UCF Revisted

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I always thought we'd have trouble with UCF. They were, if you recall, pretty good last year too. Oth, they were no great shakes on D (until the bowl) and didn't play a schedule anywhere near as tough as ours. I had us pegged for a 3 point win, before God (who else would you blame?) intervened. It was early in the year and neither team had cemented tendencies or gained (or lost) confidence.

Oth, if we had played them later in the season and everything else was equal, I think they'd have won. We'll never know.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
UCF to celebrate perfect season with national title banner, parade
UCF athletic director Danny White said Wednesday that the program has decided to claim a national championship and will place a championship banner inside Spectrum Stadium to recognize its undefeated 2017 season.
"If you take the long view of the history of college football, there's an awful lot of national championships being claimed by universities that didn't accomplish what we accomplished this year in those respective seasons, so we feel we're more than justified to claim our first national championship, and we think it'll be the first of many," White told ESPN. "I don't think our kids should be penalized because we weren't respected by the College Football Playoff committee, nor should our program be penalized because we weren't around 20 or 30 years ago when people were claiming national championships left and right.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
One thing I don't understand is the 1942 mutt NC. If you look at the records, they did indeed win it, but now most people outside of Athens say that Ohio State won it. In fact many Tech fans claim that 1980 was their only REAL NC.
I'm surprised that UGAG didn't recognize the 8-1 1927 team as National Champions when there was a Poll that awarded them the National Championship. Similar situation to Tennessee recognizing the 1967 9-2 SEC Championship Team as National Champions because a Poll named them National Champions.

I'm surprised that UGAG didn't recognize the 8-1 1927 team as National Champions when there was a Poll that awarded them the National Championship. Similar situation to Tennessee recognizing the 1967 9-2 SEC Championship Team as National Champions because a Poll named them National Champions.
They probably do claim the 1927 NC, just like they claim the 1957 one based on one obscure poll that gave it to them. IIRC they CLAIM 7 championships, but only 1980 and (I guess) 1942 are valid.