Transfer Portal

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
Any inside Intel on the status of Reid? I would think he'd have been plucked up by a power 5 school by now.

Also, Tyler Hare is also in the portal but lighting up Summer ball. Any word on his situation?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Any inside Intel on the status of Reid? I would think he'd have been plucked up by a power 5 school by now.

Also, Tyler Hare is also in the portal but lighting up Summer ball. Any word on his situation?
Based on @FittedJacket post... Reid has more classroom work before graduating. So... I did wonder about that. Assuming he wanted to graduate from Tech, can he "transfer" before that?

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I may be wrong but it would seem to me that the longer this goes on the less likely he is to transfer. If he was being poached by another team with a sweetheart NIL deal wouldn't it already have happened? Maybe I am looking through gold colored lenses because I really hope he comes back. Obviously it would make our team stronger, but I think it benefits him the most having seen how much he has improved under coach Ramsey.

GTBallfan

Georgia Tech Fan
I may be wrong but it would seem to me that the longer this goes on the less likely he is to transfer. If he was being poached by another team with a sweetheart NIL deal wouldn't it already have happened? Maybe I am looking through gold colored lenses because I really hope he comes back. Obviously it would make our team stronger, but I think it benefits him the most having seen how much he has improved under coach Ramsey.
I would love to see him back also- but I do believe he can have a deal to transfer after he graduates in the fall. Which could be why we are not hearing anything now.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
There are lots of layers to this. I'm not comfortable making this about Reid, though. His personal situation is his to figure out.

I am a clueless fan regarding how the finances of scholarships work... as in how 11.7 are distributed over a roster of "4 classes" with extra covid eligibility.

So... generically... how competitive is Ga Tech with NIL? In the state of Georgia? In ACC/SEC? In "rest of high end D1 baseball"?

Bottom line... is NIL a net "benefit" to acquiring & retaining baseball talent OR problematic for Ga Tech?

GTBallfan

Georgia Tech Fan
There are lots of layers to this. I'm not comfortable making this about Reid, though. His personal situation is his to figure out.

I am a clueless fan regarding how the finances of scholarships work... as in how 11.7 are distributed over a roster of "4 classes" with extra covid eligibility.

So... generically... how competitive is Ga Tech with NIL? In the state of Georgia? In ACC/SEC? In "rest of high end D1 baseball"?

Bottom line... is NIL a net "benefit" to acquiring & retaining baseball talent OR problematic for Ga Tech?
He’s a good kid- he should have been drafted this year. Wonder why he wasn’t to be honest. Also wonder why he would leave GT at all- thinking the two are tied together somehow?!?

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer

There is program NIL and also individual NIL. Both can be lucrative. Other schools definitely shell out more NIL money than GT, That is a fact. But there have been GT players that do well with NIL by themselves/agents some waaaay more than others…

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Noah lands at Clemson
1690685754835.png

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Reed Schaefer, LHP. Transfer from Ariz. to GT. Rising Sophomore. #1 LHP in Nevada; #76 LHP in the Nation. 6’3” 205. Hometown: Las Vegas, Nev.
High School: Desert Oasis HS.
Arizona 2022 (Freshman)
Made one relief appearance in true freshman season...Collegiate debut on Feb. 22 against Grand Canyon (1.0,1,2,1,1,1).

High School
Prepped at Desert Oasis High School in Las Vegas...Lettered four years in baseball under head coach Paul Buboltz and three years in tennis...Finished prep career ranked by Perfect Game as the No. 1 left-handed pitcher in Nevada for the 2021 class...Perfect Game Preseason Underclass All-American in 2020 and Preseason All-American in 2021...Excelled in the classroom, earning Academic All-State honors four times.

Personal
Reed Patrick Schaefer...Son of Brett and Jessica Schaefer...One older brother, Cole...Majoring in Mathematics with an emphasis in Economics and Business...Brother played baseball at the College of Southern Nevada...Enjoys playing pool basketball and watching movies in his free time...Third generation Wildcat...Chose Arizona because, "I have been a fan and attended games my entire life. I also wanted a chance to play at a premier program while working towards my degree."

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Add in Brett Thomas, graduate transfer from South Carolina, already in school. 6’ 5”, 240# pitcher, highly touted out of Riverwood High School, injured most of career at South Carolina.
Yes he is. I apologize for omitting him.
Per LinkedIn: Brett Thomas is enrolled at GT. Right Handed Pitcher//Height: 6-5
//Weight: 245//Class: Rising 5th yr. Sr.//B/T: R/R//Hometown: Atlanta, Ga.//High School: Riverwood HS