U of Ill-Chicago

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Will they send Curry out to finish this game? Nope. Despite excellent performance, they lift him for Datoc to try to finish this game off. Hope it doesn't backfire.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Very nice performance. Much better than I expected. UIC has some talent. They took 2 of 3 from Vandy early in the year in Nashville (although they were later swept at Mizzou) and swept Northwestern in 3 midweek games. They were 29-9, 16-3 in their league, and a likely NCAA bid if they don't get upset in their conference tourney.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Geez, our hitters are....as usual, absolutely clueless against a guy who throws junk. This UIC pitcher is throwing curves and off speed pitches, and we keep swinging like they are fast balls....grounding out or striking out. Three hits through 7 innings thus far. No runs.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We sit Gibson down...after 7 scoreless innings? And 88 pitches? Is that all he can throw?

Whoof!
Curry and Gibson were incredible today. Gibson hasn't thrown probably more than 55-60 pitches in one outing since the first weekend of the season so he was probably very close to tapping out. Since we didn't use but one reliever for one inning in game 1, this was one call I felt like CDH may have done right.

Let's score some runs!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Oof.....Wade Bailey gets thrown out trying to take second base to start off the 9th...Kel Johnson later doubles (after a walk to Carport) which would have scored Bailey...but no dice. Poke flails away for a K to end the inning, still tied 0-0. Can't win if you can't score. That's how losing teams play baseball.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Gibson hasn't thrown probably more than 55-60 pitches in one outing since the first weekend of the season so he was probably very close to tapping out. Since we didn't use but one reliever for one inning in game 1, this was one call I felt like CDH may have done right.

It certainly worked, that's for sure. Data pitched a perfect 9th. I always get nervous when a pitcher who seems to be in a groove is removed, but I concede your point on this one. Plus, as I mentioned, it looks like the conditions favor pitchers today, so maybe some of our guys who might otherwise have trouble will be more effective as long as they throw strikes. (Oops, write too soon..Carpenter gives up a double in the 9th, Ryan comes on. Ryan has been gasoline for us lately. Fingers crossed.)