UGA - COFH Part 2

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Interesting given Willingham's Friday start had 89 pitches. Also, UGAg has seen Willingham and should be better prepared for him.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hurter for an inning just to keep him fresh for Sunday.

Wouldn't surprise me if Willingham starts on a strict pitch count, especially if it's supposed to be a side bullpen day for him.

Also wouldn't be surprised to see Hurter throw an inning or two to get him back to where he would need to be to start on the weekend.

Wouldn't surprise me if Willingham starts on a strict pitch count, especially if it's supposed to be a side bullpen day for him.

Also wouldn't be surprised to see Hurter throw an inning or two to get him back to where he would need to be to start on the weekend.

You are correct. Looks like Willingham will be on a pitch count. I'm thinking 2 or 3 innings probably.

tkh74

Georgia Tech Fan
Haven't seen it posted elsewhere, but everyone knows the game is on the SECN? I may even listen to their play by play to see if they gives us any credit for the season we're putting together.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Can someone explain what this coaching staff sees in Bartnicki? His ERA is now around 7.50 and his effectiveness in just about all the key situations I can recall has been....let's just say "poor". Yeah, that's the word I'll go with.....

Might as well get some guys innings who never see the mound. Let's see what ya got....back of the bullpen....

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Can someone explain what this coaching staff sees in Bartnicki? His ERA is now around 7.50 and his effectiveness in just about all the key situations I can recall has been....let's just say "poor". Yeah, that's the word I'll go with.....

Might as well get some guys innings who never see the mound. Let's see what ya got....back of the bullpen....
I'm sure they see a 95 mph fastball. All freshmen struggle, just look at what Curry and Hurter did their freshmen years. Even Thomas had like a 10 ERA his freshman year, granted it was only a handful of innings, but still.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Actually, I must admit that I feel the same way about Gibson. Another guy with a 7.50 ERA. Have we no one else who can pitch on this roster? Is the rest of the bullpen really worse than 7.50 ERA guys??

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure they see a 95 mph fastball. All freshmen struggle, just look at what Curry and Hurter did their freshmen years. Even Thomas had like a 10 ERA his freshman year, granted it was only a handful of innings, but still.
Thank you. As I have not seen these guys, I can only go by the stat sheet. It does help to have a better informed point of view....

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I will admit though I still would rather see other bullpen guys get a shot rather than see the same group (who haven't yet been very successful....)

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Thank you. As I have not seen these guys, I can only go by the stat sheet. It does help to have a better informed point of view....
He is sort of a LH version of Hurter. Not quite as big, listed @ 6’3” and 210 who throws hard and has a ton of potential. Based on what I see out of our pen Hall knows that we are in trouble and keeps running him out there in hopes of what he will become, hopefully this year. There are not a lot of positive results that you and I are seeing on the field, but maybe they are seeing progress in his sides? He certainly has the potential & the frame to succeed.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
He is sort of a LH version of Hurter. Not quite as big, listed @ 6’3” and 210 who throws hard and has a ton of potential. Based on what I see out of our pen Hall knows that we are in trouble and keeps running him out there in hopes of what he will become, hopefully this year. There are not a lot of positive results that you and I are seeing on the field, but maybe they are seeing progress in his sides? He certainly has the potential & the frame to succeed.
Hurter is a LHP.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Developing Bartnicki for next year. He is going to have to come along with his potential. That's my theory, other than he is a fav.

The Hall trio of Bartnicki, Hughes and Gibson gave up 9 runs in 3 innings. The last time that trio pitched, they gave up 6 runs in 2 innings.

The other non-fav Hall pitchers, Shirah, Lee, Barlow and Carpenter gave up 0 runs in 2 innings.

I think the problem is largely pitcher selection and trying the same old failing solutions. We have a lot of reasonably accomplished pitchers and need to do a lot more rotation to find the gamers.

I hope that Willingham doesn't start the third time against UGAg. He gave up 2 HRs which showed they knew what they would get. 9 batters, 3 hits and 2 er; bright side is another run that was scored was on Serratos (who only had only one error in two attempts).

Deleted member 2897

We only held them scoreless in an inning twice. Pretty much nobody could pitch last night. It felt like we didn’t care.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Hate to say it after Friday, but I think Willingham deserves a break on this one. He was held out of his normal start last week, threw by far his worst game of the year against UNC. A game that was very uncharacteristic in which he matched his season total for walks in just 4 innings. Then he’s asked to come back after 3 days rest and start against the number 2 team in the country after they’ve already seen him once. He was pretty much set up to fail from the beginning. Now you have to make the decision of whether or not to keep him on the Tuesday rotation, with Auburn coming up again who hasn’t seen him, and Georgia for the third time the next week.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Hate to say it after Friday, but I think Willingham deserves a break on this one. He was held out of his normal start last week, threw by far his worst game of the year against UNC. A game that was very uncharacteristic in which he matched his season total for walks in just 4 innings. Then he’s asked to come back after 3 days rest and start against the number 2 team in the country after they’ve already seen him once. He was pretty much set up to fail from the beginning. Now you have to make the decision of whether or not to keep him on the Tuesday rotation, with Auburn coming up again who hasn’t seen him, and Georgia for the third time the next week.
Don’t disagree and it sounds like Auburn is worth keeping him in the weekday rotation.

Not sure we should send him out again vs UGa though

tkh74

Georgia Tech Fan
I felt bad for Willingham that we put him in a game he could only lose, with no chance to win based on the pitching plan for the game. Would think we could have tried someone else to start, with him pitching in the middle if needed.
Looking at the RPI just now, is my memory this bad, or did we move up one spot after last nights game. Looks like they also moved up a spot. SOS also at #4. BC a Q2 team at the moment so they shouldn't hurt us on the road unless we lose the series, and even then it wouldn't be a death blow to our hopes to host. Would make it a tough row to hoe, but the door wouldn't be locked.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I would keep him on normal rotation now.

I want Barlow, Brace, Roedig, Shirah and Chapman to pitch more. I really like what I have seen from these guys and they are probably going to be the pitching core next year. I wanted to see more of Mannelly this year, but somebody said that his arm was in a cast so that explains why.

Bartnicki has excellent stuff, he just needs to learn to pitch at this level and it typically takes a freshman pitcher an entire year to get his feet under him. The most important thing I look at for freshman pitchers is strikeouts to innings pitched. If they have more strikeouts than innings pitched, they are going to develop into their potential.