Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
137, imo the fact of the matter is: a coach will play the guy they trust the most to get the job done. Coaches tend to like their salaries, especially the HC and Co-ords. That's why top programs, like Clem, ND, & uga, have Soph and even Fr OL starters. Getting good players early from HS vs average players two years later is a good bet, in the long term.
Fixed it for you (with my take). It's less about the best player and more about the player the coach believes will get it done.

JacketFan137

Banned
Shouldn’t those normally be the same guy? What am I missing?
best example is fromm vs justin fields. literally everyone knows fields is 10x the qb fromm was, and nfl draft capital showed that. kirby wouldn’t play him though because fromm was the guy last year that he trusted

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
T. Choice
Was the Sooners starting RB after spring practice in 2004 before he got injured and lost his job to one of the best RBs of all time. He still managed to get some playing time. Again, not really the type of guy I’m talking about.

JacketFan137

Banned
Agreed, I'm happy were hitting the portal hard to secure depth. Some people on this board always want to see the negative in everything.
yeah depth is a huge deal and maybe 2 or 3 become big time starters. i would consider that a success.

i’m also glad we got some guys with 3/4 years of eligibility. if they end up starting early then we secured some pieces for multiple years

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I don’t understand any of the angst from people around taking transfer players. Projecting how a player will do is a crapshoot, and the more data the better. After a few years in a college S&C program guys have developed to where they are more likely to stay at than considering evaluating a 17 year old kid trying to eat what he can, doing lifts he saw online because his high school doesn’t have a proper program etc.

If the staff (we pay and measure against progress) is happy with their takes then so be it. They’re getting measured in W/L so getting into the details about these players (when we don’t have the benefit of the coaching/recruiting staff’s access to the players/knowledge of scheme changes or fit with current plan/overall football IQ) seems more trivial than we typically get in our.. wait for it..

Last edited:

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Goalpost getting moved quite a bit here
The goal post hasn't changed at all. My original point was that we are taking several guys who couldnt find much if any playing time at their previous schools. Not just any random transfer that ever happened. We are building parts of our team around these guys and some suggested that what we should do as a general strategy. I simply disagree.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Jameson Williams had a whole 15 receptions when he transferred from Ohio State. Joe Burrow had less than 30 pass attempts at Ohio St. JJ Watt didn't even play defense at central michigan. There are plenty of names that blossomed away from their first school.
That one I will admit was mostly because of the talent around him. Hard to be the 4th best receiver on your team, even if you are good. There just aren't enough touches to go around. I'm not sure we are bringing in guys quite like that though.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
I don’t understand any of the angst from people around taking transfer players.
They crap on a younger, inexperienced player who’s transferring in, because he’s obviously trash if he didn’t start as an 18 year old at a P5 school and is willing to come to dumpster fire Georgia Tech to play for Geoff Collins. But if that same player were leaving Tech? He’d be considered a world beater and it would be an indictment on the staff for letting him slip away.

They like to criticize inexperienced transfers coming from the likes of Kansas and Kentucky, but conveniently ignore the ones from Clemson, Bama, ND, and Auburn. Yes, I know those players didn’t play a lot at those schools, but they’re YOUNG and it’s CLEMSON, BAMA, ND, and AU. The best recruits on the planet go to those schools.

Oh, they must be scrubs because they’re coming from Buffalo, Wyoming, and Memphis? 1000 yard rusher at RB, Freshman AA/multi year starter at DE, and a multi year starter with 12.5 sacks at DT. Oh, but that was against G5 competition so it doesn’t count. Add Zach Gibson to this list.

Never mind the production we’re getting with Hassan Hall…or the speed, production and potential at TE we’re getting with Luke Benson.

I’m sure this post will get quoted and cherry picked.