#UGAvsGT Postgame. 45-0, Tech loses

alagold

Helluva Engineer
USCw was an unstoppable power until they weren't. Miami was a juggernaut until they weren't. Florida, Auburn, LSU, tOSU, ND, Washington, all of these teams were riding the wave until it crashed. This too will pass with uga and we'll once again be competitive with them.
The change MIGHT come but there is a change in college fball that is here NOW.It is the era of semi-pro players that get money to play based on their rep.The top teams get the rep, get the players and get the income to hire the best coaches (or get rid of them).We might be FCS before we are really competitive again.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Even when we were #7 in the country there was still a lot of red. We just don’t have that big of a fan base, expanding our stadium allowed other teams fans accesI have been going to games at BDS for 40 years. It has never been like it was yesterday. Totally embarrassing and I felt bad for the pampers.
I have been going to games at BDS for 40 years. It has never been as bad as it was yesterday. I felt bad for the seniors and their families.

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
Just finished watching Bedlam, and the elation and relief of the Oklahoma State fans was incredible to see. They had lost 6 in a row, and only won 2 of the last 18. With so much anguish and defeat, and Oklahoma destroying OSU in the series, this win gives them a legit shot at the CFP.

After a decade of being Ohio State’s little brother, Michigan finally broke through. They’ve got a chance to make it to the CFP and are legit contenders for the first time in forever.

Under different circumstances, Washington State ended a 7 game losing streak and will go bowling while Washington sits at home this bowl season. They stormed Washington’s field after the game

So seeing all of those little guys beat their rivals this year got me thinking. Does our fanbase have any belief that we’ll get to experience that feeling of elation and relief again? We’ve been dominated by Clemson and UGA, and both of them have turned into perennial powerhouses while we’ve turned into a cellar dweller. It’s just hard for me to imagine us beating UGA anytime soon. They’ve accumulated so much talent, it’s literally like playing Alabama now. I have no belief we would compete or even play with Bama, but for some reason I feel like we could beat UGA. I am so ready to get out of this rut, but UGA is on a mountain overlooking our rut. We have so far to go to ever beat them again unless they have some serious issues. I just want to feel what these other fanbases are feeling today again

Kirby said it best after the beat Florida. The Jimmy and Joes beats the Xs and Os. We have some talent but it's sparse and we have no depth behind them. If, by chance, we can get some good talent where we are 2 or even 3 deep at many of our position groups, we can compete with the better teams and be more competitive. Teams like Bama, Ugag, Ohio State stack 4 and 5 star talent like cord wood. So when the rotate, there is no drop off. That's where we need to be although 3 win seasons and a coach that wears man capri pants, doesn't seem to be the right path.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
when teams put in their backup QBs in the 3rd as has happened the last two weeks, the defensive stats for the game mean less.
All we need to know is we gave up 11 ypp in the first half when they were still trying.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Man, we have terrible coaching. The o line might as well be dudes off the street. Zero pass rush. Yates put in bad situations all day. If he had a half-decent o line I think he would be a good QB. Gibbs would be ****ing legendary with that as well. The defense...is a different story. Thacker is not a great schemer but he would be ok with some legit talent. We are just as way too slow, ESPECIALLY at DB and both safety spots, and compounding that with just ok to not good schemes and it all gets blown out of the water. Putting all the previous pieces together points to coaching. Collins needs to cut the bull**** and change the way this team practices immediately. I would love to get a firsthand look at what is actually going on in practice because it can't be conducive to developing better players.

Last edited:

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
Just finished watching Bedlam, and the elation and relief of the Oklahoma State fans was incredible to see. They had lost 6 in a row, and only won 2 of the last 18. With so much anguish and defeat, and Oklahoma destroying OSU in the series, this win gives them a legit shot at the CFP.

After a decade of being Ohio State’s little brother, Michigan finally broke through. They’ve got a chance to make it to the CFP and are legit contenders for the first time in forever.

Under different circumstances, Washington State ended a 7 game losing streak and will go bowling while Washington sits at home this bowl season. They stormed Washington’s field after the game

So seeing all of those little guys beat their rivals this year got me thinking. Does our fanbase have any belief that we’ll get to experience that feeling of elation and relief again? We’ve been dominated by Clemson and UGA, and both of them have turned into perennial powerhouses while we’ve turned into a cellar dweller. It’s just hard for me to imagine us beating UGA anytime soon. They’ve accumulated so much talent, it’s literally like playing Alabama now. I have no belief we would compete or even play with Bama, but for some reason I feel like we could beat UGA. I am so ready to get out of this rut, but UGA is on a mountain overlooking our rut. We have so far to go to ever beat them again unless they have some serious issues. I just want to feel what these other fanbases are feeling today again
If Kirby builds anything close to what Saban has at Bama I could see use losing 15 in a row or worse and that is regardless of who the coach is. Look at what Bama has done to the Miss State, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Tennessee of the world's.

Add insult to injury Dabo has built an empire just as equal at Clemson. Sprinkle in ND every other year and that is 3 loses before we even kick off a season.

To me this is what is most depressing. I honestly don't know how long it will be until we beat Clemson or UGA again. #Vomit

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If Kirby builds anything close to what Saban has at Bama I could see use losing 15 in a row or worse and that is regardless of who the coach is. Look at what Bama has done to the Miss State, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Tennessee of the world's.

Add insult to injury Dabo has built an empire just as equal at Clemson. Sprinkle in ND every other year and that is 3 loses before we even kick off a season.

To me this is what is most depressing. I honestly don't know how long it will be until we beat Clemson or UGA again. #Vomit
It is disheartening, there needs to be some kind of parity in cfb or it will never be the same sport we love and know

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Don’t want this to get buried and go unseen by many who need to see it.

I think as fans we get caught up in the results so much, and wanting to win that we forget what college football is about; it’s just kids trying to have fun playing a game. I respect the hell out of Tre and the whole Swilling family, they’ve truly seen the best and worst of GT football. A lot of fans, myself included, were very hard on our secondary players this year, especially Tre, Tariq, and Juanyeh. They may not have produced the results we would have liked, but all 3 of those guys are great kids and true Tech men. To go out there on senior day to an 80% red crowd, to hear audible boos during your senior celebration, to get pummeled by your rival where I’m sure they have a lot of friends on the other side. I can’t think of a more gut-wrenching feeling. I hope the program will have a turn around, for the benefit of the kids who work so hard to represent the Institute, both on and off the field.

I don’t know what reporter asked the question that prompted this extremely thoughtful response but thanks to them too. Those are the types of questions that create genuine responses like this, and not a canned response that gets repeated week after week

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Don’t want this to get buried and go unseen by many who need to see it.

I think as fans we get caught up in the results so much, and wanting to win that we forget what college football is about; it’s just kids trying to have fun playing a game. I respect the hell out of Tre and the whole Swilling family, they’ve truly seen the best and worst of GT football. A lot of fans, myself included, were very hard on our secondary players this year, especially Tre, Tariq, and Juanyeh. They may not have produced the results we would have liked, but all 3 of those guys are great kids and true Tech men. To go out there on senior day to an 80% red crowd, to hear audible boos during your senior celebration, to get pummeled by your rival where I’m sure they have a lot of friends on the other side. I can’t think of a more gut-wrenching feeling. I hope the program will have a turn around, for the benefit of the kids who work so hard to represent the Institute, both on and off the field.
My daughter has a HS classmate in the band and he has been extremely complimentary of Tre in particular. Said he was one of very few to come over to see the band after the ND loss. We do have great guys that we can all be proud of. Makes it all the more disappointing how CGC and his staff let them down.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Now principal and damn fine linebacker back in the day Rodney Wilkerson ('91 - '94) takes it in stride:

“It’s funny. I’m like—wow. I don’t take it personally anymore,” he said.

This month, the school took part in the annual “Pennies for Paulding” campaign to buy Christmas gifts for local children who would otherwise go without them.

Wilkerson issued a challenge. If students could double their annual donation, he would not only dress in red and black, but he would paint a bulldog on his head, too.

“Everyone had a blast watching him ‘suffer.’ Out of love, of course,” school counselor Dr. Meitra Perry said.

Nebo students and their parents didn’t double the giving. They tripled it.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m in my mid twenties. I have never seen GT beat UGA in person (I never go to Athens). At this point I’m not sure I ever will. I’m not sure I will ever get to bring my kids to big time college football games at Bobby Dodd. Today was the first time I’ve ever seen us legitimately out numbered in our own stadium. I’ve been to every uga game at Bobby Dodd since 09. I’m very down on the prospects of the future of our program. GT football is my favorite sports team of all time and it’s not particularly close. I’m worried the rest of my life will be spent watching my favorite team slowly wither up and die. Am I crazy to be worried about that?
I don't believe you took a close look at each Tech/uga game you attended. Their fans show up!

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m worried we’ll be worse off than Duke and Kansas tbh. They’re blue bloods in basketball, we’re not. I’m worried we’re gonna get completely left in the dust competing in the same, or maybe even worse, classifications as GaSt and GaSouthern in like 15-20 years.
You need to pay more attention and attend our basketball games.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You think UNC is as good a team as Clemson!!!! Come on, I know Clemson is down this year but they are still a 9 win team and that’s a whole lot better than a six win team.
No, my comment was about ranked teams. uga is absolutely taking credit for beating the #3 team in the Nation and whatever Arkansas was when they played them. Interesting how they avoid Texas A&M and Alabama almost every year.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We haven’t been competitive with them in decades. Everyone talks about how one sided Bedlam is, yet OSU has now won more games against Oklahoma since 2000 than Tech has against Georgia.
The 4 most recent games have been absolute beat downs, all of them by 24+, and 3 of them by 30+. And none of those teams you mentioned have ever poured money into their programs like Georgia currently is, and most of them weren’t juggernauts like Georgia currently is. They’re outspending everybody, and Tech is $200M in the hole. I’d argue there’s not currently a more one sided in-state rivalry in the country. Maybe Purdue-Notre Dame, but they don’t play every year so it’s not really a fair comparison. Even Vandy has beat Tennessee more since 2000 than Tech has beat Georgia, hell Vandy only has one less win against Georgia than Tech does.
This response must be to a different post because it's not relevant to the discussion I was responding to.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The change MIGHT come but there is a change in college fball that is here NOW.It is the era of semi-pro players that get money to play based on their rep.The top teams get the rep, get the players and get the income to hire the best coaches (or get rid of them).We might be FCS before we are really competitive again.
I agree the entire system might change. But, if that happens, then all bets are off about anything. No one knows anything about anything.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Now principal and damn fine linebacker back in the day Rodney Wilkerson ('91 - '94) takes it in stride:

“It’s funny. I’m like—wow. I don’t take it personally anymore,” he said.

This month, the school took part in the annual “Pennies for Paulding” campaign to buy Christmas gifts for local children who would otherwise go without them.

Wilkerson issued a challenge. If students could double their annual donation, he would not only dress in red and black, but he would paint a bulldog on his head, too.

“Everyone had a blast watching him ‘suffer.’ Out of love, of course,” school counselor Dr. Meitra Perry said.

Nebo students and their parents didn’t double the giving. They tripled it.
Money down