UCF Revisted

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Look at their ( UFC) schedule again, understand that last year they were 6-7 and the year before 0-12. Who would have pick them to be in the playoffs ? I'm not sure even with 8 team they would have been in the playoff.
Name one other sport with a playoff where an undefeated team that beat a team that beat 2 teams in the playoff would not be in the playoff?

Deleted member 2897

Name one other sport with a playoff where an undefeated team that beat a team that beat 2 teams in the playoff would not be in the playoff?

That's like asking "name one other number that is 1,294,432 but that is not 1,294,432". There is no other sport that plays so few games and also has a playoff.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
First they did not beat that team till their bowl game. So if someone wants to use that than wait till after the bowl games and pick the teams to be in the playoffs. If it was me I would have pick Auburn over UFC after the season ( not the bowl games )

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
First they did not beat that team till their bowl game. So if someone wants to use that than wait till after the bowl games and pick the teams to be in the playoffs. If it was me I would have pick Auburn over UFC after the season ( not the bowl games )
See, there in lies the problem.... picking. There should be no "picking." There should be objective criteria only. Once you start taking folks opinions, you're no better than figure skating or diving.

Deleted member 2897

See, there in lies the problem.... picking. There should be no "picking." There should be objective criteria only. Once you start taking folks opinions, you're no better than figure skating or diving.

Unfortunately there is no way around that and nearly all sports, football included. If you just went off of win loss record, UCF would be ranked #1. If you did a computer formula that incorporated strength of schedule, that would be better, but not perfect - you might still have UCF at the top. If you used in-game statistics, you could get crazy outcomes, like GT getting a better rating than Tennessee despite losing the game.

I think what works best is what we have - a group of people who look at records and strength of schedule and then makes picks. I don't think there is a computer program that would perfect crunch all this stuff, home versus away, weather, margin of victory, etc that you would leave autonomous.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Here's an interesting look:

OFFENSIVE FEI:
Clemson - 18
Oklahoma - 1
Georgia - 3
Alabama - 6
*UCF - 9
*Ohio State - 4

DEFENSIVE FEI:
Clemson - 2
Oklahoma - 61
Georgia - 4
Alabama - 5
*UCF - 20
*Ohio State - 10

TOTAL FEI:
Clemson - 1
Oklahoma - 2
Georgia - 3
Alabama - 5
*UCF - 10
*Ohio State - 6

FEI ratings are fully updated, so it will be interesting to see where UCF stands after their win against Auburn, which is #4 overall in FEI.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I agree about not picking but how would one set the criteria ? And if you could what if only 3 teams hit that criteria who would they name the 4th team. I guess you could say only conference champs could be in the playoffs but how do you know which 4 of the 5 is right ? Just seems no matter what you do there will be picking.

Jmonty71

Banned
Ignoring the fact that ACC already has 14 teams, how would y'all feel about having UCF join the ACC during a conference re-alignment? Great football program on the rise, and I know the Big 12 has shown interest in adding them, because screw geography. ACC already has two Florida teams, which might present a problem. Personally, I would much rather have UCF than Pitt and Syracuse, or hell even Boston college. Hypothetical situation, just wanted to hear some thoughts. Also, UCF has the largest undergrad of any University, so I'm assuming they have an extensive alumni network with several wealthy boosters who could support a Power 5 football upgrade.
UCF and GA Southern. Why not???

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree about not picking but how would one set the criteria ? And if you could what if only 3 teams hit that criteria who would they name the 4th team. I guess you could say only conference champs could be in the playoffs but how do you know which 4 of the 5 is right ? Just seems no matter what you do there will be picking.

You can make it mostly formulaic if you expand to 8 teams, although you could make a formulaic 4 team play-off if you wish.

Assuming you remain at 4 teams just return to the BCS rankings and seed the top 4 against each other.

If you go to 8 teams I would suggest the following system.

1. All P5 champions get in. They won their conference on the field,so they are in.

2. The highest ranked G5 team or a G5 champion as determined by the G5 schools.

3. Two at large bids from the following group of schools.
a. Remaining G5 champions
b. FBS independents
c. FBS division winners P5 and G5 division winners are eligible.
d. Non-division winners who have a better record than the winner of the opposing division in their conference. For instance a 11-1 FSU with a loss only to Clemson would be eligible if the Coastal winner's record was 10-2 or worse.

The committee gets the list of eligible teams, chooses the 2 at larges and seeds them (by some clear criteria such as overall record or BCS ranking). Higher seeds get homefield for the first game week before Christmas. Current Big 6 bowls host Semi-Finals and you bid out the Championship like now.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
If you go to 8 teams I would suggest the following system.

1. All P5 champions get in. They won their conference on the field,so they are in.

And here's the problem with automatic qualification for just being lucky to be in P5, which only leaves only 3 spots of the non-P5 teams. Yes, P5 are big and powerful but on some years, they stink it up and still become conference champs with less than spectacular records. For example, a 2008 VT team had a 9-4 regular season and were ACC champs. Compare that to an undefeated UCF or Boise State or whatever other non-major conf teams people always look down on.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
And here's the problem with automatic qualification for just being lucky to be in P5, which only leaves only 3 spots of the non-P5 teams. Yes, P5 are big and powerful but on some years, they stink it up and still become conference champs with less than spectacular records. For example, a 2008 VT team had a 9-4 regular season and were ACC champs. Compare that to an undefeated UCF or Boise State or whatever other non-major conf teams people always look down on.
Which is why you have an auto bid for the best G5 and two more at large bids. Even in a year where two P5 champions are not great, you'd still cover everyone with a legit claim.