uga @ Tech for 2021 COFH

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
And it also bears repeating that it doesn’t matter if the coaches and ADs wanted to play. The schools, including UGA, voted no. So they didn’t play.

Yet you went right back and implied that uga was ducking us in your post. If you think uga is ducking us, or was in any way worried about playing us, you are delusional.

Tundeballer

Jolly Good Fellow
Speaking of ducking, I've in the last couple years felt we really should find a way to stop playing UGA yearly. Negative outweighs the positives for us. When we win 1 out of 3/4 years it's great. But the years we lose sucks. Game doesn't help with recruiting or fan morale. And with Clemson being great for the foreseeable future, we don't need to play another factory program willingly.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Yet you went right back and implied that uga was ducking us in your post. If you think uga is ducking us, or was in any way worried about playing us, you are delusional.
I literally said nobody thinks they “ducked” Tech. I said they took the safe option

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
Nobody thinks they “ducked” Tech because they were scared to play. But the fact is they voted not to play. In a year with wild practice schedules while they had a question mark at QB before the year even started they took the safe bet. Maybe they thought an all SEC schedule would look good enough to get them into the playoff. Regardless of why, they didn’t want to play.

When someone used the word "ducked" at least for when I've seen it used, it usually means in fear of. Not saying every person infers it that way, just my opinion on it.

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
I wouldn’t mind replacing UGA if we continue to dwindle in mediocrity, bottom line is for most of their fans under 60 years old they don’t care about Tech, we’re like their 4th biggest game sometimes 5th.

This is correct. Half my family are UGA grads my moms side and I have many UGA friends from growing up. They really don't care about us and would prefer to play teams like Clemson, FSU, etc in place of us these days. The rivalry, if you can call it that, has been entirely 1 sided since 2000 when most young fans were born. We are below Florida, Tennessee, Auburn and even South Carolina on their pecking order.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I wouldn’t mind replacing UGA if we continue to dwindle in mediocrity, bottom line is for most of their fans under 60 years old they don’t care about Tech, we’re like their 4th biggest game sometimes 5th.
Unless we get significantly better, this is so one sided it is not a rivalry. I also think it hurts us in recruiting because GA will point to how much they manhandle GT year after year. PJ did get 3 wins against them but the talent level at GA is significantly better now and I don't think we would be competitive even with the 3O. However since a lot of the big money donors are older, they would be against removing this game. Also considering our revenue situation, this is one of only a few games we can depend on a sellout and significant dollars. If we get better and consistently get 50K plus in attendance, this becomes a more viable discussion.

ME22

Georgia Tech Fan
Speaking of ducking, I've in the last couple years felt we really should find a way to stop playing UGA yearly. Negative outweighs the positives for us. When we win 1 out of 3/4 years it's great. But the years we lose sucks. Game doesn't help with recruiting or fan morale. And with Clemson being great for the foreseeable future, we don't need to play another factory program willingly.
I actually think you’re making a better case to stop playing Clemson every year. There’s no good way out of playing UGA. Although hopefully we’re on our way to being competitive with both

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
This is correct. Half my family are UGA grads my moms side and I have many UGA friends from growing up. They really don't care about us and would prefer to play teams like Clemson, FSU, etc in place of us these days. The rivalry, if you can call it that, has been entirely 1 sided since 2000 when most young fans were born. We are below Florida, Tennessee, Auburn and even South Carolina on their pecking order.
2014 and 2016 say hello. Also most games until the past 3 years have been very competitive. 2013, overtime. 2015, 6 point game. I played at UGA, I know how some UGA fans who never attended the college think and some who don't understand the Hate think. UGA could win the Natty, while losing to GT and it would be a losing season. Trust me. When UGA loses to GT, its a losing season, period. So your UGa family have zero understanding of the rivalry. I know both sides.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I actually think you’re making a better case to stop playing Clemson every year. There’s no good way out of playing UGA. Although hopefully we’re on our way to being competitive with both
The conference mandates we play Clemson, so we couldn't get out of that series if we wanted to.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
2014 and 2016 say hello. Also most games until the past 3 years have been very competitive. 2013, overtime. 2015, 6 point game. I played at UGA, I know how some UGA fans who never attended the college think and some who don't understand the Hate think. UGA could win the Natty, while losing to GT and it would be a losing season. Trust me. When UGA loses to GT, its a losing season, period. So your UGa family have zero understanding of the rivalry. I know both sides.
The conspiracy minded might also notice that every time we beat them under paul johnson there was a rule change that specifically targeted option offenses brought up to the rules committee and a few of them got passed. In 2008 there was a rule about the crackback that got defeated then passed after 2009 i think (which is odd because they rode 38 toss crack to the championship wiht Herschel. Then after 2014 there was the rule about 5 yard down the field you can't block below the waist (but tackling below the waist is okay?) Then after 2016 it was the rule about block angle towards endzone and tacklebox restrictions that effectively killed the block angle on our trips and spread flex formations (and killed any chance of the pistol flexbone working even Georgia Southern and Tulane as well as the academy's were hurt by this one hard.) But notice for 3 years we haven't seen anything about blocking.

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow

Haha, sure thing sport. We can just agree to disagree then.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
The conference mandates we play Clemson, so we couldn't get out of that series if we wanted to.
There really should be a change. It’s currently not even close to fair that we are (one of two/three?) team(s) to play Clemson our of the coastal. It’s an advantage for the other teams to get into the ACCCG over us.

Couldn’t you keep a 2 division set up and keep the instate rivals(VT/UVA, FSU/Miami) in the opposing divisions and re-seed every year? Or run a rotation? I feel someone said you have to have 2 divisions.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Haha, sure thing sport. We can just agree to disagree then.
I really don't understand the condescension when someone who has lived the story at the highest levels weighs in. What you need to remember is that the average joe doesn't really matter for a rivalry. Its the money people and those with clout that matter. Let uga lose to Tech 3X in a row and see how long Kirby lasts, even if they play in the SEC Championship game each year. Yeah, when they lose to Tech, it matters. Ask Jim Donnan.

He went 9-3, 8.4, and 8-4 and ended the season ranked in the Top20, losing to GT all three years, and was fired.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
I really don't understand the condescension when someone who has lived the story at the highest levels weighs in. What you need to remember is that the average joe doesn't really matter for a rivalry. Its the money people and those with clout that matter. Let uga lose to Tech 3X in a row and see how long Kirby lasts, even if they play in the SEC Championship game each year. Yeah, when they lose to Tech, it matters. Ask Jim Donnan.

He went 9-3, 8.4, and 8-4 and ended the season ranked in the Top20, losing to GT all three years, and was fired.
Exactly. Game is always sold out. Its still very a very important game. When we were in the UGA lettermens club in 2016 with 15 GT football family members, you can bet after the game my UGA friends thought it was important... GT will make it competitive again.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
There really should be a change. It’s currently not even close to fair that we are (one of two/three?) team(s) to play Clemson our of the coastal. It’s an advantage for the other teams to get into the ACCCG over us.

Couldn’t you keep a 2 division set up and keep the instate rivals(VT/UVA, FSU/Miami) in the opposing divisions and re-seed every year? Or run a rotation? I feel someone said you have to have 2 divisions.
You just need to have the first part of getting into the championship game be division record, not conference record. It should be division, then head to head, the. Conference record.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

That's our fault, not UGA's. It's on GT to get our house in order and become more competitive. Saying we don't want to play UGA because it's no longer competitive is more an indictment on GT than UGA.

When CPJ beat UGA in 2008 in his first try, anyone else felt like UGA game was going to be a winnable game going forward? I sure did...I always felt like we had a good chance against them...and we did outside of a few games.

Leaving the UGA rivalry, to me, would be similar to leaving the SEC. Looking at the short term that would negatively affect the long term. It didn't work out well for us. Who's to say CGC won't get this turned around over the next couple of season and GT starts winning more games against UGA? BTW, UGA is beginning to co-opt a LOT of our recruiting themes...trust me, they may treat us like the red headed step child, but we're very much in their heads. Leaving the rivalry does nothing but help UGA.

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
Sport ? Im a UGA letterman w a Son who is a UGA letterman and played football at GT and another who was a 4 year starter for GT. I believe I have a understanding of the rivalry. People who understand the game, understand the Hate. Funny your Id is HouseDivided...

Good story. Thanks for sharing!