Transfers out

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Many are just nostalgic for when college basketball was about school pride, conference pride, continuity, regional rivalries and some other things.

This is hot ****ing garbage.
Hang on…
Not sure who you’re responding to or what context I’m missing …
Blaming 18-22 year olds for the demise of it may indeed be hot f’ing garbage, but being nostalgic for it is not.
We’ve perverted the intent of so many things at this point, it’s sometime hard to tell who or what to object to.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Hang on…
Not sure who you’re responding to or what context I’m missing …
Blaming 18-22 year olds for the demise of it may indeed be hot f’ing garbage, but being nostalgic for it is not.
We’ve perverted the intent of so many things at this point, it’s sometime hard to tell who or what to object to.
I don’t blame the players or nostalgic people.

I blame journalists and talking heads that pushed for this for years and treated people that opposed them like ****. Now they are the ones screaming “how do we fix it?! What happened?”

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I blame the NCAA and Mark Emmert.
Goes without saying. My stance on that useless collection has been well documented. They basically conceded NIL as a "here, eat that, leave us alone" (Happy Gilmore) moment.

However, it took pressure from media and studio personalities swelling the support for these changes. Same goes with realignment which is something I despise. The ACC is going to change drastically in the next few years as we move towards two super conferences. Im not smart enough to know what that looks like or how it works but I know that I won't have the affinity for CBB that I had as a kid or even 10 years ago.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
That’s the start of an interesting theory…
There is the old football scouting adage that "hurt players get hurt." The circular reasoning means that if injured players can't help you and you want to avoid them, then injuries may be a red flag. .

I think we can apply parallel reasoning to the transfers: "Players in the portal transfer."

Just like not every injured football player is destined to keep getting injured, not every portal player is selfish in the extreme. But a red flag is a red flag.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
There is the old football scouting adage that "hurt players get hurt." The circular reasoning means that if injured players can't help you and you want to avoid them, then injuries may be a red flag. .

I think we can apply parallel reasoning to the transfers: "Players in the portal transfer."

Just like not every injured football player is destined to keep getting injured, not every portal player is selfish in the extreme. But a red flag is a red flag.
Me thinks you have implicit bias against transfers.

The top level transfers generally are a strong positive for the new team. The low level transfers that didn’t do much at their prior school generally don’t do much at their new school.

The large middle group is similar to the large middle group of HS recruits. Some do very well and some don’t do well.

A lot depends on the right fit which school, coaching staff and scheme the team runs.

Once the Covid guys are all done, seems like forever, a clearer picture will emerge.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
At the core of it is a relationship that exists between the concepts of "rootedness" as a psychological state and "team" as a functional body.

In my mind, winning in basketball is not so much a mere summation of production of individual players. It really is a team game.

If a player is not rooted to some degree in a program, I am skeptical how much he can help a team win.

The portal numbers as well at the emergence of players that are serial transferers suggests to me that a threshold has been reached where players are not rooted enough to help a team win.

There are good players to be had but there is also a lot of wasted talent.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
At the core of it is a relationship that exists between the concepts of "rootedness" as a psychological state and "team" as a functional body.

In my mind, winning in basketball is not so much a mere summation of production of individual players. It really is a team game.

If a player is not rooted to some degree in a program, I am skeptical how much he can help a team win.

The portal numbers as well at the emergence of players that are serial transferers suggests to me that a threshold has been reached where players are not rooted enough to help a team win.

There are good players to be had but there is also a lot of wasted talent.
It’s impossible to prescribe one “best” approach. Example: Haynes King. There was certainly some skepticism of him coming in but he took a leadership position on the offense pretty darn fast and was a transfer that created positive team cohesion.

I don’t think you can turn over 75% of a roster every year and achieve sustained success. But you can be successful with any number of transfers if they can fit in with the pieces you have. The most likely path to success is probably 1-2 transfers in per year, and a core of recruits that you keep for 2-4 years.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
It’s impossible to prescribe one “best” approach. Example: Haynes King. There was certainly some skepticism of him coming in but he took a leadership position on the offense pretty darn fast and was a transfer that created positive team cohesion.

I don’t think you can turn over 75% of a roster every year and achieve sustained success. But you can be successful with any number of transfers if they can fit in with the pieces you have. The most likely path to success is probably 1-2 transfers in per year, and a core of recruits that you keep for 2-4 years.
Transfers are essential in today’s college basketball landscape. Try and find a very successful team that did not have at minimum one transfer who was a key player in their team’s success.

It is all about the fit and relationship between the transferring player and the new school, Coach, scheme and current players.

Teams that ignore the Portal will struggle in their Conferences.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Transfers are essential in today’s college basketball landscape. Try and find a very successful team that did not have at minimum one transfer who was a key player in their team’s success.

It is all about the fit and relationship between the transferring player and the new school, Coach, scheme and current players.

Teams that ignore the Portal will struggle in their Conferences.
Without Will Bynum, there's no way we go to the championship game.