Turnovers and Special Teams

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with all of this except that we are not going to a bowl. This team will be fortunate to win four or five games. We do not look like a good football team. It has been a long time since I have seen a Tech team that churns up yards both rushing and passing but doesn't score. I think we really miss Jordan in the red zone.

good thing is this year is you dont have to win any games to go to a bowl. all teams are eligible regardless of their record. altho, that doesnt mean everyone will get selected

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I would like someone who knows QB's to tell me why through 3 games, Sims has had at least 4 interceptions due to tipped balls. Is there something he's doing that contributes to the DL being able to get their mitts up to block the pass? There has to be a reason. Tipped balls are bad breaks, unless they're not. DL are taught to get their hands up when the QB starts his throwing motion. Does Sims just not see these guys right in front of him?

I'm not being critical of Sims or the play-calling. I'm legitimately asking if there's a reason we've had so many tipped passes.

I only remember 1 due to a tipped pass. There was one against UCF. The other against UCF looked like a player just dropped into the check down passing lane and Sims didn't recognize it. Don't believe it was tipped. Of the 4 today, two were clear not tips to me, and the other two were defenders hitting his arm before he finished the throw. I guess that's what you mean. The one tip against UCF that led to an INT was a great play by the defender. That's going to happen some times especially if you're trying to zip the ball. The two today were just bad blocking breakdowns by the looks of it.

techfan#14

Jolly Good Fellow
I am not very pleased with special teams. Besides Gibbs making someone miss and go for 75 we are not blocking very well IMO. There is not much to say about the kick game besides something needs to change quick. We are absolutely beating ourselves with penalties and turnovers. The INTs have got to be cut in half minimum. Not sure how u do this but it seemed like Syracuse sent most of their pressure up the middle and we did not have an answer for that. We need go get certain elements of this offense included in the game plan ex. Brown. I like everyone one of our running backs. But I am totally underwhelmed by our secondary.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know who has worst special teams, GT or the Atlanta Falcons. LMAO

Honestly, I would be shocked if we have the same special teams coach by the end of the year.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I would like someone who knows QB's to tell me why through 3 games, Sims has had at least 4 interceptions due to tipped balls. Is there something he's doing that contributes to the DL being able to get their mitts up to block the pass? There has to be a reason. Tipped balls are bad breaks, unless they're not. DL are taught to get their hands up when the QB starts his throwing motion. Does Sims just not see these guys right in front of him?

I'm not being critical of Sims or the play-calling. I'm legitimately asking if there's a reason we've had so many tipped passes.

Because they were two short throw over the middle which is some what easier to bat, the DL couldn’t get pressure and got their hands up like DL are taught to do.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Louisiana hit a 53 yarder to beat Georgia Southern today. Tech can’t make a field goal at all. Got to be the worst in college football on any level

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
We can't get the ball past the line of scrimmage. We must be nearing the record for having the most kicks blocked in a season.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'm all for dancing gracefully around the miscues and weaknesses of our individual players. But I think it's also unfair to lay all of those misgivings solely at the feet of the coaches. The coaches are not calling "the fumble play".

Yes, 5 turnovers are the sign of a bad team. In our case it's likely due to a young, developing team. And much of that will get corrected either by way of player improvement or new players given a chance.

I said it in the write-up and I've said it here over the last decade. Winning college football games often comes down to turnovers and special teams. You cannot be a good team "except for the turnovers". You cannot be a good team "except for our special teams play".

Much like the Beamer ball, conservative offense years at VT, you can be really successful in college ball once you take care of those things. We really need to figure it out this year to have a chance at a bowl. Game experience and reps help, and given our roster make-up that means there are reasons for hope/optimism that we can sort those things out. This year might be too soon to get us over the hump, but it'd sure be nice to see continued improvement.
Rather than start a new thread on the topic, I decided to bump my original from three years ago. While turnovers and special teams were not as dire this past Saturday compared to when I originally posted, the premise still stands.

Our two turnovers on Saturday directly led to points for Louisville and/or took likely points off the board. Combined with one missed FG (the makable one), it’s very easy to see how three plays add up and led to the L.

When we take care of business in these two areas, regardless of what’s happening elsewhere, we have a great chance to win in games where one team cannot simply overpower the other.