UNC 2024 Post Game

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I did. Alabama had the number 11 recruiting class in 2006 and number 18 class in 2005. Wasn't the talent that they had with Saban, but still a roster that shouldn't be going 7-6 and losing to Louisiana Monroe.
True about ULM, but a roster is made up of more than 2 recruiting classes. The seniors on that team were from 2003, a 49th ranked recruiting clasa (1 spot ahead of Tech).

Ive said it already and I am still right. The 2008 ACC media polls had Tech finishing 4th in the Coastal which equates to about 6-7 wins and a bowl birth. Not the 2 or 3 games you claim.
Good thing we already have a info on this site about this, courtesy of @CuseJacket - https://gtswarm.com/threads/2008-preseason-predictions-for-georgia-tech.17043/

Hmm, definitely no 7 win predictions in there and only 1 6 win, and multiple other people and quotes supporting my numbers.

Or maybe, just maybe, the play caller has faith to lean on the offensive line that has been paving the way for the ACC's leading rushing attack. It's better to go with a strength even if everyone knows that's what you're gonna do, then something you're not great at that everyone knows you're gonna do. Hmm a novel concept!
lol qb sneak with Pyron is not a strength when you need to pick up 6 yards. Has that happened even once this season outside of maybe VMI? It certainly had not happened all game against unc.

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
True about ULM, but a roster is made up of more than 2 recruiting classes. The seniors on that team were from 2003, a 49th ranked recruiting clasa (1 spot ahead of Tech).

Good thing we already have a info on this site about this, courtesy of @CuseJacket - https://gtswarm.com/threads/2008-preseason-predictions-for-georgia-tech.17043/

Hmm, definitely no 7 win predictions in there and only 1 6 win, and multiple other people and quotes supporting my numbers.

lol qb sneak with Pyron is not a strength when you need to pick up 6 yards. Has that happened even once this season outside of maybe VMI? It certainly had not happened all game against unc.
Lol. One recruiting class ranked below 25 on that team. How about 2004 - 15th, 2005 - 11th, 2006 - 18th. Most of the players came from top 25 recruiting classes. Seniors don't make up the majority of the team.

You have a Bleacher Report article with 1 persons prediction and a few commenters on this board. The media poll (65 voters) said the team would finish 4th which equaled a bowl birth at that time (ACC had 8 bowl tie ins). I'm going to take those opinions over a Bleacher Report writer and a few commenters on a forum. And good thing we have past Vegas odds that have Tech at 6 wins. Hmmm. https://www.sportsoddshistory.com/cfb-win/?y=2008&sa=cfb&t=win&o=t

Do you know the difference between an option and QB sneak? The 3rd and 6 was an option play. You remember the option right?

Last edited:

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
UNC’s defense isn’t much worse than it was under previous coordinators, and they were big name senior coordinators.

But, they’re not better either.

Brown has hired young innovative coaches and older experienced hands. All have had the same dismal results.

Still, TFG was hired to fix things, and there’s no sign he’s done it. Seven games into the season is too late for an old hand to figure out that they have problems. He’s senior enough to tell Brown what needs to change. He either doesn’t know, or he’s incapable of explaining it convincingly

GT has made a lot of measured improvement, unc, not so much. With the caveat being there are five more to play regular season, and rankings will likely change.

2024 Team Stats - thru 7 games, per theacc.com website - looking only at the defense stats

Out of 17 teams,
Defense Scoring -
GT #6 at 21.4 ppg, and unc #14 at 30.4 ppg

Defense yards per game -
GT #4 at 327.4 ypg, and unc #15 at 399.9 ypg

Compare to 2023 (full year, 14 teams)
GT Scoring Defense #13 at 29.5 ppg, and unc #10 at 27.3 ppg

Defense yards per game
GT #14 (last) at 437.1 ypg, and unc #12 at 404.4 ypg

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
You have a Bleacher Report article with 1 persons prediction and a few commenters on this board. The media poll (65 voters) said the team would finish 4th which equaled a bowl birth at that time (ACC had 8 bowl tie ins). I'm going to take those opinions over a Bleacher Report writer and a few commenters on a forum. And good thing we have past Vegas odds that have Tech at 6 wins. Hmmm. https://www.sportsoddshistory.com/cfb-win/?y=2008&sa=cfb&t=win&o=t
Trying to equate a conference standing to a specific record is not valid. It's a shame that so many websites are no longer easily available to search like scout, athlon, etc and the ajc has paywalled or dead linked a bunch of articles. I did find a forum post from 2008 where Athlon predicted 3 wins, 7 losses, and 2 toss-ups. Another 2008 forum post where rivals predicted us to finish 73rd. An article from Mark Schlabach at ESPN with preseason bowl predictions - we weren't predicted to make a bowl. A quote from a Stewart Mandel preview:
Mark it down: Johnson will eventually win big at Tech like he has at every previous stop -- but this transition year could be ugly. While some of the pieces are there to run Johnson's "flexbone spread," they're young and short on numbers. Meanwhile, the defense -- a mainstay under former coordinator Jon Tenuta -- is likely to take a step back. It would be surprising if the Jackets reach .500 and they could suffer a couple of embarrassing losses along the way.

There were a couple sources I did find also predicting 6ish wins, but most were predicting us to do poorly in 2008 because of the offensive transition and lack of returning players/starters.

Do you know the difference between an option and QB sneak? The 3rd and 6 was an option play. You remember the option right?
Ok you got me, sneak is the wrong choice of word. Outside of Jamal's final run which came after we let Pyron pass, how effective were we running the ball while Pyron was at QB against UNC? How many 6+ yard gains did we have, hmm?

TampaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of Birr, he is the second kicker in recent memory who has gone from absolute money one year to something much less than that the following. After hitting the game winner against FSU I thought we would be solid again this season in terms of field goals.
The thing is...every miss has been from the right hash and greater than 40 yards. Maybe we need to game plan a little better to avoid that location!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The thing is...every miss has been from the right hash and greater than 40 yards. Maybe we need to game plan a little better to avoid that location!
That is one possibility but it treats the symptom rather than the disease. Seems like he made those last year. Fix the root cause. If your wedge game in golf goes bad, you don't play to avoid having wedges on your second or 3rd shot (or 4th or 5th in my case sometimes :) )....you fix whatever is causing you to hit poor wedge shots.

TampaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
That is one possibility but it treats the symptom rather than the disease. Seems like he made those last year. Fix the root cause. If your wedge game in golf goes bad, you don't play to avoid having wedges on your second or 3rd shot (or 4th or 5th in my case sometimes :) )....you fix whatever is causing you to hit poor wedge shots.
Maybe. If your wedge game stinks at a particular distance (50 - 60 yards?), but is decent at 100 yards; don't you try to work it so that the wedge shot is from 100? You gotta play to your strengths. Everyone has a favorite club/distance where the confidence level is really high. I always thought it was smart golf to get myself into position to use my favorite iron for the approach shot as often as possible. If our kicker has low confidence on right hash outside of 40 yards, but high confidence from left hash or center at the same distance, why call plays to put him on the right hash if you don't have to?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Maybe. If your wedge game stinks at a particular distance (50 - 60 yards?), but is decent at 100 yards; don't you try to work it so that the wedge shot is from 100? You gotta play to your strengths. Everyone has a favorite club/distance where the confidence level is really high. I always thought it was smart golf to get myself into position to use my favorite iron for the approach shot as often as possible. If our kicker has low confidence on right hash outside of 40 yards, but high confidence from left hash or center at the same distance, why call plays to put him on the right hash if you don't have to?
I agree. Fix your bad shots during a practice round or at the range, but when it matters you should set yourself up for success.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
November 29, 2024, 10:54 pm:
Snap from 26, Ball spotted at the 33, right hash, 43 yard walk off game winner.
Book it. He’s due.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I would hope he is practicing from the right hash at multiple distances. He just needs to get his confidence back and it needs to feel automatic. May need a kicking guru to look at his technique.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
You are my hero if you can hit anything with a wedge at 100m.
Golf Swinging GIF

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
So what’s your solution? Just don’t run any plays to the right side of the field on 3rd downs in FG range? I get what you’re saying, but outright refusing to bring a right hash FG into play is a silly and short sighted notion.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
12-8 is correct. Math is hard!

Agree that our player mental blunders have played a large role in making games closer than they should be, and in some instances like Louisville, may have cost us a win. As head coach, Key owns those blunders. We have come a long way from the infamous false-start-after-a-timeout play, but still have a ways to go. I think we are getting there, but for some reason, road games are our kryptonite.
Too many players on the field after a timeout is not much better.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It is likely a mental thing with Birr.
I was thinking more along his pre snap alignment or how he aims on that hash. His kicking motion is fine. It may be just a minor change that will click. Even the top golf pros have swing and mental coaches.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I was glad to see the OC didn't give up on the play which cost us a touchdown a few weeks ago. The one where that QB takes the snap, runs toward line, then stops and throws it to a receiver way out on the right side. The other time s defense had gotten into the lane and Haynes didn't look before he threw. This time there were no defenders in the lane and the play went for about 50 yards.