uga @ Tech for 2021 COFH

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I am grateful for my time at Ma Tech. Like you and others have the said, the material is probably less important in the long run than the secondary lessons taught - how to grind, persevere, overcome obstacles, finding other ways to be successful, etc. But the teaching style there is only applicable to the top 5-10% of the normal curve. The rank and file would fall by the wayside, as did many of our peers who could not or would not adapt.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming. I am giving myself a warning for going off topic here.
I agree, the last thing i'll clarify was that I did not say we'd produce the most STEM teachers. I said we'd produce the best. I do think that our SA's would thrive with that kind of degree.

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
I am grateful for my time at Ma Tech. Like you and others have the said, the material is probably less important in the long run than the secondary lessons taught - how to grind, persevere, overcome obstacles, finding other ways to be successful, etc. But the teaching style there is only applicable to the top 5-10% of the normal curve. The rank and file would fall by the wayside, as did many of our peers who could not or would not adapt.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming. I am giving myself a warning for going off topic here.
After 26 years working as an engineer, I became a high school teacher. I always told my students my goal was to teach them how to think and solve problems, and I used math to do that.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
After 26 years working as an engineer, I became a high school teacher. I always told my students my goal was to teach them how to think and solve problems, and I used math to do that.

This is actual teaching. Students don't learn how to learn or fail anymore. Students are taught to treat failures as some sort of external issue first when most of the time there are internal things that need to be tried first.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We are on similar paths. I left the engineering/management/manufacturing arena after about the same amount of time. Now teach math + economics at the HS level. I have noticed that the ones who say that nobody uses math in the real world probably won't be in their adult life! I am amused that teenagers will attempt to debate with you about the "real world" or what things are like for students in college!

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
We are on similar paths. I left the engineering/management/manufacturing arena after about the same amount of time. Now teach math + economics at the HS level. I have noticed that the ones who say that nobody uses math in the real world probably won't be in their adult life! I am amused that teenagers will attempt to debate with you about the "real world" or what things are like for students in college!
A good many people without experience substitute arrogance. It's a poor substitute.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Demetrius Robertson, granted a 6th year-should not be playing in this game.
Or any more college games...warrant issued for his arrest after felony charges.

So glad G.T. didn’t wind up with him either time.

ugacdawg

Georgia Tech Fan
Demetrius Robertson... warrant issued for his arrest after felony charges.
While he has been completely underwhelming since his freshman year at UCLA (he couldn’t block), to be fair, the ‘felony’ charge was for removing a parking boot... stupid yes, felony charge... eh.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
While he has been completely underwhelming since his freshman year at UCLA (he couldn’t block), to be fair, the ‘felony’ charge was for removing a parking boot... stupid yes, felony charge... eh.
Why anyone would go to athens to deal with tha PD i don't know.