Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I think this is what is being referred to:

“I know the truth about this place. Somebody asked me how are you going to recruit to Georgia Tech differently than you were at Alabama. I said, ‘(Expletive), it’s going to be easier. It’s going to be so much easier. I’ve got more to offer.’"

I've always had a bone to pick with people misunderstanding this quote. He's not saying it will be easier to get 5-star recruits to come here. What he is saying is that because he attended the school, he has a lot more relevant information to talk about, his experiences, classes, etc etc because this is his alma mater. Which therefore makes it a lot easier to promote our school to recruits. He can't provide that context at Alabama.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I've always had a bone to pick with people misunderstanding this quote. He's not saying it will be easier to get 5-star recruits to come here. What he is saying is that because he attended the school, he has a lot more relevant information to talk about, his experiences, classes, etc etc because this is his alma mater. Which therefore makes it a lot easier to promote our school to recruits. He can't provide that context at Alabama.

Agenda gone agenda

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This regime said from the get go we could recruit with the factories. They said they were going to return us to greatness. The reality is we can’t and returning to greatness is laughable, we’re not even mediocre.
Recruiting per se isn't the problem. It was heating up until the poor coaching and the disappointing record doused it. Recruiting cooled and some of our best players opted out.
If Collins and company could have coached as well as they recruited, we'd be talking extensions instead of firing.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
The upcoming season will be interesting. Our coaching staff has been handed tough changes with NIL, Transfer Portal, Coaching Merry go round, contracts Time/ $$$ etc.

CGC & CBK have graciously been given a chance to prove their approach can gain traction this next season. I renewed my season tickets in support of the players mostly and buying into the notion leadership can show progress to accomplish some of the hype we have been sold.

It’s actually refreshing for it to be very clear this next seasons measured improvements will be welcomed while hyperbole will be met with a brutal reaction and change…it’s sadly akin to a reality show…
The problem is we needed the new members of the staff, plus at least one other major change in Year 1 not Year 4. We wasted 3 years seeing if many of those now shown the exit could coach. Maybe we didn't have the time to get a proper staff assembled right off the bat, but it was crystal clear after 1 season that some big changes needed to be made. We're now 2 more years down the road & we're still clinging to a couple for some reason.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The problem is we needed the new members of the staff, plus at least one other major change in Year 1 not Year 4. We wasted 3 years seeing if many of those now shown the exit could coach. Maybe we didn't have the time to get a proper staff assembled right off the bat, but it was crystal clear after 1 season that some big changes needed to be made. We're now 2 more years down the road & we're still clinging to a couple for some reason.
That couple would be Thacker and Key in my book.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Look no one dislikes CGC more than I do, but year one was a rebuild and I just don't see replacing an Asst coach after year 1. Now we move to year 2 (or was it really year 2) being that was the covid year even I can't count it but still didn't like the way CGC run things but I have to question if I could blame any Asst, coaches. After last year 2 or 3 (last year) depending how you look at that covid year, Yes it was time to replace some coaches and I would have to added Thacker to that list. Now After this year if it ends up like the others there would be a need to replace the man running things. ( Would that happen? not if the AD is still here)

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Depth has always been and will always be an issue at GT. Positions always most impacted are OL, DL and secondary (remember all the FSU and UGA games where our secondary was just worn down by the end of the game). Despite all the hype we're not a BiGTime program so we don't amass the depth of talent that the bigger schools do - we never will. Got to be smarter and can't set out to beat everyone at the same game.

As for the OL the last two years, yeah, it sure seems like they guys are not being coached up to their potential. Not to say we should have an elite or even top 50% of the conference OL, but our technique and fundamentals are pretty poot - at least that's my layman's observation. CBK may be a great OL coach - we haven't seen any evidence to date of this.
All this is true. But it’s about our #12 issue and not a major one. NIU came into our stadium and beat us up in week 1. Depth was not an issue at all. It was game 1 and we were healthy.

Our #1 issue is our head coach does not know how to run a team to get positive results. That NIU game was the culmination of 2 years of this coach. We got beat up physically and out schemed mentally. Our head coach had no answer. He has bred a soft team both physically and mentally. It’s just sad. By 100-0 the team had just given up. I’ve never seen that before from a GT program. Last year was by far the worst season of any GT sport I’ve ever witnessed. The next coach is going to have a much bigger transition than this one had because the entire culture has to shift from a ”look at me“ mentality to a look “at what we’ve done”. It’s gonna be a trek to get away from a soft mentality.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Agenda gone agenda

I don't disagree with either of you. I was simply providing the quote for context. It can be easily misconstrued, and in my opinion, it has been repeatedly.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
All this is true. But it’s about our #12 issue and not a major one. NIU came into our stadium and beat us up in week 1. Depth was not an issue at all. It was game 1 and we were healthy.

Our #1 issue is our head coach does not know how to run a team to get positive results. That NIU game was the culmination of 2 years of this coach. We got beat up physically and out schemed mentally. Our head coach had no answer. He has bred a soft team both physically and mentally. It’s just sad. By 100-0 the team had just given up. I’ve never seen that before from a GT program. Last year was by far the worst season of any GT sport I’ve ever witnessed. The next coach is going to have a much bigger transition than this one had because the entire culture has to shift from a ”look at me“ mentality to a look “at what we’ve done”. It’s gonna be a trek to get away from a soft mentality.

interesting take. idiotic, but interesting.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting per se isn't the problem. It was heating up until the poor coaching and the disappointing record doused it. Recruiting cooled and some of our best players opted out.
If Collins and company could have coached as well as they recruited, we'd be talking extensions instead of firing.
Recruiting is more than getting new guys, it’s also keeping them in the program so we can reep what’s sown. Especially now with the portal. You have to recruit the guys who are already here every year. Once they figure out they were sold empty promises, good luck with that.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Quote the factory commit for us please.

You talking outta both sides of your mouth again. In one instance, you didn’t want guys “processed” so younger guys could get the reps but you also expect the OL recruited that are in their 2nd & 3rd yr to be ready as soon they are put in.
I expected some sign of development and incremental improvement. I saw neither. I also expected the hyped transfers not to suck.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
But that doesn't fit the narrative.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think the changes would have come after Year 2 had we not had the Covid experience. I think that pushed everything a year down the road and the fans a year closer to giving up.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

I have. 1994. Not sure this team gave up last year as much as they were just overpowered by the end of the season. It seems you weren't around in 1994.