U of Ill-Chicago

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It certainly worked, that's for sure. Data pitched a perfect 9th. I always get nervous when a pitcher who seems to be in a groove is removed, but I concede your point on this one. Plus, as I mentioned, it looks like the conditions favor pitchers today, so maybe some of our guys who might otherwise have trouble will be more effective as long as they throw strikes. (Oops, write too soon..Carpenter gives up a double in the 9th, Ryan comes on. Ryan has been gasoline for us lately. Fingers crossed.)
Defense made some very good plays for them as well which has also been a rarity. This UIC offense reminds me of ours---they like to swing the bat. That definitely helped Curry and Gibson with both pitch count and walks.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
WP by Ryan ends the game...1-0 UIC

That is how our season has gone. That is where our program is these days.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
How is this eveven possible.
I'd rather lose by 25 than 1. There are so many ways to manufacture a run....and we didn't make any of them happen!

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Hey Danny, Ryan is not worth a sh-- anymore. Three blown games by him in the last 10 games. I told my wife whenthe runner reached third,that we w0uld lose on a wild pitch. Also kudos to Bailey on costing us a run in the ninth with stupid base running.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, I watched the second game from like the 4th on.

Gibson very good. Kel made some nice plays at first, especially on a bad throw by Craport.

Bailey's mistake in the lead off hit in the ninth would have given us the lead otherwise. And if we don't see Ryan again this year, that's fine by me. This team isn't going anywhere. We are about as good as UIC who has a 130 RPI.

Update: the good news is we are one game closer to the end of the season. Hope we don't play any more in Chicago this weekend.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Well, I was very very happy with the pitching today, but the team should have won both of those games. Bailey and Ryan cost us that 2nd game. Ryan has been horrendous lately and I hope that Hall moves Carpenter or Datoc into the closer role.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Hey Danny, Ryan is not worth a sh-- anymore. Three blown games by him in the last 10 games. I told my wife whenthe runner reached third,that we w0uld lose on a wild pitch. Also kudos to Bailey on costing us a run in the ninth with stupid base running.

Eh. Yea Ryan threw a wild pitch. But he's not the one who gave up the double to the guy who scored. If you want to play that game you have to put some blame on Carpenter too. I'd blame the offense before either of them though. Can't win if you can't score. But as for Bailey, it's only stupid in hindsight. You're falling into the fallacy of the predetermined outcome.

Bailey's mistake in the lead off hit in the ninth would have given us the lead otherwise.

Same thing I said to @65Jacket. This assumes the inning would have proceeded exactly the same way after Bailey's at-bat if he did something different. You can't just make that assumption.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, I watched the second game from like the 4th on.

Gibson very good. Kel made some nice plays at first, especially on a bad throw by Craport.

Bailey's mistake in the lead off hit in the ninth would have given us the lead otherwise. And if we don't see Ryan again this year, that's fine by me. This team isn't going anywhere. We are about as good as UIC who has a 130 RPI.

Update: the good news is we are one game closer to the end of the season. Hope we don't play any more in Chicago this weekend.

Any opportunity for McCann to block it? Wiley said he tried to backhand it.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Eh. Yea Ryan threw a wild pitch. But he's not the one who gave up the double to the guy who scored. If you want to play that game you have to put some blame on Carpenter too. I'd blame the offense before either of them though. Can't win if you can't score. But as for Bailey, it's only stupid in hindsight. You're falling into the fallacy of the predetermined outcome.

Same thing I said to @65Jacket. This assumes the inning would have proceeded exactly the same way after Bailey's at-bat if he did something different. You can't just make that assumption.
Yes, some of the blame needs to be placed on Carpenter, but he didn't throw that wild pitch. In the case of Bailey, I know that you can't assume the inning will proceed like it did, but in a 0-0 game, you better be 100% sure that you are going to make it to second. Sometimes, you just have to be content with the single and have faith in your teammates.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Ryan's nickname needs to be "gasoline", 'cuz that what he throws on the fire when he gets in the game. Hall's loyalty to him is inexplicable.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Ryan's nickname needs to be "gasoline", 'cuz that what he throws on the fire when he gets in the game. Hall's loyalty to him is inexplicable.
I understand why Hall is loyal to him since he was the best pitcher, by far, the first half of the year, but as I said earlier, he has been horrendous lately. I would rather see Carpenter, Datoc, and Combs get innings to get them some more experience for next year.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Ryan has gone into a funk, whether mental or physical, he has gotten really bad in the last month with his ERA going from the 1's to 3.75 with several losses.

My point is that he's gone at the end of the year and since he isn't producing, it's time to cut way back on his participation. Cold and heartless for him but best for the team, especially next year. But Hall plays his seniors to the end, I call it the "Pitts Syndrome".

Yesterday's loss was a team loss. Not scoring was the biggest problem ..... I didn't like how we continue to go after early pitches against a dominant pitcher. Make him throw a couple to get the pitch count up. I think there was a 6 pitch inning he had. But it's the approach we have and it worked really well in the beginning of the season.

Yesterday, we had phenomenal pitching in both games. Curry is coming on and so is Gibson. Good to see for next year. Hope they go to summer ball in Cape Cod. http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/042817aaa.html

Last edited: