Triple Option

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It was a two edge sword if johnson has the resources of cut he'd be able to find those that were interested. Do better analysis etc and get the ones he could get. If he was winning 9-10 wins a year and consistently putign receivers and slotbacks into the pros i doubt that negative recruiting works.

While I tend to agree with you, that's all speculation at this point. I'm just thrilled we are finally putting some money into our football program again.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
This goes a little off topic, but when Crecine was president, he looked at the “weed out” practice and weighed it against the quality of our graduates and the service to our students. His belief was that some professors were just washing their hands of responsibility to teach students because they thought 1] the grading curve handled deciding who had learned and who hadn’t and 2] if the students were self-starters they would learn the material for tests no matter how badly the course was taught. Therefore, how much a student actually remembered after their course wasn’t their fault—it was the student’s. It’s not fair to put all the responsibility on the professors, but we do a better job teaching now than we did then.
"Teaching" in the 1960's was practically non existent FR-So. Very few professors (actually mostly grad students) who even tried to teach. They could however devise a really hard test. There was a real difference between FR-So vs Jr-Sr. Learning occurred in your major and otherwise was just survival.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
This is what GT fans don't really care to think about. No coach since Dodd has sustained elite success at GT. Maybe Ross could have if he stayed. We will never know. GOL had one great and a couple of good years then left. Maybe he could have eventually gotten a NC had he stayed at GT, but I'm not sold on that. CPJ had more highs than any coach since Dodd, though not a single high like Ross did, but never could sustain excellence either. The simple fact is that GT, even under Dodd, hasn't really sustained excellence since the mid-50's. Under O'Leary we had a 5 year run of top 25 seasons, but only one of those seasons was truly elite. At some point we need to dig beyond coaches and schemes and figure out why we can't seem to get over the hump.
I try to avoid even mentioning Dodd during these discussions. Most people can’t relate to a Coach and time when 15 -18 players were used in a game. His greatest success came during single platoon football and certainly wasn’t the same after. I’m just old enough to have been born during his 8 year run on the DWAGGS.
As far as the rest goes, I think Ross could have been super successful long term. His staff was amazing. He had great recruiters and two excellent coordinators.
Fast forward, I am sure we will have to catch magic in a bottle to start that run. Maybe, stringing top 25 recruiting classes together and using the portal will be part of the equation. Maybe we will keep the kids in the 404 . I do believe that our picture and needed direction will become crystal clear in two years.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I try to avoid even mentioning Dodd during these discussions. Most people can’t relate to a Coach and time when 15 -18 players were used in a game. His greatest success came during single platoon football and certainly wasn’t the same after. I’m just old enough to have been born during his 8 year run on the DWAGGS.
As far as the rest goes, I think Ross could have been super successful long term. His staff was amazing. He had great recruiters and two excellent coordinators.
Fast forward, I am sure we will have to catch magic in a bottle to start that run. Maybe, stringing top 25 recruiting classes together and using the portal will be part of the equation. Maybe we will keep the kids in the 404 . I do believe that our picture and needed direction will become crystal clear in two years.
I’ve talked to a several insiders during the Dodd years. He could get a pretty good team recruiting schools like Boys High out of Atlanta.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
I think posts referencing coaches from 30+ years ago are misguided (not to mention coaches from 60+ years ago). Most everything in college football is very different now. I actually think it's kind of embarrassing saying, Bobby Dodd this, Bobby Dodd that in reference to today's game. It would be similar to Notre Dame fans saying, but what would Knute Rockne do.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I think posts referencing coaches from 30+ years ago are misguided (not to mention coaches from 60+ years ago). Most everything in college football is very different now. I actually think it's kind of embarrassing saying, Bobby Dodd this, Bobby Dodd that in reference to today's game. It would be similar to Notre Dame fans saying, but what would Knute Rockne do.
I like the history lessons myself. Even though our history might not be completely relevant to current college football at GT, some of it is. Not to mention, it’s nice hearing about the times when Tech football wasn’t a dumpster fire or, even better, when Tech football was a dumpster fire but we made it out.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
I like the history lessons myself. Even though our history might not be completely relevant to current college football at GT, some of it is. Not to mention, it’s nice hearing about the times when Tech football wasn’t a dumpster fire or, even better, when Tech football was a dumpster fire but we made it out.
I like the history lessons. I just think people using coaches from 60+ years ago as evidence to support their position is silly.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It does if you are completely changing things. Stoops embraced the run an shoot concepts the receivers already knew and just got a QB that could throw intermediate routes. And he didn't abandoned what the line was designed to do.
Of our last 9 completions 5 were to us and 4 to them.
At the end the scheme would not work without a warrior rb at qb. Our blocking wr did not get enough separation for the rb/qb to complete throws.

When OU qb Josh H returned to OU as a coach my son worked for him. He says JH is genius at modern offensive.

slugboy

Staff member
It’s strange looking at Hawaii and thinking that, with one exception at QB, we didn’t distribute the ball to multiple receivers much in the passing game. Hawaii did
If we’d played more like the Hawaii offense, I think CPJ would have dampened the recruiting FUD

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Of our last 9 completions 5 were to us and 4 to them.
At the end the scheme would not work without a warrior rb at qb. Our blocking wr did not get enough separation for the rb/qb to complete throws.

When OU qb Josh H returned to OU as a coach my son worked for him. He says JH is genius at modern offensive.

That stat doesn't really mean much given how run heavy we were and a lot of throws happened in desperation.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Actually, Leahy was coach at Notre Dame when Dodd became coach at Tech.

☠CaptainBuzz☠

Jolly Good Fellow
Most Tech fans bellyache about academics being the biggest negative recruiting obstacle at Tech, but During Paul Johnsons tenure (especially the last 5 years), the negative recruiting had shifted from academics to playing/practicing against the TO.
I agree, and I love TO football.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Don’t think that players playing both ways was the reason for Dodd’s success. 😊

I was interested to learn that “platoon” football had its origins as early as 1933 and saw an early surge in the 1940s (hence the military term of platoon). The NCAA, bless their hearts, kept changing substitution rules to get rid of it, but Paul Deitzel at LSU was famous for his platoon system beginning in 1958. Apparently, by 1964 “everybody” was using a platoon system of some kind and the NCAA liberalized substitution rules for good.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ve talked to a several insiders during the Dodd years. He could get a pretty good team recruiting schools like Boys High out of Atlanta.
He certainly did. His run in the early 50s was very much supported by Boys High (actually Grady High after 1947) and old Tech High. Maybe history will repeat itself and he started the 404 concept!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Some of you may enjoy this

Roddy is loving announcing this game. You can tell he’s got a fondness for the 3O style of offense.

On the broadcast they showed highlights of his game vs UGA in ‘08. Not sure who his broadcast partner is, but that guy absolutely couldn’t believe Georgia Tech beat Georgia when they had Stafford, Moreno, and A.J. Green. He made it seem like it was App State beating Michigan. Just made me realize how far off the face of the earth GT football has fallen, and how large of a pedestal UGA is now on :(