Two examples of horrible coaching yesterday.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If he was a dyed in the wool Collins guy, he didn’t have to return this year for a 6th season. He could have walked away with his degree after last year with his head high. There’s no reason to let a productive 6th year player languish on the bench for no reason other than a doghouse. That is particularly true at a position of need. So if true, it really makes me question a coach or two.

A couple of points:

1. This is likely Dontae's last chance to play football. The odds of him playing professionally are small. That drives a lot of players to give it one last ride.

2. RB isn't really a position of need for us. The RBs are fine, it's the OLs run blocking that has been the biggest issue. Correct that and the RBs we've been playing will have a lot more yardage.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of who originally recruited him, he had bought into the Collins culture and nearly transferred out after Collins was replaced. There has been a lot of talk and whispers about Dontae, even before this year. He's a great runner and I really had high hopes for him coming into this season. That hasn't worked out. It isn't the coaching staff's fault that it hasn't worked out. I suppose he could still work his way back into a bigger role, but it's up to him.
Was going to say some things that others covered before I could finish.

Suffice to say I feel sad for Dontae. It’s his last chance, most likely, to play football. Wish it could have worked out differently.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
A couple of points:

1. This is likely Dontae's last chance to play football. The odds of him playing professionally are small. That drives a lot of players to give it one last ride.

2. RB isn't really a position of need for us. The RBs are fine, it's the OLs run blocking that has been the biggest issue. Correct that and the RBs we've been playing will have a lot more yardage.
1. This is true, but he could have also chosen to transfer elsewhere for his last season.

2. Hard disagree on RB being a position of need, but I don't think Dontae is the fix to those problems either. He is basically the same size as Cooley. We desperately need a ~220lb RB that isn't stopped by a handful of jersey or towel.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
2. Hard disagree on RB being a position of need, but I don't think Dontae is the fix to those problems either. He is basically the same size as Cooley. We desperately need a ~220lb RB that isn't stopped by a handful of jersey or towel.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the last 4 games of the season. Jamie Felix hasn't played this season and was a 4* prospect out of HS. He fits more into the mold of power back than Cooley or Smith. He has been more of a developmental project so far, and I have been told that the staff would like this season the be a red shirt year for him. Evan Dickens has been playing mostly special teams (limited carries in the SC State and Ole Miss games) but may get more carries if games get out of hand one way or the other. He's already burned his shirt for this year due to ST play.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Ok take out the 71 yard run. You still get 79 yards on 9 Carries. Again how many read options did he give the ball to the RB. He was very effective running for sure. Could he have run more, of course. Would the runs continue to be as successful, possibly. Would King survive, maybe.

There is a limit to how many hits King can take. See his years at A&M where his seasons ended getting hurt.
I already said that I understand the argument that he was used enough and his yards were sufficient. I am not saying King had a bad day running. I think it was great. I stand by *my personal opinion* that with different play calling he would have had more. He was also clearly gassed near the end of the game, so it it within the realm of possibility that we really did reach some upper limit.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
If he had enough yards to qualify, his 4.7 YPC would rank him 146th in NCAA FB this year. What's very good about that? Also, the fact that he is not very good at blocking has kept him on the sidelines vs Cooley.

As for the rest of your comment, you are actually agreeing with what I said. Without a dynamite runner ahead of him, he's not as dangerous a threat.
You haven’t provided any facts that he’s worse at pass blocking than Cooley. But I’ve provided quantitative data that he is better. Idk how I’m supposed to assume you’re correct!

4.7 YPC is good, come on man. And it’s better than the guy you’re comparing him to. You’re smarter than that.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
You haven’t provided any facts that he’s worse at pass blocking than Cooley. But I’ve provided quantitative data that he is better. Idk how I’m supposed to assume you’re correct!

4.7 YPC is good, come on man. And it’s better than the guy you’re comparing him to. You’re smarter than that.
The “protect the staff from criticism” angle is what dug us such a deep hole with C. It’s as if we never learned from that disaster.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
A couple of points:

I disagree on RBs -if you don't have a big power back you are lacking on 3rd down and RedZ plays.We have trouble in both.Would rather have the better OL but a big RB can help.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I disagree on RBs -if you don't have a big power back you are lacking on 3rd down and RedZ plays.We have trouble in both.Would rather have the better OL but a big RB can help.
Having a middling run-block line makes having a bigger, stronger RB in the backfield even more important.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

I can understand your point but I don't think the issue on short yardage rushing is a RB issue, but an OL issue. We have the RBs to run our offense well if we can just get the blocking sorted out.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Dang our 3rd string RB looked great today! Could have used him against BC or BGSU. Unfortunately it took the 2nd stringer getting dinged up to get this guy in the game!! That was the best RB performance of the season. He’s been healthy for WEEKS??? Who is he?

Yeah, I’m feeling especially good because this performance came at the perfect time to answer a silly debate.

@Augusta_Jacket

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Dang our 3rd string RB looked great today! Could have used him against BC or BGSU. Unfortunately it took the 2nd stringer getting dinged up to get this guy in the game!! That was the best RB performance of the season. He’s been healthy for WEEKS??? Who is he?

Yeah, I’m feeling especially good because this performance came at the perfect time to answer a silly debate.

@Augusta_Jacket
Obviously Key reads GTSwarm and decided to take our advice

CEB

Helluva Engineer
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
We can make whatever we want to make of it.
I choose to believe that valid reasons kept Dontae out of the mix until
tonight. I also believe that ridiculous determination and drive is why Dontae stayed in the game when we HAD to execute. He was incredible in the fourth!!
Finally, if anyone missed Key inside Dontea’s facemask in the fourth quarter, I can assure you there is no personality conflict or animosity. It was 100% pride and gratitude. I don’t know why Dontae hasn’t gotten touches before tonight but I’m pretty certain it’s not the conspiracy theories we’ve seen around here…

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Yeah because that’s just what I insinuated lol. Others on this thread said he just wasn’t as good as the guy in front of him! I’m just glad I was right and Key/Faulker were finally right tonight ;)

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
The only coaching blunder I saw was in the 4th. uncheat subbed on offense late in the play clock and the center judge stood over the ball waiting on a GT sub. None came. Had we subbed, they would have had to burn a time out. As soon a the CJ backed up, the ball was snapped at 2. It could've been bigger than it was.

Thats the only part of the coaching game I questioned. It was a very clean game.

Man we're getting closer to getting back to where we should be.