Two examples of horrible coaching yesterday.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
He is healthy. Key was asked about Dontae in the post game presser last week. This is the end of the question and Keys reply:

Question: …Is he healthy or is there a reason he didn’t get a carry for the rest of the game?

Answer: Yeah, that was later in the game, right? I think it was next to the last drive of the game, he had a carry, uh, yeah, he’s healthy.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
His YPC has been in decline each season since the 2020 campaign as his work load has increased.
This comment is disingenuous and irrelevant at best. Why refer to something as a decline when 1.) the YPC is very good and 2.) is still better than a player in front of him and 3.) is 1/10ths lower than the year before. Really? We’re really referring to him averaging 4.8 YPC last year, 100 more receiving yards than 2021, and more TDs than 2021 as some kind of legit decline? When he had 20 more touches and didn’t have Gibbs in front of him?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
He’s been good in every single circumstance he’s been in. So we don’t know otherwise

That is simply not true. Last year against UNC he had 12 attempts for a total of 16 yards. He has had several dud games over the course of his career here. He's also had some amazing games, although generally against either lesser competition or buoyed by a long run to help pad the YPC stat. He is a dynamic runner when used correctly (as a change of pace back) but it is my opinion that he has proven he is not as effective when he is forced to carry the load.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This comment is disingenuous and irrelevant at best. Why refer to something as a decline when 1.) the YPC is very good and 2.) is still better than a player in front of him and 3.) is 1/10ths lower than the year before. Really? We’re really referring to him averaging 4.8 YPC last year, 100 more receiving yards than 2021, and more TDs than 2021 as some kind of legit decline? When he had 20 more touches and didn’t have Gibbs in front of him?

If he had enough yards to qualify, his 4.7 YPC would rank him 146th in NCAA FB this year. What's very good about that? Also, the fact that he is not very good at blocking has kept him on the sidelines vs Cooley.

As for the rest of your comment, you are actually agreeing with what I said. Without a dynamite runner ahead of him, he's not as dangerous a threat.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
If he had enough yards to qualify, his 4.7 YPC would rank him 146th in NCAA FB this year. What's very good about that? Also, the fact that he is not very good at blocking has kept him on the sidelines vs Cooley.

As for the rest of your comment, you are actually agreeing with what I said. Without a dynamite runner ahead of him, he's not as dangerous a threat.
Hate to see where Cooley ranks at 4.3 ypc. There's a clear case to be made that Haynes is the #1 back, but Dontae is no worse than 2nd best. It's pretty clear he pissed someone off. Poor practice habits, mouthed off to a coach, etc we can only speculate, but it is painful to watch other RBs struggle and we don't even think about putting in a guy that's contributed well for us behind a much less capable OL. When coupled with comments about players not "buying in" and a divided locker room whether those comments were made 4 anyone in particular.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Hate to see where Cooley ranks at 4.3 ypc. There's a clear case to be made that Haynes is the #1 back, but Dontae is no worse than 2nd best. It's pretty clear he pissed someone off. Poor practice habits, mouthed off to a coach, etc we can only speculate, but it is painful to watch other RBs struggle and we don't even think about putting in a guy that's contributed well for us behind a much less capable OL. When coupled with comments about players not "buying in" and a divided locker room whether those comments were made 4 anyone in particular.

Cooley can pass block, which Dontae struggles with, and is a better pass catching back as well. I like Dontae, and I hope he gets some more carries, but there isn't a conspiracy against him.

slugboy

Staff member
Cooley can pass block, which Dontae struggles with, and is a better pass catching back as well. I like Dontae, and I hope he gets some more carries, but there isn't a conspiracy against him.
Haynes leads in rushing. Cooley leads in receiving. I think Haynes is #1 right now. For both of them, my guess is the coaches want a breakaway runner (though it hasn’t happened much yet)

Edit: I looked at the rushing yardage leaders (total yards). The yards per carry varied from 4.2 to over 7 yards per carry, but mostly in the 5+ ypa range. https://www.espn.com/college-footba...hing/table/rushing/sort/rushingYards/dir/desc

Last edited:

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
FYI, the clear answer is someone needs to hand the ball off to King.
I don't know if it's King who doesn't *really* want to be a runner, or that Faulkner doesn't call the plays for him to be, but it seemed like we could have call read option all game against BC. They didn't account for him as a runner at any point during the game. We didn't make them pay much in the grand scheme of things.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if it's King who doesn't *really* want to be a runner, or that Faulkner doesn't call the plays for him to be, but it seemed like we could have call read option all game against BC. They didn't account for him as a runner at any point during the game. We didn't make them pay much in the grand scheme of things.
Curious as to what your definition of making them pay is. King 10 rushes 150 yards and a TD. We have no way of knowing how many handoffs he had the option to keep either. We had 35 run plays.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Curious as to what your definition of making them pay is. King 10 rushes 150 yards and a TD. We have no way of knowing how many handoffs he had the option to keep either. We had 35 run plays.
Almost half those yards and the TD came on one play. I think it could have been much worse. If someone wants to say the offense used him enough, that's fine. I personally think BC was not prepared to handle his legs and we left more on the table.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Almost half those yards and the TD came on one play. I think it could have been much worse. If someone wants to say the offense used him enough, that's fine. I personally think BC was not prepared to handle his legs and we left more on the table.
Ok take out the 71 yard run. You still get 79 yards on 9 Carries. Again how many read options did he give the ball to the RB. He was very effective running for sure. Could he have run more, of course. Would the runs continue to be as successful, possibly. Would King survive, maybe.

There is a limit to how many hits King can take. See his years at A&M where his seasons ended getting hurt.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Our run game plays and the pocket for seem to always be in middle? Sometimes we do pull left guard. to run off right tackle
Some body forgot gibbs is gone

Everyone knows the greatest play is fake run right pass to left end deep.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
What about the fact that we’re not playing one of our best offensive players in Dontae Smith? And Key has now gotten standoffish multiple times when asked about it in press conferences and is making it clear health isn’t an issue. Something smells.
There's a lot more to it than we'll likely ever hear about. Dontae was a "Collins guy" and nearly transferred out after the coaching change. He has struggled in pass protection and there have been grumblings about his effort at times. He's a great runner and I really would like to see more of him, but there are reasons he's not seeing more PT.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
There's a lot more to it than we'll likely ever hear about. Dontae was a "Collins guy" and nearly transferred out after the coaching change. He has struggled in pass protection and there have been grumblings about his effort at times. He's a great runner and I really would like to see more of him, but there are reasons he's not seeing more PT.
Dontae was a CPJ recruit in 2018

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Dontae was a Johnson guy who survived two coaching transitions. He arrived in 2018. He is a 6th year SR along with Jordan Domineck, Jaylon King, and Zamari Walton. He was part of the call that included Charlie Thomas, Juanyeh Thomas, Malachi Carter, Jaquon Griffin, Quez Jackson, TK Chimedza, and Mike Maye. He's been around that long. If he's in a doghouse, someone needs to let the dog out. That is shameful.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Did anyone else observe Dontae sitting by himself on a chair, with no one around, early in the SC State or BG game? I don’t recall which game or maybe both. Helmet on his head, looking down at the ground, including when the offense had the ball.

That is simply an observation that could mean many things, but it’s hard not to tie that to other comments Key has made.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Dontae was a CPJ recruit in 2018
Regardless of who originally recruited him, he had bought into the Collins culture and nearly transferred out after Collins was replaced. There has been a lot of talk and whispers about Dontae, even before this year. He's a great runner and I really had high hopes for him coming into this season. That hasn't worked out. It isn't the coaching staff's fault that it hasn't worked out. I suppose he could still work his way back into a bigger role, but it's up to him.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of who originally recruited him, he had bought into the Collins culture and nearly transferred out after Collins was replaced. There has been a lot of talk and whispers about Dontae, even before this year. He's a great runner and I really had high hopes for him coming into this season. That hasn't worked out. It isn't the coaching staff's fault that it hasn't worked out. I suppose he could still work his way back into a bigger role, but it's up to him.
If he was a dyed in the wool Collins guy, he didn’t have to return this year for a 6th season. He could have walked away with his degree after last year with his head high. There’s no reason to let a productive 6th year player languish on the bench for no reason other than a doghouse. That is particularly true at a position of need. So if true, it really makes me question a coach or two.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I think I agree here…. except for the Collins guy part. I really hope it’s just a case of not getting it done on the field (practice or otherwise). It’s hard to think someone isn’t living up to their potential because they aren’t happy, but it happens all the time. It’s hard to give best effort when other issues are affecting your mindset. Maybe that’s the case, maybe not.

I will say, Dontae was lined up on the opening drives of the opening games in each of the last two seasons, as I recall. Both years he saw his touches get fewer and fewer as the season went on.

Reduced touches started under Collins, too… so let’s not attribute his animosity (if there is animosity) toward Key. Everyone remembers Hall taking most of the snaps about the time Key was taking over the team, but Dontae wasn’t getting his normal touches in the week or two before Collins was let go, so it wasn’t 100% a reaction to Collins’ departure or Key taking over.

Dontae got the nod for the Lville game this year, too. He must’ve been doing things right in the off-season…. I don’t know what changed and I won’t speculate, but it seems to me that if there were personality clashes or issues with the staff, he would not have stayed at Tech and he certainly would not have gotten the first crack at starting RB.