Triple Option

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Once again the problem and reason Tech was the only one to do it is because there is only one Paul Johnson. There’s a reason Kansas or someone like a Duke have never taken a shot on anyone else.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Huh? There are some folks here that really like the TO, me included, but what we are really into is winning. I’m a Tech fan first, coach/scheme fan second. I was actually okay with hiring a new coach with a new scheme simply because I felt like most people don’t like watching the TO and I think it hurt attendance, the rule change which seemed to be aimed at the TO, and top-shelf recruits didn’t seem interested in the TO. Me…I’m just not interested in winning 3 out of every 10 games.

My question is, and still remains, “How long can we expect this transition to last?” Collins already has the worst back-to-back seasons since 1987-1988 and I’m hoping to avoid the worst three season stretch since 1986-1988 but it’s not looking good.
Don't know how many noticed but Clemson, struggling for an offense with a QB with his own set of problems, actually ran a triple option against BC. Ugly, but it got a few yards and made BC back off some.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Once again the problem and reason Tech was the only one to do it is because there is only one Paul Johnson. There’s a reason Kansas or someone like a Duke have never taken a shot on anyone else.
This. Plus the last two + years we have had. The accepted wisdom is that the transition afterwards is too hard. Whether or not you believe that to be true, we are reinforcing the old stereotype.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
This. Plus the last two + years we have had. The accepted wisdom is that the transition afterwards is too hard. Whether or not you believe that to be true, we are reinforcing the old stereotype.
Most Tech fans bellyache about academics being the biggest negative recruiting obstacle at Tech, but During Paul Johnsons tenure (especially the last 5 years), the negative recruiting had shifted from academics to playing/practicing against the TO.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Most Tech fans bellyache about academics being the biggest negative recruiting obstacle at Tech, but During Paul Johnsons tenure (especially the last 5 years), the negative recruiting had shifted from academics to playing/practicing against the TO.
Almost. The negative recruiting had shifted to our own fanbase blasting the fact that our own defense had to practice against the TO.

I can’t recall…how did our fanbase negative-recruit against our program before Johnson? Musta been something, because it seems to be a Tech Tradition.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
FTR, watching this game, right here was what made an impression on a teenaged ILTO.

There was SOOOO much going on that I didn't know how to follow yet. When Johnson came to Navy, and I got to watch more of it (because it was on local channels (benefits of being a DC guy)), I was hooked.

PJ used to tell me that when he was at Hawaii, there were times the offense would come to the line of scrimmage and look at the defense and just start laughing, telling the defense, 'you're not going to stop this" before the snap. They'd even tell the opposing D "we're running this play and we're running right here and you're not stopping it."

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Plus he had some talented kids that left the program. Don’t know much about the details.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Plus he had some talented kids that left the program. Don’t know much about the details.
A lot of times we faced some academic attrition. Rememebr Trey KLock didn't get into our MBA program and had to transfer to Northwestern(!). We definitely had some kids that decided tech wasn't for them and transfer out. Then we have a VAD who just didn't like getting hit. Most of our defensive transfers were due to PT. Which will eventually happen under collins once we get older. Its easy to promise PT when you don't have anyone up there.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Don't know how many noticed but Clemson, struggling for an offense with a QB with his own set of problems, actually ran a triple option against BC. Ugly, but it got a few yards and made BC back off some.
Do you remember what formation they ran it out of?

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
A lot of times we faced some academic attrition. Rememebr Trey KLock didn't get into our MBA program and had to transfer to Northwestern(!). We definitely had some kids that decided tech wasn't for them and transfer out. Then we have a VAD who just didn't like getting hit. Most of our defensive transfers were due to PT. Which will eventually happen under collins once we get older. Its easy to promise PT when you don't have anyone up there.
yeah, my point was even if Paul Johnson was the best recruiter in the world, he had everyone negative recruiting against him due primarily to his offense. People want to rag on him about not focusing on recruiting - I don't think that was the case. Then, when you add academics into the equation (which has traditionally been the major hurdle at Tech), you have a recipe for less than stellar recruiting classes. I'm not making excuses for him, I'm just staying that was part of the entire Paul Johnson package.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
yeah, my point was even if Paul Johnson was the best recruiter in the world, he had everyone negative recruiting against him due primarily to his offense. People want to rag on him about not focusing on recruiting - I don't think that was the case. Then, when you add academics into the equation (which has traditionally been the major hurdle at Tech), you have a recipe for less than stellar recruiting classes. I'm not making excuses for him, I'm just staying that was part of the entire Paul Johnson package.
I think if johnson had the resources cutcliffe had at duek we'd haev consistently recruited aroudn 40. Which with johnson probably would have been enough for 9 wins on the average with spikes every 4 years or so

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
I think if johnson had the resources cutcliffe had at duek we'd haev consistently recruited aroudn 40. Which with johnson probably would have been enough for 9 wins on the average with spikes every 4 years or so
Perhaps, but I'm not so sure. It definitely wouldn't have hurt. This is purely anecdotal, but the last few years several people made comments to me about why their nephew/son/neighbor wasn't interested in going to Tech because of playing/practicing against the TO. No one was saying, man the academics are tough at Tech.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps, but I'm not so sure. It definitely wouldn't have hurt. This is purely anecdotal, but the last few years several people made comments to me about why their nephew/son/neighbor wasn't interested in going to Tech because of playing/practicing against the TO. No one was saying, man the academics are tough at Tech.
The academics piece is interesting to me. When I was there, I think it was easier to get in than it is now but quite a few didn’t get out. Now it seems like it is harder to get in but the overwhelming majority of those who get in get out. I’m guessing that this is because many more people recognize Tech as a top academic institution than when I was there and admissions is much more competitive and those accepted are brainiacs. I really wouldn’t think the rigor has decreased.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Do you remember what formation they ran it out of?
I believe it started out as zone read to the right with the with a running back trailing way too far back and way too far outside the QB; almost like they had never run it before and had just put it in. Which I betcha is true. But it was exciting to see the behemoth QB actually trying to handle the ball.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The academics piece is interesting to me. When I was there, I think it was easier to get in than it is now but quite a few didn’t get out. Now it seems like it is harder to get in but the overwhelming majority of those who get in get out. I’m guessing that this is because many more people recognize Tech as a top academic institution than when I was there and admissions is much more competitive and those accepted are brainiacs. I really wouldn’t think the rigor has decreased.
One reason is that national rankings include retention rates. When I entered only about 2/3 of entering freshmen actually graduated and most were on the 5 year plan.

slugboy

Staff member
One reason is that national rankings include retention rates. When I entered only about 2/3 of entering freshmen actually graduated and most were on the 5 year plan.
This goes a little off topic, but when Crecine was president, he looked at the “weed out” practice and weighed it against the quality of our graduates and the service to our students. His belief was that some professors were just washing their hands of responsibility to teach students because they thought 1] the grading curve handled deciding who had learned and who hadn’t and 2] if the students were self-starters they would learn the material for tests no matter how badly the course was taught. Therefore, how much a student actually remembered after their course wasn’t their fault—it was the student’s. It’s not fair to put all the responsibility on the professors, but we do a better job teaching now than we did then.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

It was a two edge sword if johnson has the resources of cut he'd be able to find those that were interested. Do better analysis etc and get the ones he could get. If he was winning 9-10 wins a year and consistently putign receivers and slotbacks into the pros i doubt that negative recruiting works.