Two examples of horrible coaching yesterday.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Calling a time out to avoid a delay of game when you plan on punting was a worse decision than either of those. Calling goal line against a team like BC isn’t bad, we just didn’t execute. Wasting a time out so you can kick a 19 yard net punt was disgusting.
This is the one that blew my mind. Either run a play or take that penalty to make it easier on the punter to "let it rip".

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
1. I heard in spring and fall that coach key was happy that dontae was coming back and would help. Not so much so far.

2. AE87 has a data set on points per drive , which tracks or mirrors the score.

BAD/GOOD of field position due to BAD/GOOD punting will move the needle

We went from a punter who could flip the field to getting blocked. Then this year we hike to blocker and then use time out for nothing.

3. Then theres the LITTLE THINGS
I am still embarrassed we had a towel tied to rb that WOULDN'T break away so he got tackled after escaping a LB. How does that happen?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
1. I heard in spring and fall that coach key was happy that dontae was coming back and would help. Not so much so far.

2. AE87 has a data set on points per drive , which tracks or mirrors the score.

BAD/GOOD of field position due to BAD/GOOD punting will move the needle

We went from a punter who could flip the field to getting blocked. Then this year we hike to blocker and then use time out for nothing.

3. Then theres the LITTLE THINGS
I am still embarrassed we had a towel tied to rb that WOULDN'T break away so he got tackled after escaping a LB. How does that happen?
I do not believe it was a towel. But that's a good narrative for the haters.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
  1. Player isn’t playing as well as the other guys and fell down the depth chart but the coach doesn’t want to throw him under the bus
  2. The coaches are confused by what they see every day, but we have a better read from just seeing the players on Saturdays
  3. The player has been asked to do some things, and isn’t doing them, so they aren’t playing
  4. Coaches play their favorites
I would put my bet on (2)
So he gets one token carry in which he gains 11 yards running over two people, then goes back to the bench. And that after a number of stellar performances in the past.
I just don't think the riddle is solved. Don't get me wrong, I like Brent. But not playing Dontae remains a head scratcher for me.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's another theory. Maybe he has had an undisclosed injury or sickness that has largely kept him out of games.

I think that was even mentioned in one of the last couple of games by the announcing crew that he was working his way back from injury.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Here's another theory. Maybe he has had an undisclosed injury or sickness that has largely kept him out of games.

I think that was even mentioned in one of the last couple of games by the announcing crew that he was working his way back from injury.
Maybe. But what I can't get is why an injury like that would allow him to run the ball once, but no more, and how he could run over two people in the process with his "injury". Just doesn't seem right.
If he's injured, why is he in there in the first place? And if he's sub-par, how can he look to be the picture of health happily running over people? Everybody's looking for a reason and trying to make sense of this, but none of the reasons stand up to scrutiny, IMO.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Maybe. But what I can't get is why an injury like that would allow him to run the ball once, but no more, and how he could run over two people in the process with his "injury". Just doesn't seem right.
If he's injured, why is he in there in the first place? And if he's sub-par, how can he look to be the picture of health happily running over people? Everybody's looking for a reason and trying to make sense of this, but none of the reasons stand up to scrutiny, IMO.
He ran once in an obvious passing situation when we were down 15 points with less than seven minutes left in the 4th quarter. The next play was an interception. It was also our last offensive play. What exactly is your complaint? When was he supposed to get more touches after that run?

gt6776c

Georgia Tech Fan
Totally agree that the Dontae situation is baffling. Based on what he had showed in the past years, I expected him to be a workhorse and possibly contend for All-ACC this year. I don't think a kid that opted to stay at GT when every other RB was bailing (Gibbs, Griffin, etc) would not want to give 100% on the field especially for his last season. Makes no sense that he has gotten mop up duty in last two games especially when we have been struggling to run the football.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
He ran once in an obvious passing situation when we were down 15 points with less than seven minutes left in the 4th quarter. The next play was an interception. It was also our last offensive play. What exactly is your complaint? When was he supposed to get more touches after that run?
Uh huh. But the question is, why wasn't he in there before? Why is he only getting one carry? I guess we'll see him a lot more against UNC, right? I mean, if we want to move some people out of the way and get some first downs on the ground, that is.

slugboy

Staff member
Of the RBs, Haynes is the most productive runner and Cooley is the most productive receiver on a per-play basis.

FYI, the clear answer is someone needs to hand the ball off to King.

RushRushRushRushReceReceReceRece
RkPlayerGAttYdsAvgTDRecYdsAvgTD
1Jamal Haynes7844655.54131229.40
2Trevion Cooley7622664.331010610.61
3Haynes King7613726.13
4Dontae Smith513614.702168.00
5Evan Dickens68324.00155.00
6Zach Pyron2200.00
7Christian Leary71-3-3.001724114.22

Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 10/24/2023.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Of the RBs, Haynes is the most productive runner and Cooley is the most productive receiver on a per-play basis.

FYI, the clear answer is someone needs to hand the ball off to King.

RushRushRushRushReceReceReceRece
RkPlayerGAttYdsAvgTDRecYdsAvgTD
1Jamal Haynes7844655.54131229.40
2Trevion Cooley7622664.331010610.61
3Haynes King7613726.13
4Dontae Smith513614.702168.00
5Evan Dickens68324.00155.00
6Zach Pyron2200.00
7Christian Leary71-3-3.001724114.22

Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 10/24/2023.
Dontae's limited playing time this year is not enough to evaluate, especially in light of his previous success playing behind a weak offensive line in years past. He needs to be on the field.
The OL is considerably better than last year and was better then than the year before.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

I'd swear I heard that too.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This is the one that blew my mind. Either run a play or take that penalty to make it easier on the punter to "let it rip".
I honestly believe we were going to run a play but somebody (King?) was indicating confusion. Rather than turn the ball over on a blown play we called TO to get the player’s acts together. Having lost the element of surprise, and the players not showing a lot of confidence in what they were doing, it made sense to punt at that point.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Dontae Smith is an excellent change of pace back when you have a bruiser in the game ahead of him. Last year as the primary backup to Hall he wasn't nearly as dynamic as when he was the RB3 option coming in to gas opponents late. He averaged 4.8 yards per carry, which is slightly better than his 4.7 yards per carry this year. When spelling Gibbs he was a lot more dynamic but he was also featured on fewer carries. His YPC has been in decline each season since the 2020 campaign as his work load has increased.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Dontae Smith is an excellent change of pace back when you have a bruiser in the game ahead of him. Last year as the primary backup to Hall he wasn't nearly as dynamic as when he was the RB3 option coming in to gas opponents late. He averaged 4.8 yards per carry, which is slightly better than his 4.7 yards per carry this year. When spelling Gibbs he was a lot more dynamic but he was also featured on fewer carries. His YPC has been in decline each season since the 2020 campaign as his work load has increased.

This is kinda my thinking. Unfortunately none of our guys are bruisers (imo).

He was good when Mason was wearing down guys.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Uh huh. But the question is, why wasn't he in there before? Why is he only getting one carry? I guess we'll see him a lot more against UNC, right? I mean, if we want to move some people out of the way and get some first downs on the ground, that is.
I was merely responding to your posts where you seemed to complain he never got another carry after his 11 yard run by reminding you that no one has had a carry since his 11 yard run.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I honestly believe we were going to run a play but somebody (King?) was indicating confusion. Rather than turn the ball over on a blown play we called TO to get the player’s acts together. Having lost the element of surprise, and the players not showing a lot of confidence in what they were doing, it made sense to punt at that point.
That’s what I thought from the stands. But then again, I’m not very smart, so don’t rely on my interpretation.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer

Key has been saying he’s been fully healthy for weeks.