Travis Custis and Jonathan Dwyer

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
How many of you think that Travis Custis can have an impact or at least be a 1000 yard rusher like Dwyer or even Anthony Allen? I know some might say that he's not as big, but he's listed right now in spring as 6'0 215. He will easily slide into a 220 lbs Bback. I think him and Justin Thomas are going to haunt defenses for years to come.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
I had hopes like this for Perkins as well. Custis looks the part and it was said last summer that he was a beast in the gym as well. Hopefully he can live up to the hype. If so it could help us land other stud b backs.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
While I don't think Custis will have the same impact IN HIS FIRST SEASON as Dwyer's first season, but ultimately I think Custis at least matches Dwyer's impact

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Custis isn't a Dwyer...there aren't many players that have the natural ability that Dwyer showed his Sophomore year at Tech. Dwyer had a special ability.

Custis is not as fast as Dwyer and doesn't have that top end speed...Custis is more of a power runner. Anthony Allen is a good comparison to use.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Custis isn't a Dwyer...there aren't many players that have the natural ability that Dwyer showed his Sophomore year at Tech. Dwyer had a special ability.

Custis is not as fast as Dwyer and doesn't have that top end speed...Custis is more of a power runner. Anthony Allen is a good comparison to use.

Well you never know, I've watched a Bey Bey tape from high school and he didn't look super fast back then, and he was clocked at like 4.6 on rivals, but he'll outrun almost any corner in the NFL. Or maybe I'm just optimistic ha.

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
I at least see Custis as 1,000 yard rusher in the future. Justin Thomas is going to be 1,000 passer and 1,000 rusher (hopefully no injury).

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck

Custis is as quick as dwyer but may not be quite as fast. i believe his hs coach stated several times he was/is faster than any of his backs which incuded Choice . I think we all would be tickled if he is in the class of those two. The only back I feel he wont match up to is Eddie Lee. Eric, I love the 1-8 comment that has been stated several times and feel this guy is the real deal. I coached Track and Field in Dekalb for several years and feel strongly this guy is the real deal. A sure fire 1-8.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I know it is fun to project how these guys are going to do and I am as optimistic as the next guy but, why don't we let the young man come in and show us what he can do? He might be a great one and then again he might be a bust. Usually the truth lies in the middle. Dwyer was a good player but he was not a great player. He is the best we have had during the Johnson era but we really have not had a great running back since Robert Lavette.

Go Jackets!

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I know it is fun to project how these guys are going to do and I am as optimistic as the next guy but, why don't we let the young man come in and show us what he can do? He might be a great one and then again he might be a bust. Usually the truth lies in the middle. Dwyer was a good player but he was not a great player. He is the best we have had during the Johnson era but we really have not had a great running back since Robert Lavette.

Go Jackets!
Its not as much fun to wait four years and tell you how great a kid was ! Sorry to be to optimistic. I will try to restrain my self.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Custis falls somewhere between Dwyer and our current BB's. He doesn't have game breaking speed like Dwyer did, but he also can make moves on the 2nd level by breaking tackles/jukes and gain huge yards (unlike Sims). All this talk is great, but it still boils down to how the OL play is going to be for the next few years. A lot of new faces and guys with just a little bit of experience. If OL gels together and becomes a solid unit then Custis has some hogs to run behind and make things happen.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Custis falls somewhere between Dwyer and our current BB's. He doesn't have game breaking speed like Dwyer did, but he also can make moves on the 2nd level by breaking tackles/jukes and gain huge yards (unlike Sims). All this talk is great, but it still boils down to how the OL play is going to be for the next few years. A lot of new faces and guys with just a little bit of experience. If OL gels together and becomes a solid unit then Custis has some hogs to run behind and make things happen.
Yeah if we are making the wrong reads and there are defenders running through gaps into the backfield then it doesn't matter how good your back is. Here's to hoping we see less defenders in the backfield this year. I feel pretty optimistic about the line though (as I do every year).

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
On the oline. Back when we had Dwyer and Allen our oline was bigger linemen(remember 08,09,10) after those years we got quality linemen, but not big hogs that maul you every snap. The Goon Squad had their moments, but I think inconsistent in my opinion. Looking at the big hogs we've got on the roster it looks promising. As others have mentioned before if the new oline gels and some guys can come back from injuries we should get a good push.