uGag, Baseball

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
For RPI, a win counts the same any day.
This is not accurate. RPI weights wins & losses by where games are played using these factors:
Road win x1.3
Road loss x0.7
Home win x0.7
Home loss x1.3
Neutral win/loss x1.0

At 9-2 (8-1 at home / 1-1 on road)

The weight adjusted winning % for RPI is
6.9-2.0 or .775 ...& accounts for 25% of the RPI calculation. The other 75% of the formula is based on opponents winning % & opponents of opponents winning %.

8 × 0.7 = 5.6
1 × 1.3 = 1.3
Wins = 6.9

1 x 0.7 = 0.7
1 x 1.3 = 1.3
Losses = 2

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is not accurate. RPI weights wins & losses by where games are played using these factors:
Road win x1.3
Road loss x0.7
Home win x0.7
Home loss x1.3
Neutral win/loss x1.0

At 9-2 (8-1 at home / 1-1 on road)

The weight adjusted winning % for RPI is
6.9-2.0 or .775 ...& accounts for 25% of the RPI calculation. The other 75% of the formula is based on opponents winning % & opponents of opponents winning %.

8 × 0.7 = 5.6
1 × 1.3 = 1.3
Wins = 6.9

1 x 0.7 = 0.7
1 x 1.3 = 1.3
Losses = 2

OK, just to pick nits*, I said "For RPI, a win counts the same any day." I could have said "For RPI, a win counts the same regardless of the day of the week played or time of the season". I think that would have satisfied any engineers out there and was my obviously insufficiently articulated point. ;)

*Interesting discussion of louse eggs at wiki about nits which are the egg shells. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_lice_infestation

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Danny Hall's retirement cannot come soon enough. No one is going to fire him, but he is an anchor on this program. I fear another year of CWS level talent wasted on a middle of the pack conference finish and an early exit in the regionals.

Agree, IIWII. From earlier post (https://gtswarm.com/threads/2022-23-season.25304/page-10#post-935008 ). Time for a run :buzz:
Just an observation. GT underperforms the Perfect Game ranked talent. Nothing new here, but a long term trend.

We aren't ranked this year even though our 3 year average PG class ranking is 8th. Time for a change.

View attachment 13999

View attachment 14000

Not a new subject (not intending to slam you at all, but this is where we hashed it out and not much has changed), https://gtswarm.com/threads/fire-danny-hall.16488/

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Hall will never be fired. I have heard from multiple people in the GTAA that he has earned the right to leave on his own terms.

My fear is that he retires after some other program hires Ramsey as their head coach.
When Hall departs he'll be leaving/vacating one of the most sought after baseball coaching jobs in the country. The program will be in great shape. The very best coaching candidates will be lining up around the corner to have a shot at it.

I'm pretty sure Ramsey knows more about the timeline & how it projects for him than anyone else. [Unless JBatt has a different plan than his predecessor]

If Ramsey decides to take another job... that's his decision & likely would mean he didn't really want to stay at Tech.

My fear is Ramsey (or anybody) can't do any better than we've seen the last 4 decades... which is pretty good.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
When Hall departs he'll be leaving/vacating one of the most sought after baseball coaching jobs in the country. The program will be in great shape. The very best coaching candidates will be lining up around the corner to have a shot at it.

I'm pretty sure Ramsey knows more about the timeline & how it projects for him than anyone else. [Unless JBatt has a different plan than his predecessor]

If Ramsey decides to take another job... that's his decision & likely would mean he didn't really want to stay at Tech.

My fear is Ramsey (or anybody) can't do any better than we've seen the last 4 decades... which is pretty good.
Anybody can do as well as we have done since 2006.

Ramsey is a great coach. Whichever program locks him up for a long term deal will be playing for many CWS in my opinion. Certainly, more than 0 super regional appearances in 16 years.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

Ramsey is a great coach. Whichever program locks him up for a long term deal will be playing for many CWS in my opinion. Certainly, more than 0 super regional appearances in 16 years.
You seem like a reasonable person. Your 1st sentence is hyperbole. Not true.

I also think Ramsey is our next coach. CWS here we come!

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow

I to think/hope that Ramsey is at least a good coach. That said, what do we base that on? He has been the head coach of exactly zero teams, he has been in the mix for exactly zero big time jobs.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I to think/hope that Ramsey is at least a good coach. That said, what do we base that on? He has been the head coach of exactly zero teams, he has been in the mix for exactly zero big time jobs.
Those close to the the program know the positive impact he has had on recruiting, hitting and player development. He also has been a positive influence in getting CDH to make some other changes that have helped the program. He clearly has a keen baseball mind and works well with the players.

The reason why he has not been in the mix for a big time job is that he is young and still under a lot of people's radar. That is changing fast. Word is getting out, which is why he got a promotion and raise recently.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Ramsey has to bear some responsibility for his time on the staff. He is not perfect.
Um, ok. For what specifically?

Let me help you with that answer. He is responsible for Tech leading the ACC in hitting in each of the three years he has been a coach here. Last we led the nation in hitting. The results speak for themselves. The suggestion that he is in any way responsible for the program's failure to get past the regionals in any of the last 16 years is utterly insane and completely detached from reality.

Last edited:

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
No and that’s ridiculous to even say. How many supers has Clemson been to since they fired Leggett? Zero

How many supers has Miami been to since Jim Morris retired? Zero

How many supers has UGA been to since they fired Perno? Zero. And Perno doesn’t hold a candle to Danny Hall

All of those teams are incredibly talented, with rich histories, yet they haven’t equaled or succeeded what their most recent coaches had done. In Miami and Clemson’s cases those coaches were legends akin to DH.

Winning in the postseason in baseball is not easy. Especially not in the format college baseball uses. Have we had enough talent to get to Omaha since 2006? Yeah, definitely. I think we’ve put at least one guy in the big leagues for every 4 year class cycle since DH has been here. But there are teams with future big leaguers on them every year who don’t get out of their own regional. See: Clemson, Miami, UGA, and countless other examples.

In baseball all you can do is get yourself into the postseason. Winning in the postseason equates to nothing more than a stroke of luck and being hot at the right time. Since 1969, only 13 MLB teams with the best regular season record have won the World Series that year. Last year the Phillies had the second-worst record of any team in the playoffs and made the WS. Winning in the playoffs is just dumb luck, and GT hasn’t found any in a long time. It doesn’t help us ton when we tend to get matched up in much tougher regionals than the average P5 team too.

Our last 3 regionals on the road have been: #1 Tennessee 2022, #4 Vandy 2021, #2 Florida 2016

Is there more success to be had for GT baseball than what we’ve seen? Yes. Is Danny Hall to blame for our postseason mishaps? No. That’s just baseball.

Lone Star Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

I really worry about Ramsey bailing to take another HC job - from what I gather, he got a lot of calls in the off-season. CDH needs to go ahead and announce his retirement during or immediately at end of season and Batt hand it over to Ramsey. And hopefully there’s minimal or no buyout on Borrell’s extension - assume Ramsey would bring in his own guys.