Transfers out

Richland County

Jolly Good Fellow
This wasn't the point made. The point was he was designated as the go-to guy last year. That shouldn't be a discussion at pointed out by @tbglover. I never said he was the most talented or most polished or even should have been the go-to guy. I'm not sure we're having the same conversation, and I don't know how we got here.
Unfortunately I may have misunderstood ur point.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Steinbeck is my favorite American author, but Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying" is da bomb. Hemingway ... meh.

My posts are not for everyone, not for those who have succumbed to paragraph-a-phobia. Feel free to skip, 'cause I ain't changing.
As I thought. You're a fan of flowery writing, not the stringent, hard, sparse writing of the master. I have all my new, young people struggling with writing narrative reports read The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber and A Rose for Emily. I tell them to write like the former and not like the latter. I love both short stories, but one is accessible by the general public, and one an English major would struggle with. I also tell them to stop writing the way they talk. Technical writing is an acquired skill that takes years of practice to master. Most never do.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Some say the fall of western civilization began when difficult to understand writing was automatically blamed on the author rather than the illiterate readers.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
As I thought. You're a fan of flowery writing, not the stringent, hard, sparse writing of the master. I have all my new, young people struggling with writing narrative reports read The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber and A Rose for Emily. I tell them to write like the former and not like the latter. I love both short stories, but one is accessible by the general public, and one an English major would struggle with. I also tell them to stop writing the way they talk. Technical writing is an acquired skill that takes years of practice to master. Most never do.
Steinbeck's writing is "flowery?" LOL. Now, if you want to talk about Henry James or Joseph Conrad, then I can understand. But Steinbeck, seriously?

"Technical writing" may not be the goal of every writer or considered by everyone the apex of writing styles for all situations.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Steinbeck's writing is "flowery?" LOL. Now, if you want to talk about Henry James or Joseph Conrad, then I can understand. But Steinbeck, seriously?

"Technical writing" may not be the goal of every writer or considered by everyone the apex of writing styles for all situations.
No!!! I was talking about Faulkner. The man that never met a period.

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

Tell em what you are going to tell them, tell them, tell them what you told them.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
No!!! I was talking about Faulkner. The man that never met a period.
Well, when he goes into "stream of consciossness" mode, yeah, but not all his works are like that. Check out "As I Lay Dying." He plays with the reader about who the protagonist and antagonist are, like a who dunnit, as the story unfolds. Never read anything like it, Big win, that one is.

BTW, I don't hold Hemingway in middling regard because of his terse writing style, but because his characters annoy me. Maybe I haven't picked-up the right work. Anyway, since the world is falling apart, starting with the 2008-9 bail outs, most all of my reading is now non-fiction.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Well, when he goes into "stream of consciossness" mode, yeah, but not all his works are like that. Check out "As I Lay Dying." He plays with the reader about who the protagonist and antagonist are, like a who dunnit, as the story unfolds. Never read anything like it, Big win, that one is.

BTW, I don't hold Hemingway in middling regard because of his terse writing style, but because his characters annoy me. Maybe I haven't picked-up the right work. Anyway, since the world is falling apart, starting with the 2008-9 bail outs, most all of my reading is now non-fiction.
I have a love/hate with Hemingway. Sometimes he seems almost formulaic. But “Farewell to Arms” and “Old Man and the Sea” are two of the finest pieces of writing there are, in my opinion. PBS had a documentary about Hemingway that is excellent.

“The Great Gatsby” by Fitzgerald is one of the great character studies of the trials of the rich. One of my all time favorites.

“Sound and Fury” is a subtle meditation on where “goodness” comes from in the human heart. Pretty deep stuff.

What was this thread about again?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Escapism. I love ice-berg literature. Both The Sound and the Fury and Absolom, Absolom! are going to be optional reading now that Miles has transferred to Auburn. I sure hope he is able to finish his Tech degree before going down to the Barn. I had a lot of fun at Auburn when I was an undergrad. It lost its charm when I was in grad school. Although I was an undergrad for 6-1/2 years (13 quarters of co-op), I was so over the undergraduate experience my final year or so. I was no van Wilder.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I have a love/hate with Hemingway. Sometimes he seems almost formulaic. But “Farewell to Arms” and “Old Man and the Sea” are two of the finest pieces of writing there are, in my opinion. PBS had a documentary about Hemingway that is excellent.

“The Great Gatsby” by Fitzgerald is one of the great character studies of the trials of the rich. One of my all time favorites.

“Sound and Fury” is a subtle meditation on where “goodness” comes from in the human heart. Pretty deep stuff.

What was this thread about again?

I read The Great Gatsby once a year. One of my all time favorites as well.

I'm not sure readers appreciate the brevity and conciseness of that book. It's only 180 pages, but so dense with symbolism, themes, and character development.

Winter Dreams is a short story by Fitzgerald that is similar to The Great Gatsby. In fact, they're related...you can see Fitzgerald working on the same themes and types of characters that eventually end up in the Great Gatsby.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Also, can somebody remind me what TF this thread is about?
Stay focused man. It's about bbq.....

jerk asshat GIF