UGA (1st of 3)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Last night, definitely 1 step back in the ol' 2 steps forward & 1 step back cliche. There are 2 more shots at them by season's end.

The fact it is UGA makes it hard to take. Big picture, though... loss midweek to high RPI opponent on road is not end of the world. ...an inability to flush it & turn it around immediately would be a problem.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Yep, leaves a really bad taste in your mouth as a tech fan, but have to forget about that and move on. The team has clawed its way back to .500 in ACC & put itself in a good position to succeed. We have already played (arguably) our two toughest series & perhaps this weekend play the third toughest, Duke notwithstanding (that was tough to say). Hope they can forget about this one and come out ready to play against the Nokes.

What was the scoop on English last night? Still recovering from taking FB off the legs on Sat? Also, any news on Kel? Would have loved to see him at DH last night if healthy.

I wonder if the outcome last night would have been any different if either of those first inning calls go our way?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Just can't have 2 automatic, guaranteed outs in a lineup of 9 batters. I don't want to hear about their upside, defensive abilities, projections, Perfect Game rankings, Under Armour All-American status, all state rankings, high school they played at, etc. etc. The two automatic outs are just purely overmatched at the plate when there is average or above pitching on the mound.
I agree with this... I will quibble a bit with the balancing of defense v offense contribution. I did not like the lineup last night. However, I also don't know exactly the hand CDH was dealt. How bad is English's leg? Even if you start a different outfield... Murray had to come out early and be replaced. ...but I agree that batting lineup was more likely to produce what it did than score a bunch of runs. I'm just not sure what the alternative is... with the specific injured players we have right now. There are a few guys who have less than 5 ABs all season who I'd be fine allowing some of them an opportunity if Johnson, Murray, Ca.Hall, English, Waddell remain on the shelf.

GtBaseball3

Jolly Good Fellow
Typical DH teams that hit terrible when facing guys that throw low/mid 90s. Their first pitcher literally threw fastball after fastball and we still couldn’t hit it. Why? Because he was throwing mid 90s. We would be last place if we were in the SEC.

Another thing, UGA has finally passed us in baseball!!! With much of their roster being young, we will be losing to them for awhile. Nobody cares though because this isn’t football or basketball.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
We have five reliable pitchers: Curry, Thomas, English, Hurter, and Archer.
Waddell has a strained calf, Kel is having shoulder problems, Cater Hall is finished due to a bad back, Carpenter tried to come back too soon from broken collar bone.
Uga has shut out four of their last six opponents. They have great pitching, and have stolen the guy I always hoped would succeed Hall.
I hope Murray does not have a concussion.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
We have five reliable pitchers: Curry, Thomas, English, Hurter, and Archer.
Waddell has a strained calf, Kel is having shoulder problems, Cater Hall is finished due to a bad back, Carpenter tried to come back too soon from broken collar bone.
Uga has shut out four of their last six opponents. They have great pitching, and have stolen the guy I always hoped would succeed Hall.
I hope Murray does not have a concussion.
It's the pitching (and their coach) who get my goat.

They are either out-recruiting us (coach) or they are coaching them up better than us (coach).

If we go 0-3 again this year with them, it will be a ringing indictment of the Hall regime. Especially if we slide in the ACC from where we are. If we bounce back and split the next two with them and make the NCAA's, it will be some consolation....but if all it means is being sent to Athens for a Regional and getting eliminated there.....I'll be p**sed.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
It's the pitching (and their coach) who get my goat.

They are either out-recruiting us (coach) or they are coaching them up better than us (coach).

If we go 0-3 again this year with them, it will be a ringing indictment of the Hall regime. Especially if we slide in the ACC from where we are. If we bounce back and split the next two with them and make the NCAA's, it will be some consolation....but if all it means is being sent to Athens for a Regional and getting eliminated there.....I'll be p**sed.
How do I "unsee" that last paragraph? A lot of terrible-ness compressed in those few sentences. :) Let's hope that bad stuff doesn't happen.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
After Hurter's last 3 starts, I have been wondering if we should move him to the weekend rotation and use Thomas out of the pen. I feel like having Thomas in the pen could really stabilize it and we would have 2 reliable pitchers in him and Archer. Then, Chapman could start the weekdays. Just a thought that I had.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Typical DH teams that hit terrible when facing guys that throw low/mid 90s. Their first pitcher literally threw fastball after fastball and we still couldn’t hit it. Why? Because he was throwing mid 90s. We would be last place if we were in the SEC.

Another thing, UGA has finally passed us in baseball!!! With much of their roster being young, we will be losing to them for awhile. Nobody cares though because this isn’t football or basketball.
Ok, it's good to know where you stand. First of all, do you think that none of the pitchers in the ACC throw in the low/mid 90s? The ACC and SEC are the 2 best conferences in college baseball and to be at .500 in either conference, you have a good team. As to your other point, maybe they have passed us in baseball, but I don't think so. We have more freshmen contributing than they do and they have more upperclassmen than we do. They have a little bit of an older team. Because they had a lot of freshmen, now sophomores, who got experience playing last year, they are a lot more experienced than us right now.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok, it's good to know where you stand. First of all, do you think that none of the pitchers in the ACC throw in the low/mid 90s? The ACC and SEC are the 2 best conferences in college baseball and to be at .500 in either conference, you have a good team. As to your other point, maybe they have passed us in baseball, but I don't think so. We have more freshmen contributing than they do and they have more upperclassmen than we do. They have a little bit of an older team. Because they had a lot of freshmen, now sophomores, who got experience playing last year, they are a lot more experienced than us right now.
There is no may about it, they have passed us. We've lost 4 straight to them, and only won 3 of the last 10. This team is young but severely lacks fundamentals on the base paths and in the field. Getting over powered at the plate or having the other team beat our pitchers is one thing, but this team is very poorly coached.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
There is no may about it, they have passed us. We've lost 4 straight to them, and only won 3 of the last 10. This team is young but severely lacks fundamentals on the base paths and in the field. Getting over powered at the plate or having the other team beat our pitchers is one thing, but this team is very poorly coached.
I will wait for the year to play out to see how things finish. Not saying I am not disturbed by some things, but also have to say I am encouraged by the starting pitching.

I do think that #THWG had a very interesting idea about moving one starter back to the bullpen to stabilize things. I might suggest English as opposed to Thomas, but only because he started there this year and as very effective. But I can see either he or Thomas making that move.

Chapman would get shelled in midweek games but might learn enough to be a valuable asset by the end of the season.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow

The ACC is down this year - one look at Miami and UVA should tell you that. Currently, by RPI, the ACC is the number #3 conference in college baseball, not #2. And who's fault is it that UGA is more experienced than we are? We've had plenty of years to build up upperclassmen with supposedly-great recruiting classes; our 2016 class was ranked as high as #20, our 2015 class as high as #3, and 2014 as high as #9.

And I think that if UGA hasn't passed us, they're close. In 2015, neither of us made the tournament and we went 1-1 against them head-to-head. In 2016, we made the NCAAs, although we were projected as one of the last teams in. They also won the series from us, 2 games to 1. Last year we were essentially identical, with an RPI of 75 for us and 85 for them. Notably, they swept the series against us. This year, they are in the discussion for a regional host spot, while we're on the bubble (and not in the field according to d1's latest projections).

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
After Hurter's last 3 starts, I have been wondering if we should move him to the weekend rotation and use Thomas out of the pen. I feel like having Thomas in the pen could really stabilize it and we would have 2 reliable pitchers in him and Archer. Then, Chapman could start the weekdays. Just a thought that I had.
Hurter was actually in the pen on Saturday or Sunday along with Archer, Datoc, Winborne, and Chapman, so there’s a chance CDH may be thinking the same thing. Since we didn’t have to use him last weekend, that would be why he started last night.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
You should change tour name to Mister Negative.

GtBaseball3

Jolly Good Fellow

Evey game I’ve watched this year we have faced nobody throwing harder than 92 mph, except for last night.They have passed us. We might be on the young side , but Everyone quickly forgets that our juniors were a TOP 5 recruiting class and they have lost 4 straight to the dawgs. Imagine if we had a top 5 recruiting class in football and were this bad

GtBaseball3

Jolly Good Fellow
Evey game I’ve watched this year we have faced nobody throwing harder than 92 mph, except for last night.They have passed us. We might be on the young side , but Everyone quickly forgets that our juniors were a TOP 5 recruiting class and they have lost 4 straight to the dawgs. Imagine if we had a top 5 recruiting class in football and were this bad

Here’s the link for everyone that shows we had a top 5 recruiting class. Drafted players were NOT included in this ranking either ( and we only lost one kid to the draft, for people who use that excuse)
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/baseball-america-d1baseball-release-2015-recruiting-rankings/amp/

THWG

Helluva Engineer

GtBaseball3

Jolly Good Fellow
What that doesn't take into account is that only 8 of those 18 are on team right now and 4 of those 8 have missed significant time while on campus.

Has to be a reason why we lost 10 guys. Ever thought it was because of the coaching? It’s not like we haven’t had other top 10 classes. And I heard the same injury excuse with Smelters class and evey other class since we switched to BBCOR

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Has to be a reason why we lost 10 guys. Ever thought it was because of the coaching? It’s not like we haven’t had other top 10 classes. And I heard the same injury excuse with Smelters class and evey other class since we switched to BBCOR
Sometimes it is coaching, but it has mostly been injuries, guys getting blocked, and academics for us. In this year's class, Kale Ledford and Jason Rooks were 2 guys that I was really excited about, but I heard that academics were a problem for them and they never made it on campus. As for guys getting blocked, Barzilli was going to be a good player for us, but Justus blocked him at SS. Stallings would have been a huge help this year, but again, he was blocked and probably wouldn't have seen a lot of starting time without injuries (which have occurred again). I am sure that guys have left because of coaching, but that's not the only reason.