Turnovers and Special Teams

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'm all for dancing gracefully around the miscues and weaknesses of our individual players. But I think it's also unfair to lay all of those misgivings solely at the feet of the coaches. The coaches are not calling "the fumble play".

Yes, 5 turnovers are the sign of a bad team. In our case it's likely due to a young, developing team. And much of that will get corrected either by way of player improvement or new players given a chance.

I said it in the write-up and I've said it here over the last decade. Winning college football games often comes down to turnovers and special teams. You cannot be a good team "except for the turnovers". You cannot be a good team "except for our special teams play".

Much like the Beamer ball, conservative offense years at VT, you can be really successful in college ball once you take care of those things. We really need to figure it out this year to have a chance at a bowl. Game experience and reps help, and given our roster make-up that means there are reasons for hope/optimism that we can sort those things out. This year might be too soon to get us over the hump, but it'd sure be nice to see continued improvement.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm all for dancing gracefully around the miscues and weaknesses of our individual players. But I think it's also unfair to lay all of those misgivings solely at the feet of the coaches. The coaches are not calling "the fumble play".

Yes, 5 turnovers are the sign of a bad team. In our case it's likely due to a young, developing team. And much of that will get corrected either by way of player improvement or new players given a chance.

I said it in the write-up and I've said it here over the last decade. Winning college football games often comes down to turnovers and special teams. You cannot be a good team "except for the turnovers". You cannot be a good team "except for our special teams play".

Much like the Beamer ball, conservative offense years at VT, you can be really successful in college ball once you take care of those things. We really need to figure it out this year to have a chance at a bowl. Game experience and reps help, and given our roster make-up that means there are reasons for hope/optimism that we can sort those things out. This year might be too soon to get us over the hump, but it'd sure be nice to see continued improvement.
Good analysis

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Very true. The five turnovers were all committed by sophomores and freshmen. That should tell us that (1) they will get better, and (2) the rough times might continue this year if the young guns don't improve quickly. We are depending on a LOT of young players.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

Cuse, I know it's not on topic here, but are you planning to add the post game interviews to the football forum? Thanks.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
How do you not blame the coaches for our FG attempts? The coaches are making the decision to try to kick a FG when we know we can not do that.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
How do you not blame the coaches for our FG attempts? The coaches are making the decision to try to kick a FG when we know we can not do that.

I think it is like everything else. we probably look good at it in practice, just like I do at the golf course when I am on the range hitting balls. It's easy to look good when it don't mean anything. Coaches must have thought that the FSU game was one off. i hate it if we are stuck where CPJ was, going for it on 4th down all the time because we didn't trust we could make a 30 yard FG. That just puts a ton of pressure on a team when they think they have to score 7 everytime they touch the ball. We have lived that life for 10+ years now.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
It doesn't matter what we look like in practice, when it comes time to play we can't kick a FG. That should help the offense knowing they get 4 downs to get 10 yards instead of 3.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
It kinda does matter what it look like in practice. That’s the only simulation you have of a FG attempt

No we have real world data to back it up. Like all simulations they are not 100% accurate. We have proven that our FG unit does not have what it takes to kick a FG right now. Its insane to continue to change the attitude of the game because "he looked good in practice".

I am a coach myself. I understand some kids look like world beaters in practice and suck it up when it comes time to play. I have also kids who only shine when the pressure is on. Right now were dealing with the first kind of player.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
No we have real world data to back it up. Like all simulations they are not 100% accurate. We have proven that our FG unit does not have what it takes to kick a FG right now. Its insane to continue to change the attitude of the game because "he looked good in practice".

I am a coach myself. I understand some kids look like world beaters in practice and suck it up when it comes time to play. I have also kids who only shine when the pressure is on. Right now were dealing with the first kind of player.

So if practice doesn't matter, how will you know when it is safe to try a FG again? Just never try it again for the rest of the year? Lol

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

And so we changed the kicker after the miss. So what is your complaint about the coaches? And don't forget, he hit his previous attempt, a game winner at FSU.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Wasn’t the first situation 4th and 9 from dead center at the 13 yard line? If we had hit it you wouldn’t question the call.
And I’m pretty sure they went for it(and failed) in the same situation later in the game. So they did as you hoped too.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think it is like everything else. we probably look good at it in practice, just like I do at the golf course when I am on the range hitting balls. It's easy to look good when it don't mean anything. Coaches must have thought that the FSU game was one off. i hate it if we are stuck where CPJ was, going for it on 4th down all the time because we didn't trust we could make a 30 yard FG. That just puts a ton of pressure on a team when they think they have to score 7 everytime they touch the ball. We have lived that life for 10+ years now.
CPJ had Butker for much of his tenure. He also is responsible for bringing in Percy.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yes, of course. Butker was indeed a welcome respite for our recurring ST issues. As is Percy. No disrespect meant here.

Deleted member 2897

Jude’s challenges are infinitely easier to fix than previous kickers. He’s making good solid contact hitting the ball down the middle. He just needs to strike a bit quicker and get loft on the ball. In past years our kickers would hit crazy knuckling balls and all kinds of other trash. We should be fine in the kicking game.