UGA (#1 of 3)

THWG

Helluva Engineer
That something would be Danny Hall
It's not Danny Hall. The coaches can only do so much and right now it's pretty clear that this team just isn't gelling and it has no leaders. Last year, the leaders were Gonzo and Gold. Nobody has stepped up this year and that is hurting this team very very very badly.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
And we end the game with strikeout no. 15. Again, UGA was last in the SEC in team ERA coming into this one.

We've phoned it in.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It's not Danny Hall. The coaches can only do so much and right now it's pretty clear that this team just isn't gelling and it has no leaders. Last year, the leaders were Gonzo and Gold. Nobody has stepped up this year and that is hurting this team very very very badly.

Danny Hall has been the only constant in our last 10 years of futility.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Danny Hall has been the only constant in our last 10 years of futility.
Futility? We have only missed the postseason twice (about to be 3 times) in his 23 years. I know that we have had some quick exits, but anything can happen in postseason baseball. Any program in the country would kill to have that kind of track record.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Futility? We have only missed the postseason twice (about to be 3 times) in his 23 years. I know that we have had some quick exits, but anything can happen in postseason baseball. Any program in the country would kill to have that kind of track record.

We should've made at least one super regional in the past 10 years. We sit in a hotbed of talent with the built-in advantage of the HOPE scholarship and UGA being in the dumps. We should be a good team.

Instead, we're awful. And I strongly disagree with the 'anything can happen' in postseason baseball. We haven't been competitive in postseason baseball recently.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
We should've made at least one super regional in the past 10 years. We sit in a hotbed of talent with the built-in advantage of the HOPE scholarship and UGA being in the dumps. We should be a good team.

Instead, we're awful. And I strongly disagree with the 'anything can happen' in postseason baseball. We haven't been competitive in postseason baseball recently.
Have we been swept in the postseason? I mean we took Vandy to a winner takes all game a couple of years ago when they were a national seed. Last year the team got a tough draw and had to go to Gainesville and play a national seed in Florida for the final fame of that regional. We are competitive in the postseason. Hall has also won two ACC titles in the last few years with teams that had no business winning them.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
And about the 'anything can happen in postseason baseball' comment. Here's our postseason history in the last 5 years:

2016: 10-1 loss to UF (non-championship regional game)
2015: 11-0 loss to UVA (ACC play-in game)
2014: 4-2 loss to UW (loser's bracket game in regional)
2013: 7-1 loss to Vandy (regional championship)
2012: 15-3 loss to UF (non-championship regional game)

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Have we been swept in the postseason? I mean we took Vandy to a winner takes all game a couple of years ago when they were a national seed. Last year the team got a tough draw and had to go to Gainesville and play a national seed in Florida for the final fame of that regional. We are competitive in the postseason. Hall has also won two ACC titles in the last few years with teams that had no business winning them.

That's a dumb question. We will never be the #4 seed in a region, so getting swept in the postseason would be especially egregious. And as I posted above, our recent exits in the postseason haven't been competitive. Plus, if you don't want a 'tough draw' and have to go on the road, then play better in the regular season and get some home games. Oh wait- we're 0-fer on our last 3 home regionals, too.

If you want to hang your hat on making Vandy play an extra game back in 2013 only to get waxed in the winner-take-all game, fine. But I think many of us have higher hopes than that.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
And about the 'anything can happen in postseason baseball' comment. Here's our postseason history in the last 5 years:

2016: 10-1 loss to UF (non-championship regional game)
2015: 11-0 loss to UVA (ACC play-in game)
2014: 4-2 loss to UW (loser's bracket game in regional)
2013: 7-1 loss to Vandy (regional championship)
2012: 15-3 loss to UF (non-championship regional game)
Let's take another look at that. UF, Vandy, and UF were national seeds. The UW score was 4-2 which is pretty competitive and UVA was a crappy game ( I concede that one).

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Let's take another look at that. UF, Vandy, and UF were national seeds. The UW score was 4-2 which is pretty competitive and UVA was a crappy game ( I concede that one).

Again, if you don't want to play a regional seed at their place, do better in the regular season. And again, if you want to hang your hat being 'pretty' close to UW in a regional where we had to win 4 games in a row to advance, fine. But don't forget they waxed us 8-0 in game 1.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
That's a dumb question. We will never be the #4 seed in a region, so getting swept in the postseason would be especially egregious. And as I posted above, our recent exits in the postseason haven't been competitive. Plus, if you don't want a 'tough draw' and have to go on the road, then play better in the regular season and get some home games. Oh wait- we're 0-fer on our last 3 home regionals, too.

If you want to hang your hat on making Vandy play an extra game back in 2013 only to get waxed in the winner-take-all game, fine. But I think many of us have higher hopes than that.
I expect us to get to the tournament every year and then anything can happen. I want the team to make it to Omaha every year too, but that is honestly not realistic as only 8 teams out of 300 and something make it to Omaha. We are constantly one of the last 64 teams to play every year and I don't want to throw that away.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I expect us to get to the tournament every year and then anything can happen. I want the team to make it to Omaha every year too, but that is honestly not realistic as only 8 teams out of 300 and something make it to Omaha. We are constantly one of the last 64 teams to play every year and I don't want to throw that away.

We've already thrown it away. We're not close to sniffing the bubble this year. We were on the bubble last year and got bailed out because our AD was on the selection committee. We didn't make the tournament the year before that. If missing 2 out of the last 3 years is 'constantly' being there, I'm not sure there's anything else I can say.

Edit: for example, we were d1baseball's last team in in 2016. We're razor close to not having made the tournament 3 years in a row.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
@Lagrangejacket
I respect and understand what you're saying. I'm tired of seeing this team make an early exit every year. I just don't want to see a coach who has put his all into the program and built it up get fired just because he misses the postseason for only the third time in his 24 year career. Just look at Florida State and Mike Martin. I consider FSU a better baseball program historically than Tech, but Mike Martin built them up. He is still there and the FSU fans are happy even though they haven't won a championship in his time and they aren't going to Omaha every year. I just don't want to throw away a hall of fame coach, that usually comes to bite programs in the butt later (see Texas).

THWG

Helluva Engineer
We've already thrown it away. We're not close to sniffing the bubble this year. We were on the bubble last year and got bailed out because our AD was on the selection committee. We didn't make the tournament the year before that. If missing 2 out of the last 3 years is 'constantly' being there, I'm not sure there's anything else I can say.

Edit: for example, we were d1baseball's last team in in 2016. We're razor close to not having made the tournament 3 years in a row.
North Carolina didn't make it 2 of the last 3 years, yet they didn't fire their coach (I know that he has done more than Hall). Now this year, they are probably going to be the number 2 national seed.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
North Carolina didn't make it 2 of the last 3 years, yet they didn't fire their coach (I know that he has done more than Hall). Now this year, they are probably going to be the number 2 national seed.

You're making ridiculous comparisons. FSU has made a Super Regional 8 of the past 9 years, and made the CWS 3 of those. Before the last 2 years of making the tournament, UNC had made the CWS 6 of the past 9 years.

Danny Hall is not on that level.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
You're making ridiculous comparisons. FSU has made a Super Regional 8 of the past 9 years, and made the CWS 3 of those. Before the last 2 years of making the tournament, UNC had made the CWS 6 of the past 9 years.

Danny Hall is not on that level.
Alright, you know everything, so who would you hire to follow a hall of fame coach that is one of only a handful of active coaches to have over a 1,000 wins?