one appears to be better.

I expect hope Ga Tech to will win tomorrow.

FIFY I expect we'll play hard and not quit today. We are the underdogs going into a single game @UNC.

We pitched pretty well overall, 64% strikes. But they hit them @.364. We were confused and unable to respond to a couple of the UNC pitchers (Percival and Poston were amazing) ending with a .206 BA. The ump yesterday had a big strike zone that he applied to both teams for the part I watched. So yesterday, clearly the better team won.

If our goal is .500 in conference play, we need to go 2-1 at home and 1-2 on the road, at a minimum. Our sweep last week put us ahead of the 8 ball, and salvaging the series tomorrow keeps us there.

You can't win them all, but I hope to see good baseball even in the losses.

I thought we played well, just not as good as UNC. One thing that hurt was UNC stealing 3 times and not getting caught. Catch those guys and UNC has an inning less in the game.

I still think we have to end up above 500 in ACC play (including the ACCT) to have a chance to get a bid at all. And being that low of seed, we'll get a tough regional. It's going to be tough for this team as I think @FSU, Duke, @Clemson, @UVA and VT are as good or better than UNC.

But making the regionals is next month's problem. We really need to win today to maintain a positive narrative and to be 2 games above 500 in the ACC vice @500. That is a massive difference.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
FIFY I expect we'll play hard and not quit today. We are the underdogs going into a single game @UNC.

We pitched pretty well overall, 64% strikes. But they hit them @.364. We were confused and unable to respond to a couple of the UNC pitchers (Percival and Poston were amazing) ending with a .206 BA. The ump yesterday had a big strike zone that he applied to both teams for the part I watched. So yesterday, clearly the better team won.

I thought we played well, just not as good as UNC. One thing that hurt was UNC stealing 3 times and not getting caught. Catch those guys and UNC has an inning less in the game.

I still think we have to end up above 500 in ACC play (including the ACCT) to have a chance to get a bid at all. And being that low of seed, we'll get a tough regional. It's going to be tough for this team as I think @FSU, Duke, @Clemson, @UVA and VT are as good or better than UNC.

But making the regionals is next month's problem. We really need to win today to maintain a positive narrative and to be 2 games above 500 in the ACC vice @500. That is a massive difference.
I agree - i thought the team has played well. We're a couple of timely hits away from a very different game.

Leaving the bases loaded is tough. It's been, what, three straight games now? At some point one will break our way.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Today's thing that is sticking in my craw....

what is CDH's process of deciding to challenge calls? Both yesterday seemed to pretty clearly correct calls on the field. It's like wishful thinking is the method.
That's bothering me also but on the other hand what 2 other plays would he have asked to be reviewed instead? He's got 'em he might as well use 'em.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I noticed the challenge issue we've had as well when I was at the games opening week. I thought that there were some head scratchers where it seemed like we were only challenging to challenge, with little hope for a reversal.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Pitching….pitching….pitching. We simply still lack quality pitching and lose because of it.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok now what.

At some point, does our AD even see what's going on with the baseball program.

He made immediate changes with basketball and football. So far, the football decision is a good one. Basketball is up in the air but clearly better under Damon then Josh.

I'm not certain a change will help but when the last time you head to omaha is 06', does our administration really concern themselves with baseball as a non revenue sport.

Uga and Fsu both make changes and its paying off for both now in baseball.

How are Duke, Wake and Uva (all academic schools) better than us in baseball...

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Disgusting display of baseball today. Actually all weekend. Very disappointed. How many more years must we endure this fan torture.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, we are on the depressive side of manic-depressive this Sunday afternoon.

We played a lot of good ball but had a lot of breakdowns today and were beat by a better team.

We wouldn't be anywhere near the NCAAT if season (37% done) stopped today.

Flush. Win the next game.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Under CDH, the season end for GT’s baseball team has gone from the College World Series championship game, to the College World Series, to the super regional, to the regional, to the ACC championship to probably the regular season this year. Only 12 teams make the ACC tournament now.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Play Kennesaw State up in Kennesaw on Tuesday. Then Boston College comes down to play our team this weekend.

Someone else can introduce the games since, as empirically demonstrated, my karma sucks. ;) I had to try after uGa when I took the job from @FredJacket.

Years ago, this type of loss would have bothered me more but I've been conditioned by Hall's programs. Looking forward to the cycling season.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
At some point, does our AD even see what's going on with the baseball program.

He made immediate changes with basketball and football.
I'm quite sure Batt is very well aware of our baseball program's condition. I'm sure football, then basketball is what has delayed baseball. Unfortunately, those two come first with football way ahead of basketball in terms of priorities. Baseball is way behind basketball. Our AD and President plus their families are at games regularly so I'm sure they care, they seem committed to every program we have unlike the previous regime. I have no way of knowing, but I'm confident something will be done.