Travis Custis and Jonathan Dwyer

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. Look at his running form, a pretty thing to watch.
If Snoddy takes that pitch instead of Allen, he makes that play look even better. No one gets within 10 yards of him. That play is more a testament to perfect blocking and execution that anything else. Oh, and how not to play us on defense.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
If Snoddy takes that pitch instead of Allen, he makes that play look even better. No one gets within 10 yards of him. That play is more a testament to perfect blocking and execution that anything else. Oh, and how not to play us on defense.

What? Im not talking about his speed or blocking or anything like that.

Just look at Allen by himself running...look at his arms. His form is perfect on that play. Exactly how a RB is taught to run.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
What? Im not talking about his speed or blocking or anything like that.

Just look at Allen by himself running...look at his arms. His form is perfect on that play. Exactly how a RB is taught to run.
Ok, I agree, he has great running form and that play shows it. Imo, other runs on film show other, more important, assets.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Ant was so fun to watch.
JD was a better BB and has some fantastic highlights, I always loved seeing AA blast into dudes, shoulder down, obviously enjoying the contact.

Dwyer was a track guy, and got down as low as 4.37 at one point. Custis has a great burst, but not sustained speed. What set Dwyer apart was that he had great form at top speed. Most rb's can't hold their form at top speed. Custis seemed to break down at 20 yds when I saw him, much like Choice did. Rb's can be plenty successful with the tools that Custis has. Just wouldn't compare him to Dwyer.

Remember when the graphic of how many 20+ yard plays we had would flash on the screen? I think in 2009 we had more than fifty runs from scrimmage of 20 yards or more. (Sigh).

Dwyer had great speed in the open field, he just had another gear. I thought he had great vision as well past the LOS...just look at his highlights against UGA as an example.

Dwyer was 2nd in the state in the 100 meter in the largest classification.

Let's not take away from what Dwyer did while at GT because some of you disagree with his views on the current staff after he left the school. The guy certainly should handle it better, but it doesn't mean he wasn't a pretty accomplished player here.

His cutting ability was in the "ankle-breaker" category. He was definitely a great player.

jeagt

Georgia Tech Fan
When I think of AA I think balance, strength, vision, instincts, power, speed - all rolled into one. He is underappreciated by Tech fans and mainly because he was here the same time as JD.

Watch this. He is easily the second best back we've ever had under CPJ and he's much closer to Dwyer in that ranking than he is to whomever is #3.

I would love for Custis to become another Ant. We don't need another Dwyer for the O to effective (not that I wouldn't take one in a heartbeat) we need another Ant and there should be plenty of backs of his quality out there.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I would love for Custis to become another Ant. We don't need another Dwyer for the O to effective (not that I wouldn't take one in a heartbeat) we need another Ant and there should be plenty of backs of his quality out there.
I would love another Ant, too, but to say there are "plenty backs of his quality out there" is a little bit of a reach. He's an NFL player and was highly recruited out of high school. If
That was a near perfect pitch from Nesbitt too... Man I miss those days.
There's so many things that happen in that play that I miss:

1. Perfect pitch by Nesbitt
2. Perfect read by Nesbitt (the DE take the dive so Nesbitt pulls from the mesh)
3. Nesbitt attacks the pitch key and makes him commit - imagine that?
4. Pitch relationship is perfect
5. Bay Bay makes a perfect seal block on the playside safety
6. playside OT makes a perfect seal block on the backside safety
7. playside OG makes a perfect block on the MLB
8. playside Aback makes an adequate block on the playside corner
9. AA outruns the backside corner

Oddly enough, the outside linebacker (playside), who was the unblocked pitch key, never gave up on the play closed and nearly made up a 5 yard, running head start by Allen.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
From looking at Custis's film, he will be more (much more) Ant than Dwyer. I'll take an Ant at BB any day.

Dwyer is the BB unicorn. Not sure CPJ will get one of those again while he's at GT.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One of the things I will always remember about AA the most is how nifty his feet were for a big guy. He would make people miss with the slightest of shuffles. He wasn't the classic stomp your foot in the ground and accelerate out of a drastic cut like Dwyer was, but he got a lot of extra yards too.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Your comment immediately made me go to the 2009 UGA highlight film:

1:14 mark. GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!

Unfortunately, he forgot that sometimes it's better to put your head down and get what you can straight ahead. The best backs in history, outside Barry Sanders, were willing and able to do both.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
From looking at Custis's film, he will be more (much more) Ant than Dwyer. I'll take an Ant at BB any day.

Dwyer is the BB unicorn. Not sure CPJ will get one of those again while he's at GT.

We were close with Shai McKenzie. Well he had the speed.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I don't think Custis will have the smae top-end speed that Dwyer had, but that's not entirely necessary. We just need him to not get tackled three yards into the play. If the guy can get the second level consistently, he's going to be very successful. We really need to get another 1,000+ yard guy at the B-back position, and I think he can do it. It's very important tot he offense's success.